PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart; Good,Bad..Ugly?

thedog
05-11-09, 23:14
I see often on TOS, of which I am NOT a member, so many bad threads about this retailer. I understand alot of the anger and resentment.
But, on average, what are your thoughts? I see fewer and fewer stores carrying firearms and it pisses me off. I see good ammo prices, on average, but limited availability...
I hear they bust alot of shoplifters. They have alot of lawsuits for customer accidents and such.
They have too many stores. Don't pay enough.

What are your thoughts??

I am on the fence...

dog

10MMGary
05-11-09, 23:37
Personally I think WM is a good example of both what is great and not so great about this wonderful country of ours. I will buy all the ammo I can from them as I have found they are by far the least expensive.

Gentoo
05-12-09, 00:42
Walmart is a a force unto itself, and this has had major repercussions that are unintended.

For example, consider music. Walmart carries less than 10% of all albums released in a given year, yet is the largest retailer of music in the USA by an order of at least 2 magnitudes. So this puts pressure on music labels to produce albums that Walmart will stock, and they in turn put pressure on the musicians to change their songs to become more Walmart friendly, and thus stifles the artists creativity.

Another example is books. Post 9/11 Walmart pulled any book from its shelf that had to do with terrorists, attacks, etc. My wife is into romance novels, and knows a fairly prominent author in that genre. Well, Walmart pulled her book over a very minor passage in it. She nearly went bankrupt as a result.

Walmart, because of its size, buying power, and push onto the public consciousness as a "one stop shop for all your needs", has driven many other retailers and stores out of business. While that is the nature of capitalism, it is important to realize that this has consequences on the manufacturers of products. In many industries, like the two examples I cited above, getting pulled from Walmart is tantamount to a death sentence due to a lack of viable other retail channels.

Walmart extracts very tough deals from its suppliers as well because they are well aware of the impact they have. Dealing with Walmart is like dealing with the mob, they will make you a deal you can't refuse. When Walmart says we will carry your product but we will sell it for $4.95, you do what you have to do to meet their price point. Again, this is capitalism at work in its strictest sense, yet one cannot ignore the effects of these Faustian bargains in terms of lost American jobs and marketplace influence.

That is not to say that Walmart is all bad. Walmart excels at bringing to its shelves mass market, lowest common denominator merchandise that will have a broad appeal. It can also be argued that because of the emphasis on low prices, persons on the less affluent side of society are able to live at a higher standard of living due to increased buying power of their dollar.

Yet in spite of this, it is very easy to compete with Walmart - simply offer specialized items and don't compete on Walmarts terms. Walmart may be a great place to go to pick up a box of shells or a Mossberg 500, but you will never find a Purdey SxS or Benelli M4 within its walls. When was the last time anyone bought a PMAG from Walmart? There are many retail avenues that Walmart will not or can not address. The flip side of this is that whist everyone will need to buy a loaf of bread or package of socks, the number of people willing and able to buy a $5,000+ shotgun is drastically smaller.

So is Walmart good or bad? There is no clear cut answer to that.

Oscar 319
05-12-09, 00:48
They still carry Blazer Brass 9mm for $8.97 and 100 rnds of WWB .45 for $29.97.

That's what I think.

lostwake
05-12-09, 01:18
I love buying ammo from wally world. The stores in san diego put into place a limit of boxes one person can buy. due to the ammo hoarders and gun shop owners going in there, buyin ALL the ammo and turning around and selling it for double. seriously double what they payed. a 550 pack of federal .22 sells for about 14 bucks. they are selling for 30 now. so i like the new limit. at least we can get some. maybe not as much as we want but we can get some.
i just got several boxes of blazer 9mm. and some 250 round boxes of umc 9mm for 50 each. that are going for 90 easly on gunbroker

chadbag
05-12-09, 01:27
Walmart is a a force unto itself, and this has had major repercussions that are unintended.

For example, consider music. Walmart carries less than 10% of all albums released in a given year, yet is the largest retailer of music in the USA by an order of at least 2 magnitudes.

Uhh, No. Apple and iTunes were second in early 2008 compared to Wal-Mart in music retailing and some analysts were saying 2008 was the year iTunes would pass Wal-Mart. I don't know if that happened but they would not be talking about it if Wal-Mart were 2 orders of magnitude larger than iTunes and Apple in music retailing.

Walmart, because of its size, buying power, and push onto the public consciousness as a "one stop shop for all your needs", has driven many other retailers and stores out of business. While that is the nature of capitalism, it is important to realize that this has consequences on the manufacturers of products. In many industries, like the two examples I cited above, getting pulled from Walmart is tantamount to a death sentence due to a lack of viable other retail channels.

Walmart extracts very tough deals from its suppliers as well because they are well aware of the impact they have. Dealing with Walmart is like dealing with the mob, they will make you a deal you can't refuse. When Walmart says we will carry your product but we will sell it for $4.95, you do what you have to do to meet their price point. Again, this is capitalism at work in its strictest sense, yet one cannot ignore the effects of these Faustian bargains in terms of lost American jobs and marketplace influence.

this is true. I have spoken to a wal-mart vendors (or people who work at such vendors in management or run the IT for them or whatever) and what they describe is not pretty or pleasant.

That is not to say that Walmart is all bad. Walmart excels at bringing to its shelves mass market, lowest common denominator merchandise that will have a broad appeal. It can also be argued that because of the emphasis on low prices, persons on the less affluent side of society are able to live at a higher standard of living due to increased buying power of their dollar.

Yet in spite of this, it is very easy to compete with Walmart - simply offer specialized items and don't compete on Walmarts terms. Walmart may be a great place to go to pick up a box of shells or a Mossberg 500, but you will never find a Purdey SxS or Benelli M4 within its walls. When was the last time anyone bought a PMAG from Walmart? There are many retail avenues that Walmart will not or can not address. The flip side of this is that whist everyone will need to buy a loaf of bread or package of socks, the number of people willing and able to buy a $5,000+ shotgun is drastically smaller.

