PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Warrior: Green Beret vs. Spetznaz

redsox20
05-11-09, 14:25
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up. Don't know if you seen the show it's rather interesting. A waring though the teams tend to be passionate very passionate. Otherwise it is an interesting for a historical stand point. Any who it's this Tuesday at 10 est here's the website: http://www.spike.com/show/31082 Just a friendly heads up.

Mike

John_Wayne777
05-11-09, 15:54
Guaranteed to be gayer than Elton John sitting on Richard Simmons' lap while singing "Lollipop."

I inflicted 10 minutes of that show upon myself while taking a break from writing one of the many papers I had to turn in this semester....if I could go back in time I would slap myself and order myself to get back to writing the paper.

redsox20
05-11-09, 16:41
Guaranteed to be gayer than Elton John sitting on Richard Simmons' lap while singing "Lollipop." yikes

I inflicted 10 minutes of that show upon myself while taking a break from writing one of the many papers I had to turn in this semester....if I could go back in time I would slap myself and order myself to get back to writing the paper.

Yeah it does remind me of a site that will go with out name.

YVK
05-11-09, 18:02
I am anxiously waiting for Chuck Norris vs. Jack Bauer segment.

dhrith
05-11-09, 18:25
"I am anxiously waiting for Chuck Norris vs. Jack Bauer segment"

roflmao

Mark71
05-11-09, 18:25
Guaranteed to be gayer than Elton John sitting on Richard Simmons' lap while singing "Lollipop."

Haha..... Sounds like a great show :D

Gutshot John
05-11-09, 18:48

You too huh?

"Straight up, country-music, special olympic ghey"

Kimbo
05-11-09, 18:57
I saw the Mafia vs Yakuza. It was amusing to watch as they shoot up mannequins that had blood packets inside of them. Decent show, wouldn't say it's amazing...

05-11-09, 19:21
Spetsnaz is used by pinkos to refer to ANY special operations(think DEA as well as Delta) group. Just goes to show you how much the producers don't know and how they were played by Russia.

JSantoro
05-11-09, 19:28

My own frequently-used Elton John epithet goes like this: Gayer than Elton John banging Liberace's corpse on top of the grave of Pedro from The Real World, Season 1.

This show's premise has been done before in book form, and done better because it's couched in terms of being a joke or a bet: http://www.amazon.com/Andy-Roddick-Beat-Frying-Pan/dp/0307352803. Read the book, one might learn something.

I watched the Viking vs. Samurai episode, and I'm sure I'm going to eventually miss the 30 points it forcibly deducted from my IQ.

Iraq Ninja
05-11-09, 19:34
Did they mention anything about the supposed time in Vietnam or Cambodia when an SF team went up against a Spetznaz unit? A guy on my team is a former GRU spetznaz and says that was the story he was told during training, along with documents describing the battle. The SF team was killed to the last man. No sure if it was a SOG team, LRRP, or what...

redsox20
05-11-09, 19:44
It airs tomorrow but I doubt that they'll mention it. The sox's will be on at the same time so I'll most likely be watching the game.

Sam
05-11-09, 19:49
I am anxiously waiting for Chuck Norris vs. Jack Bauer segment.

Nah, more like Chuck Norris vs. Rambo.

JSandi
05-11-09, 21:05
Call me when they make one with my first ex-wife vs. my second ex-wife, now that would be a battle to behold, possibly would rival two demons from Hell fighting to the death.
:eek::eek::eek:

ghost762
05-11-09, 21:36
Set the Tivo to record it.

ErikL
05-11-09, 22:40
just to warm everyone up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw&feature=related

that show is about as gay as the linked video.

Pilgrim
05-11-09, 22:47
I myself, would not want to mess with Sonny Puzikas.

Hope to be able to train with him soon though.

PT Doc
05-11-09, 23:01

He will be in ATL in October. Definitely the real deal.

John_Wayne777
05-11-09, 23:09
just to warm everyone up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw&feature=related

I never knew that those maze thingies they use to control the line at amusement parks could be a valuable training tool.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

exkc135driver
05-11-09, 23:40

I trained with him about 2 years ago. Good training. But I definitely wouldn't mess with him.

mmike87
05-12-09, 07:14
I record it for my kid. He likes them.

