PDA

View Full Version : 1911 sight question

Slater
05-11-09, 15:43
When someone buys a GI-type M1911A1, usually you hear "First thing I'm gonna do is change out those teeny little GI sights". There's a lot better sights available on the market nowadays, and the issue sights really are pretty small.

During the 1911's long service life with the military, was there ever any initiative to improve the sights? Seems like a GI in 1944 would have the same issues as a Gi in 1974 (or 2004).

Of course, in a close-quarters nighttime battle on Okinawa or in the Huertgen Forest, I guess it doesn't make that much difference.

markm
05-11-09, 15:47
Young GIs with good eyes could probably make do with those shitty little sights.

People still clinging to that old pistol surely have a need for something better! :p

R Moran
05-12-09, 21:09
IIRC there were minor changes made to the sights thru out its production during WW2, along with other slight mods, mostly aimed at easing production. Nothing you'd probably notice though.

Of course all the National Match guns.

1911's were not uses as often as some would think thru out its service. When Col Beckwiths unit stood up in '77, they started to really shoot them hard.
The first sights they used were MMC, in conjunction with the NM front sights. Then they tried others, by looking at LAV replica of his first issue gun.

Bob

Ed L.
05-12-09, 21:22
When someone buys a GI-type M1911A1, usually you hear
Of course, in a close-quarters nighttime battle on Okinawa or in the Huertgen Forest, I guess it doesn't make that much difference.

They didn't have Aimpoints either. I'm sure they would have loved to have used them if they had existed at the time.