Even in groceries you can compete if you follow that pattern. When I lived in New Hampshire there was a Wal-Mart Supercenter that was built and soon many of the local and regional grocery stores were having troubles. The local Shaws, about 2 miles or so away from the Wal-Mart, was in trouble.

What did they do? They closed the store down temporarily, rebuilt it to be twice as big, and stocked it with a huge deli, a huge fresh fruit and vegetable section, a large in store bakery, a very large section of imported foodstuff from around the world, etc.

They were soon packed and until we moved away they were always packed. They may not have sold as much bread and milk but if you wanted anything more than the top 100 food items you could get it at this Shaws because you couldn't get it at Wal-Mart.

For several years I would not shop at Wal-Mart except in emergencies, but lately go there more often. One reason is a guy from church who is now a shooting buddy and friend (and customer of mine!) is the manager of the local Supercenter (the head manager). I also have started to need to be more careful with my dollars. And Target pissed me off by refusing to donate to my companies efforts to get stuff to send to to troops overseas as care packages.

The problem with Wal-Mart is they have very few specialty items. We were buying special baby yogurt which they stocked in two different packs -- one with vanilla and banana and one with apple and blueberry. All of a sudden the apple/blueberry variant vanished (it appears to be company wide as when we were in AZ and OR for some training [I had the family along] we tried to buy it and they only had the vanilla/banana one at those stores as ell). So if product A does not sell X billion of dollars a year, it gets axed. I have seen this many times at Wal-Mart. While the other stores I make a point to visit (local and regional ones) have a much larger variety and usually better quality produce.

Sorry for my Wal-Mart rant. It is a love / hate relationship I have with them.

Iraqgunz
05-12-09, 02:53
My wife was a Dept. Manager at Walmart for close to 7 years. As a matter of fact she was part of the original team that opened the store where she worked. In the beginning they were pretty family friendly and accomodated employees (child care, time off, etc...) whenever they could as long as performance didn't suffer. During this time frame I spent close to 4 years either being deployed or working as a contractor.

Eventually things changed and the overall management at the store and district went to hell. They quit caring about employees and hired personnel that were questionable at best. My wife wanted to transfer to a store when we moved to Arizona (policy allows it) but management wouldn't assist. So she resigned and that was that. My wife really busted her butt to do her job and keep her dept straight. Unfortunately the temp workers and associates at night didn't care.

thopkins22
05-12-09, 03:01
Eventually things changed and the overall management at the store and district went to hell. They quit caring about employees and hired personnel that were questionable at best. My wife wanted to transfer to a store when we moved to Arizona (policy allows it) but management wouldn't assist. So she resigned and that was that. My wife really busted her butt to do her job and keep her dept straight. Unfortunately the temp workers and associates at night didn't care.

I think that was when Walton's children took over. Hell in the beginning they were big on "made in America" as well.

The_War_Wagon
05-12-09, 06:47
If you've EVER had four children in diapers SIMULTANEOUSLY... :eek::eek::eek:... you'll gain a BETTER appreciation of Wal-Mart.

That, and I like their .22LR prices, too. ;)

mmike87
05-12-09, 07:06
I think that was when Walton's children took over. Hell in the beginning they were big on "made in America" as well.

And there was a real opportunity there to make something of that, too. Provide a mass retailer that would market made in the USA items to the masses, creating a potential huge market for manufacturers here at home.

Instead, they took the low road and now sell only cheap Chicom crap.

Walmart sucks in so many ways I can't count them all. My wife still shops there sometimes, and 1/2 the things we buy we return because they are all cheap crap.

RD62
05-12-09, 07:33
Walmart is what it is, and it serves a purpose.

Remember when Sam Walton was still alive, and it used to be a place where you could by american products at discount prices? They even used to hang banners and signs. "This item proudly made in Anywhere Town, USA" and it sometimes had a picture of the production staff or something? When was the last time you saw one of those?

I have seen a decline in customer loyalty for products and retailers over the last several years, especially the last 18 months. Consumers will cross the street for .25 cents.

Walmart strives to be the one .25 cents cheaper than everyone else, and it takes action to do that. Offshore products, tough negotiations with manufacturers, etc. You seem to also loose a bit of service when you shop there too, or at least that has been my experience.

They may have 30 registers and 120 employees in the store at any one time, but it never seems that they have more than maybe 10 registers open (no matter how long the lines get) and have the employees I ask for assistance are on break, don't no how to do whatever it is, or are just standing around. It seems that in general when you strive to reach a certain low labor cost, you seem to employ a different caliber of employee.

No offense intended to anyone who works at walmart or whose family works at walmart.

I wouldn't say Walmart is good, or bad, mine was pretty old and ugly until it's recent face lift though! :D

It's just Walmart... Always!

-RD62

CryingWolf
05-12-09, 07:42
Uhh, No. Apple and iTunes were second in early 2008 compared to Wal-Mart in music retailing and some analysts were saying 2008 was the year iTunes would pass Wal-Mart. I don't know if that happened but they would not be talking about it if Wal-Mart were 2 orders of magnitude larger than iTunes and Apple in music retailing

iTunes did surpass Wal-Mart in music sales and is now the biggest retailer of music. But while Wal-Mart was in control they did force the record labels to keep their album cost below $10 bucks a album, and Wal-Mart stopped carrying explicit lyrics albums. Wal-Mart's profit from music sales is only like 1% of their bottom line. That is why they were able to force the labels into said deals.

A really good documentry about Wal-Mart is "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low prices" shows how Wal-Mart was able to force companies like Rubbermaid into closing factories in the US to open factories where labor was cheaper in order to get their prices lower.

It is really hard not to shop at Wal-Mart for items that you may want. They are cheaper then most anywhere else including ammo. My wife did all her grocery shopping at Wal-Mart because they where cheaper than all the grocery stores around. But, get this; they put in a WinCo Food a couple of blocks from our Wal-Mart which my wife says she saves over Wal-Mart on groceries.