I thought the initial ones were interesting - with the Spartans, Ninja, etc. Once they did knight vs. pirate (wtf?) that started to get corny. Then the mafia / yakuza put it over the top IMO.

Half the time they sit there saying "Wow, that did so much damage, that guy is dead" etc. No shit. He got hit in the head with a baseball bat - what is there to analyze? Their anaylsis of the Sten vs. the Thompson was amusing as well.

Also, where to you find a "Yakuza weapons expert" anyway? :)

I watch it ... it's amusing ... but I think they are already out of ideas.

This reminds me of the show that use to pit the animals against one another - like the shark vs. the saltwater croc, etc. Anyone remember that one? I forget the name.

LMarshall73
05-12-09, 11:26
I've managed to sit through all of the shows thus far. I think the forensic experiments are pretty interesting (particularly now that they are using pigs more often). Tonight's show could be pretty interesting as well since it's the first time they are comparing warriors from the same time period.

Everyone should just take it for what it's worth - entertainment.

Business_Casual
05-12-09, 11:41

Watching that video made me buy a cat.

I'll get you for this, ErikL!

M_P

30 cal slut
05-13-09, 07:08
i caught the show by chance last night.

spetsnaz was declared the victor over the green berets last night.

there was a retired spetsnaz dude on the show, which i thought was interesting.

the show's computer simulator gave the edge to spetsnaz over two things, from what i could tell:

1. better pistol accuracy (shooting on the move at night with NODS, the russian did it with a makarov one-handed, scored mortal hits on all three targets, interestingly, near the collarbone). the russian took his time shooting one-handed. the green beret was faster getting off 3 rounds on three targets, but only grazed his second target.

2. the russian got points for a spring-loaded knife, which supposedly had more lethality than the green beret's folding shovel. :confused:

the show was interesting, but i really wonder if there is a fallacy here in trying to extrapolate the effectiveness of entire organizations from two samples.

mmike87
05-13-09, 07:27
i caught the show by chance last night.

spetsnaz was declared the victor over the green berets last night.

there was a retired spetsnaz dude on the show, which i thought was interesting.

the show's computer simulator gave the edge to spetsnaz over two things, from what i could tell:

1. better pistol accuracy (shooting on the move at night with NODS, the russian did it with a makarov one-handed, scored mortal hits on all three targets, interestingly, near the collarbone). the russian took his time shooting one-handed. the green beret was faster getting off 3 rounds on three targets, but only grazed his second target.

2. the russian got points for a spring-loaded knife, which supposedly had more lethality than the green beret's folding shovel. :confused:

the show was interesting, but i really wonder if there is a fallacy here in trying to extrapolate the effectiveness of entire organizations from two samples.

Their anaylsis of weapons is often overly simplistic. They hands down gave the advantage to the Russian and his Saiga 12 over the Mossberg. The Russian was given a test with multiple targets in rapid fire, the Green Beret was given a hanging pig - verdict, Spetznaz is better? WTF?

I'm no expert - but I'm 100% confident that Green Beret could have shot the same course of fire with his Mossberg as the Spetznaz and his Saiga 12. The test was bullshit. They should always shoot the same tests when it's practical.

The ballistic knife was pretty gay IMO. The fact that this was the deciding factor in the battle was even "gayer". That shovel LITERALLY took the targets head off - bad ass IMO.

I liked to comments of the GB's - "we're proven" and they were not going to listen to a couple of "techno geeks" to tell them they "lost" - :)

The GB's also commented on the Russian's funky rolls and dance moves, too. I thought that was funny. Something to the effect of "in the time it takes him to do that roll, he'll already be dead."

I was surprised they just didn't automatically give the advantage to the AK74 over the M4 with some sort of reliability argument.

I like the show overall - when the episodes are detailing historical warriors. I like the info on the historical weapons, but I think the show is gay when they start profiling modern weapons and modern warriors. It doesn't work at that point.

Not saying the Spetznaz are not tough guys - I'm sure they are 20 times the badass I'd ever even HOPE to be. But let's keep the tests consistent and fair.

redsox20
05-13-09, 10:44
This reminds me of the show that use to pit the animals against one another - like the shark vs. the saltwater croc, etc. Anyone remember that one? I forget the name.

