PDA

View Full Version : What caused this kaboom?

Gentoo
05-11-09, 00:09
In this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=871892) thread over on TOS, a person had a kaboom in his Glock.

I was wondering what would cause this, and am asking here for a more educated commentary.

ErnieB
05-11-09, 00:41
I have seen several kabooms and almost all are caused by over pressured ammo usually in .45 acp. That's because it is possible to double charge a .45 round and still seat the bullet.

ralph
05-11-09, 02:27
According to the OP in the thread, it was a case rupture, Factory ammo (Rem UMC) NO reloads were involved. Usual suspects, lack of chamber support of case...

tpd223
05-11-09, 03:56
I saw that exact thing happen with a friend's Commander that was few a double charged reload. I'd guessing either bad brass or overpressure round.

ToddG
05-11-09, 07:53
Having been present once for the supposedly impossible combination of kB! in a (1) 9mm Glock using (2) factory ammunition, and having talked with far too many department and club rangemasters to believe anything involving kB!s is an "isolated incident," I won't jump to the conclusion that it was a bad round.

But it certainly could have been a bad round. Remington's UMC is not usually considered one of the top quality choices even among the low-price practice ammo market.

But if I had to speculate, it was probably a combination of poor case support and the gun firing slightly out of battery.

Jeremy Stafford
05-11-09, 09:02
Glocks firing out of battery are way more common than Glock would care to admit. My Department had some huge issues with the 21's, and part of the problem was OOB strikes. To Glock's credit, they fixed it (for the most part) and we have seen a huge decline in 21 issues. It remains my choice for on duty carry. (although that M&P is reeeal sexy....)

markm
05-11-09, 09:40
I had a pretty knowledgeable guy tell me that Glock has people send Kabizzled guns to a third party for independent analysis now. And that typically, the guns are shown to have been subjected to pressures way beyond acceptable pistol ammo levels.

:confused:

John_Wayne777
05-11-09, 09:43
There is a LOT of window-licking going on in that thread.

"Why the Glock hate??"

The guy is out shooting, his gun goes BOOM, and he posts a thread about it...which, of course, means that he's out to get Glock. :rolleyes: I simply do not understand how Glock "perfection" has become an article of faith among so many. Pointing to simple truth is received about as well among Glock believers as Martin Luther's thesis was in Rome.

I'm not an expert and I didn't even stay at the Holiday Inn last night, but my untrained eye doesn't see any signs of excessive pressure (like a bulged primer) on the ruptured case. It's possible that particular round was out of spec somehow.....

But I'm going to place my bet on an out of battery shot.

sigmundsauer
05-11-09, 12:54
Truly amazing to see how many people think "case failure" just because they are staring at a hole in the case, as if thin-walled brass was ever enough to contain chamber pressures???!!! OK -- that's the chamber's job, dolt.

Glocks have too many poor design aspects that, when aligned, can theoretically lead to problems. The nearly indisputed fact that kB! is more closely linked to Glocks than other pistols should be a clue that it is nearly as much reality as theory. Mechanically, they can fire out of battery. Chamber pressure is doubtlessly higher due to the polygonal rifling. And, most of their chambers are heavily throated. You put those all together, and perhaps mix in some minor variations in ammo manufacture, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I like my Glocks in 9 millimeter, only....not that that is insurance from tragedy.

Tim

TAZ
05-11-09, 17:49
It's all a WAG since we have no access to the gun or ammo,but I am leaning towards an out of battery strike. The poster mentioned drawing the gun and shooting. I know that when using leather I can push my guns out of battery easily till the holster breaks in. Maybe his never went back into battery when he drew and boom.

Glad to see he was ok for the most part.

warpigM-4
05-11-09, 20:07
It seems i remember reading something about Glocks 45's having a chamber issue or was it a firing out of battery issue?? I had a G30 for about 4 years shot a few hundred rounds through it with not one hick up (wolf,walmart ammo etc.) .But I sold it, it was like holding a 2x4 in my hand it just did not fit.

I am glad the shooter still has all his fingers .a friends dad had a Mac-10 that got some gunk in the firing pin and fired out of battery and blew the tip of his finger off . luck it did not kill him

herd118
05-11-09, 21:08
My favorite Glock video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbsvGKoYK0c&feature=channel_page

MarshallDodge
05-11-09, 21:34
That looks like a reload to me based on the primer color. I don't have a round to check against but I don't remember Rem UMC ammo having a silver colored primer. They should be a brass color from what I remember.

Aggunner
05-11-09, 22:19
Been there, done that and the thing that upsets me the most is that when I asked the glock rep at an armorers course I got this as a reply, "oh, i've never heard of that and i'll look into it."

I've seen it happen on at least 5 different occasions and have experienced it twice myself. I know i know that you shouldn't shoot reloads, but why is it that I can shoot the same loads through other guns and not have the issue.

The only time I've seen this is with the 40/10/357 sigs and not the 9s.

TY44934
05-13-09, 14:06
looks like the bullet set back in the case.