Cardiac Nurse
05-12-09, 08:02
But, get this; they put in a WinCo Food a couple of blocks from our Wal-Mart which my wife says she saves over Wal-Mart on groceries.

I'm with your wife on getting cheaper prices somewhere else. Wal-Mart is the place of last resort for me. I will try and go anywhere else first if I can. I can beat Wal-Mart's sales by using coupons (that other retailers double) as well as by stocking up during sales.

It is my goal to buy quality products for my family and fruit is definitely NOT our local Wal-Mart's specialty. That said there are items I cannot get anywhere else and not all Wal-Marts are equal.

Having lived in several states now I have seen Wal-Mart put other small stores out of business....those who specialized in items not available at Wal-Mart tended to do better in the local business market.

Nathan_Bell
05-12-09, 08:53

I recall the first one I saw and they had big banners declaring their support for US jobs.

Battlepack
05-12-09, 09:04
As stated earlier, they are a reflection of what is great AND wrong with this country.

I generally will only go in their store to buy carb/brake cleaner, bargain bin dvds, and ammo (if they have it).

Our citizens have evidently pushed for cheap and disposable goods (probably foreign in manufacture as a result), and they can provide that. I just wish everybody that shopped there was aware of the longterm economic and cultural considerations that have resulted in their shopping decisions.

thopkins22
05-12-09, 09:48
I just wish everybody that shopped there was aware of the longterm economic and cultural considerations that have resulted in their shopping decisions.

While I agree on an individual basis, in that WM used to be very patriotic etc... The desire for inexpensive goods, or one stop shopping is not unique to America(it's not universal either.)

Blaming Wal-Mart, or the people who shop there for sending jobs overseas is inaccurate. Blame the American government( people?) and minimum wage/mandatory unions/excessive regulation. That's what's sending jobs overseas, not some evil corporation.

If this country would actually see ANY return of the economic freedom that we used to have, in five years the shelves of Wal-Mart would be stacked in inexpensive, quality, American made goods.

Thomas M-4
05-12-09, 10:39
Walmart was a great thing when Sam Walton was still alive after his kids took control they squeeze it for every dime its worth no more made in the USA they treat there employees for the most part like garbage. Sam Walton is rolling in his grave now. I could rant forever on this My Grandmother retired from wal-mart she worked at one of the very first stores to open in the Birmingham area many years ago. My aunt works at a walmart now and its very different now that his kids got hold of it. Sam Walton= Good for America
Now = How can we get as much money has possible Damn the rest

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 10:47
Walmart = American entrepreneurship and capitalism at work. Not only that but it truly helps poor and underprivileged people in this country.

http://www.mises.org/story/2828

thopkins22
05-12-09, 10:51
Walmart = American entrepreneurship and capitalism at work. Not only that but it truly helps poor and underprivileged people in this country.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:Who knew anyone else on this site was a fan of Mises?

fog0fwar
05-12-09, 11:09
My wife used to work at a WM store while attending college. She has nothing but good things to say about how they treat their employees. She stated that if you were a hard worker and cared about what you did you could go far in that company.

How many employers, (other than politicians), can take a person with no background or education and train them up to be a store or regional manager?

My hats off to WM. It is the Capitolist story which helped build this nation.

And their prices on guns and ammo are good too...

Fog

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 11:12
:eek::eek::eek::eek:Who knew anyone else on this site was a fan of Mises?

I'm as Libertarian as they get Brother ;)

Irish
05-12-09, 11:26
...while Wal-Mart was in control they did force the record labels to keep their album cost below $10 bucks a album, and Wal-Mart stopped carrying explicit lyrics albums. Wal-Mart's profit from music sales is only like 1% of their bottom line. That is why they were able to force the labels into said deals. Wal-Mart can't force them into selling for less than $10.00 although I'm sure many people enjoy the savings. The record company looks at profits, margins and sales with or without Wal-Mart and then decides to work with them on pricing and availability or not. Obviously it benefits the record companies otherwise they wouldn't work with W-M.

A really good documentry about Wal-Mart is "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low prices" shows how Wal-Mart was able to force companies like Rubbermaid into closing factories in the US to open factories where labor was cheaper in order to get their prices lower. Or would it be fair to say that the Rubbermaid company wouldn't take less profit, was trying to rape Americans on the price and was actually over paying their American labor? Possibly Union workers who are typically over paid and extremely lazy, in my experience. Or was Wal-Mart actually helping the consumer by not trying to gouge them on prices? I don't know the details...

It is really hard not to shop at Wal-Mart for items that you may want. They are cheaper then most anywhere else including ammo. My wife did all her grocery shopping at Wal-Mart because they where cheaper than all the grocery stores around. But, get this; they put in a WinCo Food a couple of blocks from our Wal-Mart which my wife says she saves over Wal-Mart on groceries.

I answered quickly some of the above in bold. If Wal-Mart wasn't what the vast majority of people wanted they would be out of business, period. Do I agree with all their business practices? No, and I don't agree with alot of companies business practices but it doesn't stop me from utilizing them when it is either necessary or the benefits out weigh the negatives.
Simple economics studies on Wal-Mart and other related things can be found on Mises or www.lewrockwell.com. I am a big fan of both! ;)

chadbag
05-12-09, 11:26
If you've EVER had four children in diapers SIMULTANEOUSLY... :eek::eek::eek:... you'll gain a BETTER appreciation of Wal-Mart.

That, and I like their .22LR prices, too. ;)

Target has the same diaper price within a few pennies (when either of them aren't running promotions) and target has had better promotions recently on the pampers diapers (which we have found to work better for our kids)

Chad

randolph
05-12-09, 11:27
My wife used to work at a WM store while attending college. She has nothing but good things to say about how they treat their employees. She stated that if you were a hard worker and cared about what you did you could go far in that company.

How many employers, (other than politicians), can take a person with no background or education and train them up to be a store or regional manager?

My hats off to WM. It is the Capitolist story which helped build this nation.

And their prices on guns and ammo are good too...

Fog

When was this ?
Everyone acknowledges Wal-mart when to pot after Sam died.