I remember that show and it does remind me of Deadliest Warrior. That holster the spentznaz was using was neat, but I'm surprised no one has brought up the "burst" on the selector on the M4. I thought it was a three not four position selector:confused:. I think the show is spinning it's wheels i mean what else is out there not much my guess.

Gutshot John
05-13-09, 10:56
I remember that show and it does remind me of Deadliest Warrior. That holster the spentznaz was using was neat, but I'm surprised no one has brought up the "burst" on the selector on the M4. I thought it was a three not four position selector:confused:. I think the show is spinning it's wheels i mean what else is out there not much my guess.

There are four position selectors as well. At 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. I was also given a funny story by an LEO on how they can be confusing when shooting competition.

The problem ultimately is that it's a flawed comparison. Spetznaz is probably tough and brutal and in a one-on-one fight might easily demolish the SF. The tactical nature of the comparison favors the Spetznaz. SF however is a strategic fighter.

Drop a dozen of each of them in some failed state with a goal of taking territory through force multiplication and the SF wins every time.

A better comparison would have been the Navy SeAL or Army Ranger.

Thomas M-4
05-13-09, 11:03
Their anaylsis of weapons is often overly simplistic. They hands down gave the advantage to the Russian and his Saiga 12 over the Mossberg. The Russian was given a test with multiple targets in rapid fire, the Green Beret was given a hanging pig - verdict, Spetznaz is better? WTF?

I'm no expert - but I'm 100% confident that Green Beret could have shot the same course of fire with his Mossberg as the Spetznaz and his Saiga 12. The test was bullshit. They should always shoot the same tests when it's practical.

The ballistic knife was pretty gay IMO. The fact that this was the deciding factor in the battle was even "gayer". That shovel LITERALLY took the targets head off - bad ass IMO.

I liked to comments of the GB's - "we're proven" and they were not going to listen to a couple of "techno geeks" to tell them they "lost" - :)

The GB's also commented on the Russian's funky rolls and dance moves, too. I thought that was funny. Something to the effect of "in the time it takes him to do that roll, he'll already be dead."

I was surprised they just didn't automatically give the advantage to the AK74 over the M4 with some sort of reliability argument.

I like the show overall - when the episodes are detailing historical warriors. I like the info on the historical weapons, but I think the show is gay when they start profiling modern weapons and modern warriors. It doesn't work at that point.

Not saying the Spetznaz are not tough guys - I'm sure they are 20 times the badass I'd ever even HOPE to be. But let's keep the tests consistent and fair.

I agree they should perform the same test for every weapon if you dont you skew the results. Also didnt know the M-4 had 4 position selector switch and SF guy was right the russian had a none lethal hit with the markrovav he hit the target in the collar bone. The ballistic knife GAY GAY GAY.
Like most russian weapons they look good on paper but in real life its usually a death trap for the user . Example T-72
The russian holster looked neat but I am pretty sure its not the safest way to carry a pistol like I said looks good on paper until it proven in the real world.

mattjmcd
05-13-09, 11:21
Didn't watch the show.

Did they have a competition stage in which the 2 groups had to call for precision fires to bust an enemy attack? (while 500+ miles from friendly forces):eek:

30 cal slut
05-13-09, 11:37
i wonder how different the outcome would have been in a matchup vs. one of our 1-SFOD-Delta guys (the best gunfighters in the world). :D

Business_Casual
05-13-09, 11:47
Say what you want about how flawed the comparison was, but that SF dude crunched the trigger on the M9 repeatedly.

M_P

mmike87
05-13-09, 11:48
I don't know - I saw the Russian's holster and thought "WTF?" ...

I think the Russians were more keen on looking and sounding cool and the GB's seemed a bit more reserved.

The GB DID miss one of those handgun targets though which was unfortunate - but that silly knife was the deciding factor not the handguns, anyway.

Seriously, that shovel literally cuts the dummy's head in half. I don't think the Viking battle axe did that during that episode.