My X-wfe has an uncle who was a company lawyer for wal-mart for several years under Sam. After Sam died, uncle and several other lawyers finally quit due to the childrens methods.

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 11:40
I answered quickly some of the above in bold. If Wal-Mart wasn't what the vast majority of people wanted they would be out of business, period. Do I agree with all their business practices? No, and I don't agree with alot of companies business practices but it doesn't stop me from utilizing them when it is either necessary or the benefits out weigh the negatives.
Simple economics studies on Wal-Mart and other related things can be found on Mises or www.lewrockwell.com. I am a big fan of both! ;)

May the force be with you my friend.

chadbag
05-12-09, 11:43

That is debatable if it truly helps the poor and underprivileged.

It is not Wal-Marts fault but the country has set up a health care system dependent on employer contributions, for better or (most likely) worse. Wal-Mart has a very piss poor health benefits system for the normal hourly workers that pushes that care onto the tax payer through government programs. That does not help the poor and underprivileged.

Sending US manufacturing jobs overseas to China does not help the poor and under privileged.

I libertarian and hence do no want government to get involved in "punishing" Wal-Mart etc. But that does not mean that I have to think that they are good for you.

As I mentioned, my neighbor is the head manager of the supercenter here in my area. They do take care of their salaried employees very well. And he did rise up the ranks from cart gatherer to manager. Wal-Mart is not all bad. Just partly bad, like pushing off benefits for their employees to the tax payer (abusing the unfortunate system that we have developed in this country) and grinding down and abusing vendors and buying crap products from China overly much.

Irish
05-12-09, 11:48
May the force be with you my friend.

Simply a young Padawan in training who may know little, but better to know little and to know something of what you don't know than to not know what you don't know and assume that you do know... or some silly shit like that :D
Economics and freedom are alot like firearms... receive no training, education or insight from experts and very experienced people and you will remain uninformed.

Take care to all.

Irish
05-12-09, 11:57
That is debatable if it truly helps the poor and underprivileged. They provide lower priced products to people who would not be able to afford them otherwise in many cases.

It is not Wal-Marts fault but the country has set up a health care system dependent on employer contributions, for better or (most likely) worse. Wal-Mart has a very piss poor health benefits system for the normal hourly workers that pushes that care onto the tax payer through government programs. That does not help the poor and underprivileged.Get rid of government health and welfare programs and the redistribution of wealth. Get a job with good benefits if you don't like what they're providing.

Sending US manufacturing jobs overseas to China does not help the poor and under privileged.It helps the poor and under priviledged of China. It also lowers costs to consumers around the world and consequently helps lots of poor and under priviledged.

I libertarian and hence do no want government to get involved in "punishing" Wal-Mart etc. But that does not mean that I have to think that they are good for you.It's simple. If Wal-Mart doesn't provide the services & products that their consumers want they'll go out of business, obviously they're doing a great job.

As I mentioned, my neighbor is the head manager of the supercenter here in my area. They do take care of their salaried employees very well. And he did rise up the ranks from cart gatherer to manager.A proven Wal-Mart success story showing that their model does work. Work hard and strive to achieve and we'll help you along the way is what it sounds like to me. Be a lazy, incompetent POS and you can go fetch shopping carts in the parking lot. Wal-Mart is not all bad. Just partly bad, like pushing off benefits for their employees to the tax payer Please explain this to me as I'm unsure of what you're referring to.(abusing the unfortunate system that we have developed in this country) and grinding down and abusing vendors and buying crap products from China overly much.

This is a very interesting topic to me and I'm open to looking at all sides and presenting my own as well. Maybe we can all learn a few things from this discussion, including myself.
People hate Wal-Mart because it's successful.

Irish
05-12-09, 12:20
A few tidbits from this article... http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=50f6f94e-d812-48fe-9388-e477b8718948&p=2

CONSIDER THAT WAL-MART:

- Provides employment to 1.9 million people; the best defence against poverty is a job.

- Creates thousands of job opportunities for people in developing countries like China and India; this keeps hunger at bay in many households.

- Doles out hundreds of millions of dollars each year in dividends that help fund the retirement of millions of people; the company had sales in excess of $348 billion and a net profit of $11.3 billion in 2007.

- Sells food, clothing and other necessities to Canadians, Americans and others at prices that are 15 to 25 per cent below what other supermarkets charge; this helps millions of low-income families stretch their dollars.

- Pushes the inflation rate down and helps keep interest rates low; this comes in handy for millions of families when borrowing to buy a house or household appliances.

- Disburses $415 million in cash and in-kind merchandise annually to 100,000 charitable organizations around the world.

- Pursues environmental sustainability; sells more organic produce than most retailers; works with the Clinton Foundation to lower prices on sustainable technologies such as energy-efficient lighting and building materials; has opened the first in a series of high-efficiency stores that will use 20 per cent less energy than a typical Wal-Mart. And its proposed Vancouver store is more environmentally friendly than any building in the Lower Mainland.

All of this was made possible by Wal-Mart's innovations.

The retail business is characterized by large inventories, big sales volumes and a thin profit margin. That means retailers must reduce the cost of holding inventory, so efficient warehousing and transportation becomes critical.

The company that Sam Walton established in 1962 in Arkansas is not without its flaws. Critics allege that Wal-Mart doesn't pay a "living wage" or provide health care. As well, they claim that the company puts many independent small retailers out of business and destroys communities.

Wal-Mart pays an average wage of $10 in North America and 90 per cent of its American employees have health coverage. In the past few years, Wal-Mart has been named the best employer in Canada. So much so for exploiting workers.

There is not much evidence that Wal-Mart puts mom-and-pop operations out of business. In fact, studies demonstrate that if shopowners adapt to the ever-changing retail market, they can thrive after Wal-Mart comes to their town.

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 12:24

People hate Walmart because it's Walmart, and often times there is little more justification involved.

Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. all pull the same crap with their employees, and often times worse. Take Target for example. Their average wages to their non-exempt employees are comparable if not worse, their health benefits are equally as good or as bad as Walmart, and they import just as much as any other "big box" store in the US. Hell if we want to look at political views they are notoriously anti-gun, and refuse to take part in anything remotely related to "supporting our troops". Yet are they vilified and protested like Walmart? Nope.

Big box retail stores are all good and they are all bad in their own ways. Take it or leave it, but don't for a second think they are not a critical part of the economy in the US and one of the only things which are keeping this country viable in this day and age.

Also anyone who doesn't think trade with China is a damn good idea had better read some history quick fast and in a hurry. What do you think is the only reason we as a nation are on "good terms" with China? Economic Interdependency. It's not some new found love of capitalism on the part of the Chinese, or something else equally nonsensical on the part of the US, it's business. Anyone who thinks war with China is a good idea is a damn moron.

wargasm
05-12-09, 12:26
When I look at ammo availability locally, Wal-Mart by far is the most consistent in having any amount in stock, and keeping the prices attractive. The downside is getting to the ammo when it becomes available on the shelf, and the limits imposed. I find it amusing reading ammo posts on the different firearms sites regarding "sightings", "purchases" and "the ones that got away"! I've just settled in to stopping by the Wally's on my way to work to see if they got what I need. Other than that, I live to fight another day!

chadbag
05-12-09, 14:10
This is a very interesting topic to me and I'm open to looking at all sides and presenting my own as well. Maybe we can all learn a few things from this discussion, including myself.

That is debatable if it truly helps the poor and underprivileged. They provide lower priced products to people who would not be able to afford them otherwise in many cases.

It is not Wal-Marts fault but the country has set up a health care system dependent on employer contributions, for better or (most likely) worse. Wal-Mart has a very piss poor health benefits system for the normal hourly workers that pushes that care onto the tax payer through government programs. That does not help the poor and underprivileged.Get rid of government health and welfare programs and the redistribution of wealth. Get a job with good benefits if you don't like what they're providing.

Sending US manufacturing jobs overseas to China does not help the poor and under privileged.It helps the poor and under priviledged of China. It also lowers costs to consumers around the world and consequently helps lots of poor and under priviledged.

I libertarian and hence do no want government to get involved in "punishing" Wal-Mart etc. But that does not mean that I have to think that they are good for you.

It's simple. If Wal-Mart doesn't provide the services & products that their consumers want they'll go out of business, obviously they're doing a great job.

It is not that simple. Lots of bad businesses stay in business. When you are so large that it is hard to compete against you for the same types of products then you can do what you want since you have no effective competition. In many areas, that is what it has come to.

As I mentioned, my neighbor is the head manager of the supercenter here in my area. They do take care of their salaried employees very well. And he did rise up the ranks from cart gatherer to manager.

A proven Wal-Mart success story showing that their model does work. Work hard and strive to achieve and we'll help you along the way is what it sounds like to me. Be a lazy, incompetent POS and you can go fetch shopping carts in the parking lot.

It does show that it is possible to "make it" at Wal-Mart. No one disputes that. It does not show that their "model" for doing business is right.

Wal-Mart is not all bad. Just partly bad, like pushing off benefits for their employees to the tax payer

Please explain this to me as I'm unsure of what you're referring to.
(abusing the unfortunate system that we have developed in this country) and grinding down and abusing vendors and buying crap products from China overly much.

I am sorry you missed it. I laid it out clearly -- our country has unfortunately implemented a system that provides health care through employer benefits (instead of making it a purchasable service that we can choose or not choose to partake in). Wal-Mart is substandard in their health benefits offered to non salaried employees and hence pushes off "their obligation" onto the taxpayer as these employees either become dependent on government programs for health care or go to emergency rooms and push the cost onto more government programs or onto all of us who end up paying more due to non emergency ER visits.

That is abuse of the system. I do not agree with the system but that is what exists and so Wal-Mart should play within the system and work to get the system changed.

The claim is made that 90% of Wal-Mart employees have health benefits. First, that is a new development that has come about in the last few years as Wal-Mart has implemented new employee health plans in response to criticisms. In addition, the benefits are substandard compared to others for many classes of employees and many of these employees still have to rely on govt programs for some of their health care.

chadbag
05-12-09, 14:14
I answered quickly some of the above in bold. If Wal-Mart wasn't what the vast majority of people wanted they would be out of business, period.

False. Bad logic. You can get so large that you are "too big to fail." Most people who shop there do not know about the bad business practices and the high cost of low prices and the total effect of those low prices in order to make a decision. Your premise only works when people care enough to seek out information to make an informed decision and make it. (Same goes with democracy and voting as well which is why the founders developed a Representational Republic instead of a democracy)

look at Microsoft. Crappy products. No innovation. Yet too big to fail and people still buy their crap because they do not realize that they have other choices. Everyone else uses Microsoft so I have to too.

Do I agree with all their business practices? No, and I don't agree with alot of companies business practices but it doesn't stop me from utilizing them when it is either necessary or the benefits out weigh the negatives.

Thomas M-4
05-12-09, 14:43
False. Bad logic. You can get so large that you are "too big to fail." Most people who shop there do not know about the bad business practices and the high cost of low prices and the total effect of those low prices in order to make a decision. Your premise only works when people care enough to seek out information to make an informed decision and make it. (Same goes with democracy and voting as well which is why the founders developed a Representational Republic instead of a democracy)

look at Microsoft. Crappy products. No innovation. Yet too big to fail and people still buy their crap because they do not realize that they have other choices. Everyone else uses Microsoft so I have to too.

E-GUNS 100% RIGHT
Wal-mart is the industry leader they set the standards and since Sam Walton is gone the there standards have gone to.