Next week should be more interesting - I like seeing the info on the older warriors and their equipment and tactics. I think that is where the show has some positive points - they should stay away from modern stuff or silly stuff like Mafia vs. Yakuza. :confused:

30 cal slut
05-13-09, 11:59
how 'bout arfcom vs. m4c? :p

PvtPyle
05-13-09, 12:12
The whole thing was gheyer than a sack full of dicks. Not only did they not compair apples to apples in equipment and the types of tests but the computer generated combat crap at the end was full of fail. Whoever those actors are needed to have at least some decent coaching on CQB tactics.

LMarshall73
05-13-09, 12:28
I was disappointed, not that Spetsnaz won (I enjoyed watching Sonny work), but that they didn't do actual head to head comparisons. Put the Russian grenade in a washing machine and the US grenade in a plexiglass enclosure? WTF? With similar weapons it should have been a straight up head to head contest. Mossberg & Saiga vs. the pig, then both run the course. Why didn't they shoot the ballistics dummy with the AK74? An E-Tool vs a knife? Why not the E-Tool vs the Spetsnaz shovel (a shovel that all Spetsnaz troops are trained to use as a impact, edged, and throwing weapon)? I also have a hard time believing that the M24 was faster than the SVD. The fact that the M24 placed every shot between the eyes is immaterial when you consider the fundamental differences in sniper doctrines between the US and Russia. Did both rifles deliver fatal shots? Absolutely. I really wish they would have taken the Green Beret at his boasting and put the targets at 1000m. Using the ballistic dummies to see the difference between the 7.62NATO and the 7.62x54R would have been interesting to see as well.

LMarshall73
05-13-09, 12:49
Here is what Sonny had to say on another site:

Getting ready to fly off to LA (Hollywood s$$t...) for a day or two- will expand more and answer questions once I'm back.
In short: This was nothing more than entertainment and business... That's the way TV works.
The one finger salute was meant for the director. In editing they made it look if I'm flipping off GB's...
GB's brought their own weapons. We were not allowed. Initially they promised AN94, VS99, Giurza pistol... Naaawww.
SVD was very poor quality romanian POS. Max was not given opportunity to zero it in before filming. The M24 was one of GB's personal rifle- zeroed, tuned, etc.
Saiga was without pistol grip and NO sights.
Makarov it wasn't... Some unnamed copy...
Gen 1 NVG's...
Much footage and discussions didn't make the cut.
GB's were nice enough guys. Little "big mouthed" (especially initially), but nice and friendly.
Director was constantly egging us on to talk smack. Non stop.
Off to LA to film aftermath and meet with some folks about future projects...
Thanks all...

Interesting.

CarlosDJackal
05-13-09, 13:46
Notice how they spend more time equating the term "Warrior" with weapons effectiveness and lethality.

HOLLYWOOD!! :rolleyes:

bcbrown2
05-13-09, 15:27
Did anyone else catch how many times the camera (and, I assume, the cameraman) was swept with the muzzle during the "dynamic" Spetznaz movements? I'd have hated to been on the film crew that day. I can imagine the RSO with them just cringing every time the Saiga came whipping around backward or past the 180 during yet another dive roll and the Producer ignoring it as it was making for great TV.

x2 on the SF commenting that while Sonny was rolling around, he'd simply shoot him and be done with it. The entire show set the Spetznaz guys up to be terminators while you just knew the SF would get dropped by that cute little James Bond knife.

Bitter? Nah... It's Spike -- it's not like I expect much from them.

LMarshall73
05-13-09, 15:43
x2 on the SF commenting that while Sonny was rolling around, he'd simply shoot him and be done with it.

I would have loved to see them act that out in FOF using airsoft. Granted, it looks like the Spetsnaz guys have kept up their PT, where both of the GB's looked like they've been spending too much time at Dunkin Donuts.

mmike87
05-13-09, 16:14
Sonny is an instructor, too.

http://progressivecombat.com/staff-sonnypuzikas.html

I found a bunch of references of classes he's taught - with good reviews. I'm sure it would be an interesting class.

Ed L.
05-13-09, 18:32

That line is comedy gold.

mattjmcd
05-13-09, 19:33
Notice how they spend more time equating the term "Warrior" with weapons effectiveness and lethality.

HOLLYWOOD!! :rolleyes:

Totally!