E-GUNS 1000% RIGHT Microsoft still using the orginal D.O.S. shell in its os's. Dirty Operating System RANT RAVE RANT

E-GUNS 100% RIGHT pampers are better than huggies LOL

Terry
05-12-09, 18:36
I work for Wal Mart and have for the last 6 yrs.
I drive for the private fleet.
It is the best job I have ever had with very good health insurance.
My wages and benefit package is superior to the teamster job i had for 11 yrs, including health insurance.
My families standard of living is higher than it has ever been.
I go to allot of vendors, including mom and pop vendors making everything and anything from boat anchors to canoes that are 100% made in America If these vendors didn't exist, I wouldn't have allot to do.
I get a 10% discount on allot of things, including ammo and guns.
The money you spend there goes to an American company, not a French company.
The bottom line is, for me, I pray everyday I can retire from this job.
I am always suspect of people who make claims about Wal Mart with only hear say as eveidence, especially people who sell things Wal mart does.
Terry

ST911
05-12-09, 21:32
I worked at Walmart for a time, many years ago. It was okay for a part time gig. Some friends doing hump work with me stayed on after school and rose up through the ranks. Walmart has taken good care of them and they're doing well. They work hard for it, but they do well.

Iron-sapper
05-12-09, 23:21
I find it worthwhile to stop in once or twice a month to chase WW white box 9mm ball ammunition. Their consistent pricing and known product are a very good thing in a time of uncertainty.

Have heard many arguments for/against their management policies and generally high turnover of employees annually. I try to divorce my opinions of owners vs. labor arguments from my personal consumption rules.

CryingWolf
05-12-09, 23:53
Wal-Mart can't force them into selling for less than $10.00 although I'm sure many people enjoy the savings. The record company looks at profits, margins and sales with or without Wal-Mart and then decides to work with them on pricing and availability or not. Obviously it benefits the record companies otherwise they wouldn't work with W-M.

Oh yes they can, imagine if you are a company and your biggest customer worth more then 1/5th of your revenue says we want you to take a cut in what we pay you.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6558540/walmart_wants_10_cds

Wal-Mart executives hinted that they could reduce Wal-Mart's CD stock and replace it with more lucrative DVDs and video games.

"This wasn't framed as a gentle negotiation," says one label rep. "It's a line in the sand -- you don't do this, then the threat is this."

Or would it be fair to say that the Rubbermaid company wouldn't take less profit, was trying to rape Americans on the price and was actually over paying their American labor?

Wal-Mart removed Rubbermaid from their shelves. If you watch the documentary "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low price" you might get a clue of their tactics.

Would you be willing to pay say a buck or two more in order to make sure you employed another American?

Possibly Union workers who are typically over paid and extremely lazy, in my experience.

What is overpaid? Give me a monetary example of being overpaid!

Or was Wal-Mart actually helping the consumer by not trying to gouge them on prices? I don't know the details...

Or was Wal-Mart trying to improve their bottom line because of simple corporate greed and to make sure their share holders are happy.

Nathan_Bell
05-13-09, 07:08
Wal-mart has a good bit to answer for. Their model was to get one player in one supply stream to produce in China. Then they would lean on the other producers to deliver at the same cost that supplier #1 was doing so at, or Walmart would dump their asses. Well the only way for supplier #2-#? to compete was to push at least some, if not all production overseas.
Walmart doing this lead to most other retailers following suit, as they needed to compete with Walmart.

Thanks to this brilliant plan China has the world's largest production capability, huge borderline rabid nationalist population, and lots and lots of $$ to spend. Had Walmart avoided doing the China route, the CHicoms would have one of those advantages, which without the first and last one I listed would have actually been a liability.

Irish
05-13-09, 12:23
It is not that simple. Lots of bad businesses stay in business. When you are so large that it is hard to compete against you for the same types of products then you can do what you want since you have no effective competition. In many areas, that is what it has come to. You could probably use the same comparison with K-Mart and Sears.

It does show that it is possible to "make it" at Wal-Mart. No one disputes that. It does not show that their "model" for doing business is right.

I am sorry you missed it. I laid it out clearly -- our country has unfortunately implemented a system that provides health care through employer benefits (instead of making it a purchasable service that we can choose or not choose to partake in). Wal-Mart is substandard in their health benefits offered to non salaried employees and hence pushes off "their obligation" An employer has no "obligation" to provide health care. onto the taxpayer as these employees either become dependent on government programs for health care or go to emergency rooms and push the cost onto more government programs or onto all of us who end up paying more due to non emergency ER visits. Do you have hard facts as to the percentage of people that are "forced" into using health services or is this just a generalization?

That is abuse of the system. I do not agree with the system but that is what exists and so Wal-Mart should play within the system and work to get the system changed. Why should they? They are in business to make a profit not create governmental changes.

The claim is made that 90% of Wal-Mart employees have health benefits. First, that is a new development that has come about in the last few years as Wal-Mart has implemented new employee health plans in response to criticisms So you're admitting that they are changing for the better and trying to enact new policies to benefit their employees.. In addition, the benefits are substandard compared to others for many classes of employees and many of these employees still have to rely on govt programs for some of their health care. Where does this information come from?

On to the next post...

Irish
05-13-09, 12:28
False. Bad logic. You can get so large that you are "too big to fail." Same could be said of JC Penney, Sears, K-Mart, etc.Most people who shop there do not know about the bad business practices and the high cost of low prices and the total effect of those low prices in order to make a decisionNation full of idiots.... Your premise only works when people care enough to seek out information to make an informed decision and make it. How was your decision formed and where do you get your information from? (Same goes with democracy and voting as well which is why the founders developed a Representational Republic instead of a democracy)I pledge allegiance to the Republic... totally agree with you on that one ;)

look at Microsoft. Crappy products. No innovation. Yet too big to fail and people still buy their crap because they do not realize that they have other choices. Everyone else uses Microsoft so I have to too. No you don't. Start your own software development company, kick their ass with a better product and become the world's richest man!!!

I really enjoy debate, especially on a civil level. Right, wrong, different opinions help educate alot of people.

chadbag
05-13-09, 12:29
On to the next post...

Please do not do bolded inline in a quote responses. It is terribly hard to reply to.

Your comments about sears and kmart is laughable. They have closed lots of stores and are really hurting. Some claim due to wal-mart. I have no sympathy for them as big stores that cannot find a niche but to make the comparison is laughable.

Unfortunately you are not correct about employers having no obligation to provide health care. Unfortunately the US has adopted such a system where employers are expected to provide that benefit and some states have started to codify that in law. It is unfortunate as they should not be expected to provide that but unfortunately health care is looked on as a "right" and not a service to be consumed with free will like it should be.

The effects of Wal-Marts policies are well documented. People have directed you in this thread already to sources.

Irish
05-13-09, 12:30
I work for Wal Mart and have for the last 6 yrs.
I drive for the private fleet.
It is the best job I have ever had with very good health insurance.
My wages and benefit package is superior to the teamster job i had for 11 yrs, including health insurance.
My families standard of living is higher than it has ever been.
I go to allot of vendors, including mom and pop vendors making everything and anything from boat anchors to canoes that are 100% made in America If these vendors didn't exist, I wouldn't have allot to do.
I get a 10% discount on allot of things, including ammo and guns.
The money you spend there goes to an American company, not a French company.
The bottom line is, for me, I pray everyday I can retire from this job.
I am always suspect of people who make claims about Wal Mart with only hear say as eveidence, especially people who sell things Wal mart does.
Terry

Really glad to hear of a positive success story that dispels some of the things I've read here.

chadbag
05-13-09, 12:33
I really enjoy debate, especially on a civil level. Right, wrong, different opinions help educate alot of people.

Please do not reply in line with bolded text. It is extremely hard to reply to.

Again, your comments about JCPenny, Kmart, etc is laughable. They are no where near the size of Wal-Mart and do not have the market muscle to do whatever they want.

Your comments about Microsoft is also laughable. Please come back to the real world. (Btw, I personally don't use MS. But the prevailing "wisdom" is that they are the only real choice which is why businesses almost exclusively use MS and in the home they also are about 90%, plus or minus a little. Believe me, I am in the SW industry when I am not selling gun parts which I started to do more as a job after the dot com crash).

You have all the great theoretical answers. I agree with you on them. But when put in the real world, with real expectations, real effects, etc they fall extremely flat.

Irish
05-13-09, 12:36
Please do not do bolded inline in a quote responses. It is terribly hard to reply to.

Your comments about sears and kmart is laughable. They have closed lots of stores and are really hurting. Some claim due to wal-mart. I have no sympathy for them as big stores that cannot find a niche but to make the comparison is laughable.

Unfortunately you are not correct about employers having no obligation to provide health care. Unfortunately the US has adopted such a system where employers are expected to provide that benefit and some states have started to codify that in law. It is unfortunate as they should not be expected to provide that but unfortunately health care is looked on as a "right" and not a service to be consumed with free will like it should be.

The effects of Wal-Marts policies are well documented. People have directed you in this thread already to sources.

Sorry about bolding my thoughts in the quote, I'll change that. I'm not sure why it's laughable. I'm sure people said the same things about those stores that you have about Wal-Mart.
Because you think it's "right" for them to provide health care does not mean they have an obligation.
One documentary that I haven't seen, but now I'm planning on it, does not meet my criteria for a source. If that were the case then all the anti's claims of Michael Moore making documentaries and using him as a source would be legitimate as well. Was there an agenda? Is it unbiased? Are the facts clear and not convoluted? Checking Netflix now for that movie...

Irish
05-13-09, 12:51

I added "Wal-Mart: The high cost of low price" to my Netflix queue so I will definitely check it out. I read reviews of this documentary and it received alot of negativity due to it's "no objectivity, one sided, relentlessly negative, biased point of view" (not my words). I also read alot of positive recommendations for the PBS video "Is Wal-Mart good for America?" and I'll be watching that as well.

Take care.

chadbag
05-13-09, 12:51
Really glad to hear of a positive success story that dispels some of the things I've read here.

This "success" story by Terry does nothing to dispel some of the things you read here. If you noticed, "Terry" is a truck driver. He does not technically work for Wal-Mart. He works for whatever Wal-Mart calls their transportation subsidiary -- it is listed on the sides of the trucks and is a legally separate entity. His story has nothing to do with the people who work in the stories as non-salaried workers.

(But actually if you think about it it supports what is said here -- Wal-Mart has chosen, which is a good choice, to provide good support and recompense to their truckers in order to keep the teamsters out. Wal-Mart is fighting tooth and nail to keep their hourly store workers non-union and that is one reason, along with public pressure, that they have "reformed" some in recent years. Wal-Mart is not all bad and does not universally "abuse" all employee classes and a trucker is not a clerk in the store.)

chadbag
05-13-09, 12:59
Sorry about bolding my thoughts in the quote, I'll change that. I'm not sure why it's laughable. I'm sure people said the same things about those stores that you have about Wal-Mart.

None of those stores has anywhere near the market power and size that Wal-Mart has and never had.

Because you think it's "right" for them to provide health care does not mean they have an obligation.

I did not say that I think it is "right". I said that the system that the United States has implemented depends on and excepts employer-sponsored health care. I am on your side when it comes to what should be. I am talking about how it is in reality. The expectation in the US is that employers provide health care. Read any health care oriented trade magazine and you will see that that is universally agreed upon as the expectation -- not that everyone agrees with it but they all agree that that is how it is. Some states have started to mandate it and make it law. And read most of the last few years worth of health care bills that were submitted. Many of them make this assumption.

This history of employer sponsored health care is interesting as well. My understanding is that it came out of WW2 where there were salary caps and salary restrictions put in place and companies had to come up with other ways of attracting employees. Kind of a "law of unintended consequences" result.

One documentary that I haven't seen, but now I'm planning on it, does not meet my criteria for a source. If that were the case then all the anti's claims of Michael Moore making documentaries and using him as a source would be legitimate as well. Was there an agenda? Is it unbiased? Are the facts clear and not convoluted? Checking Netflix now for that movie...