Not SF and don't play one on TV, BUT...

Isn't it fair to say that SF's primary weapon is a loitering F15E, vs an M4?

John_Wayne777
05-13-09, 19:54
Did anyone else catch how many times the camera (and, I assume, the cameraman) was swept with the muzzle during the "dynamic" Spetznaz movements?

Yup.

The Russians have a very....different....approach to safety.

RogerinTPA
05-13-09, 20:31
My summation? It was pure shit....

ghost762
05-14-09, 02:36
My summation? It was pure shit....

All I can say about this show is GAAAAAY!

R/Tdrvr
05-14-09, 09:20
Nah, more like Chuck Norris vs. Rambo.

No, no, no. It should be Chuck Norris vs. Everybody. :D

LMarshall73
05-14-09, 12:26
No, no, no. It should be Chuck Norris vs. Everybody. :D

Then Chuck would be lonely because everybody would be dead.

Charles
05-15-09, 13:05
Totally!

Not SF and don't play one on TV, BUT...

Isn't it fair to say that SF's primary weapon is a loitering F15E, vs an M4?

No.

I have worked with zee Russians, including members of Alpha... I was not impressed.

If your going to use a Spetznaz trainer, then use SF trainers. I think that Super Dave, Kyle, or Frank P. would have been better match ups... I mean could you imagine Super Dave with some retard rolling on the ground in front of him! :D

Business_Casual
05-15-09, 13:34
No.

I have worked with zee Russians, including members of Alpha... I was not impressed.

If your going to use a Spetznaz trainer, then use SF trainers. I think that Super Dave, Kyle, or Frank P. would have been better match ups... I mean could you imagine Super Dave with some retard rolling on the ground in front of him! :D

Looks around for a goat to put a magic charm on...

M_P

ErikL
05-15-09, 13:36
No.

"Dude your blowing my mind"

neodecker
05-15-09, 15:10
No.

From what I get here one of them is a instructor

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/05/13/ap6415632.html

Gomez is a weapons and tactics instructor at Fort Bragg and has served combat tours in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 15:53
The problem is they didnt use the GB primary weapons ..... SPECTER AC-130 GUNSHIP and or B-2 loaded with ordnance cafeteria of GPS guided 500lb 1000lb 2000lb bombs and lets not forget the crowd favorite cluster fu@ker bombs.
Combat roll this a$$ hole:D

mattjmcd
05-16-09, 14:40
The problem is they didnt use the GB primary weapons ..... SPECTER AC-130 GUNSHIP and or B-2 loaded with ordnance cafeteria of GPS guided 500lb 1000lb 2000lb bombs and lets not forget the crowd favorite cluster fu@ker bombs.
Combat roll this a$$ hole:D

This is basically what I meant above. I know that some nations can *approximate* SF capabilities, but Russia? I just meant that from what I know as a layman, it seems like the magic of SF is not the conventional gear they carry, but the advanced warfighting resources that they are trained to command or upon which they can often count on for direct and indirect support.

telecustom
05-16-09, 20:34
I'll start off by saying that I have spent the last 4yrs with SF. (Support MOS not 18series)

Their #1 resource has nothing to do with the individual weapons they bring to the fight, it is their ability to train and field indigenous forces. They are the ultimate force multiplier. One SF guy can train and advise an entire company of indigenous soldiers. That alone brings a lot of bullets to the fight. Their second important resource is their mastery of the area they are operating in. It is hard to compete with their language skills.

As my of the posters have mentioned above, the SF Soldier’s ability to bring almost immediate CAS onto any situation is a major plus. Knowing you have an AC-130 Gunship to back you up is a great feeling. I felt very confident it their ability to cover us and I knew my guys would get out of the situation.

I think the basic premises behind the show is good, but they do miss the big picture about combat. The testing of the ancient weapons is fun to watch and very interesting. They should stick to warriors from before the age of gun powder.

AR15AK47USER
05-17-09, 02:14
Then Chuck would be lonely because everybody would be dead.

Hmm, I remember Chuck getting his balls handed to him by Bruce Lee once or twice but then Bruce left us too early. I really do not think Chuck is that hot a martial artist, even in his day there were better.