There is more than one documentary. I have Googled this topic before. I did not save any of the links since it was a while ago. But you can easily find out anything you ever wanted to know on this topic by doing so. Some are non-biased credible things and some are biased credible things and some are utter junk.

Terry
05-13-09, 14:13
I "technically" work for Wal Mart.
My pay check is the same as anyone who works in a store, DC, or office.
The private fleet is just that, a private fleet for Wal mart, it is not a "subsidiary" of Wal Mart, and says nothing of the sort on the truck.
I am not "salaried", I get paid like all other Wal Mart associates, for what I do.
I am just like any other Wal Mart associate.
If anyone else would like to make outright false claims, please PM first.
I guess the forum rules don't exist in this thread.
Terry.

chadbag
05-13-09, 14:25
I "technically" work for Wal Mart.
My pay check is the same as anyone who works in a store, DC, or office.
The private fleet is just that, a private fleet for Wal mart, it is not a "subsidiary" of Wal Mart, and says nothing of the sort on the truck.
I am not "salaried", I get paid like all other Wal Mart associates, for what I do.
I am just like any other Wal Mart associate.
If anyone else would like to make outright false claims, please PM first.
I guess the forum rules don't exist in this thread.
Terry.

Every Wal-Mart truck I have seen says something on the side like

Wal-Mart Transportation LLC or something similar to that. I will check the next one I see.

Looking at this (and several other Google posts) shows a Wal-Mart Transportation LLC as a wholly owned subsidiary of Wal-Mart which is a different legal entity (Wal-Mart Stores Inc or something similar)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Wal-Mart_Stores,_Inc.

The fact is that a trucker is not in the same class as someone working in the store. They are treated differently as they are a different class of worker. Does not matter if the paycheck comes from the same place. Same with salaried managers. They are treated totally differently than the checkout cashier earning an hourly wage or the grandma greeter at the front door.

Terry
05-13-09, 15:17
I followed that link and came up with 8 "assets" as wikipedia calls them, that Wal Mart Stores inc owns, to include the private fleet.
Having said that, not to personally attack anyone, but to make claims that you know how people are treated, and the reasons they are treated a certain way is presumptious at best, and outright slander at worst.
To beleive you is to believe that you know how a manager, a truck driver, and a cashier are treated at every Wal Mart "asset" in the CONUS.
I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I wish you the best.
If anyone would like first hand accounts and facts, please PM me.
Terry.

chadbag
05-13-09, 15:24
I followed that link and came up with 8 "assets" as wikipedia calls them, that Wal Mart Stores inc owns, to include the private fleet.
Having said that, not to personally attack anyone, but to make claims that you know how people are treated, and the reasons they are treated a certain way is presumptious at best, and outright slander at worst.
To beleive you is to believe that you know how a manager, a truck driver, and a cashier are treated at every Wal Mart "asset" in the CONUS.
Terry.

I am sorry you feel personally offended. There is nothing slanderous in my post. I merely pointed out that the trucking fleet is owned by a separate legal entity than the stores and the reasonable assumption is that the drivers of those trucks are employed by the owning entity, Wal-Mart Transportation LLC. I hope you keep your job until you retire and that you are well treated and enjoy what you do. No problem with that. Heck, I shop at Wal-Mart more than I would like to admit and I avoid the competitor with the concentric circles as a logo for various reasons.

My post was not a personal attack on you. I have said up front that Wal-Mart is not all bad. Wal-Mart does many good things.

Truck drivers and cashiers are different classes of employees. As are managers. I personally know a head manager of a super center and he concurs.

I do not doubt you that Wal-Mart treats its truck drivers well. That is a skilled position and they want to keep the teamsters out (my reasonable speculation). Probably many other reasons that I am not aware of. There is plenty of evidence however that normal store associates are treated less well. Less in wages. Less in benefits. This is well documented. Use your Google Fu.

Irish
05-13-09, 15:33
If someone feels Wal-Mart is that bad find a new job, start your own business or eat out of dumpsters... No one forces anyone to work or shop there.

thopkins22
05-13-09, 15:34
Vaguely pertinent...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103890/

Thomas M-4
05-13-09, 16:00
Terry.

I have first hand accounts Do they make you put in a 3 day notice to take a sick day?
If you are a full time employee do they send you home during the week to make sure you stay under 35 hours a week so they can cut you benefits and prevent any OT.
If you want give me couple days ill find a lot more they do to employees now that SAM WALTONS gone.
My grandmother retired from wal-mart god rest her soul she was treated very well but SAM WALTON was still running the show then. My aunt works there now and its a totally different now.

Thomas M-4
05-13-09, 16:15
If someone feels Wal-Mart is that bad find a new job, start your own business or eat out of dumpsters... No one forces anyone to work or shop there.

Where do you live under a rock?
Wal-Mart is the industry leader they set the wages and other retailers or going to set there wages according to what the industry leader does so they can stay competitive. In most small towns Wal-mart is the biggest employer.
That attitude is why the construction industry and manufacturing industry employ illegal labor.

tinman44
05-13-09, 19:27
i went to buy ammo around 2am the other day. i had to find someone with keys, then was told by that someone its against the law to sell ammo between the hours of 7pm and 10am. i then asked "is it against the law or is it some walmart liberal rule?" he looked at me funny and said "they don't want kids coming in here after hours buying bullets and shooting." so i pulled my wallet out and said "don't you guys check ID? i'm 30 and i work nights so this is the time i shop, besides i dont think its against any law" he then replied with "well they wont let me do it"

well i have basically decided to spend my dollars elsewhere. my wife shops at target, only time our money is spent there is when i go after hours to buy stuff i forget to get during the day. so anyways congrats walmart you no longer have a gun toting license carrying consumer sending his money to china.

thedog
05-18-09, 04:05
I see often on TOS, of which I am NOT a member, so many bad threads about this retailer. I understand alot of the anger and resentment.
But, on average, what are your thoughts? I see fewer and fewer stores carrying firearms and it pisses me off. I see good ammo prices, on average, but limited availability...
I hear they bust alot of shoplifters. They have alot of lawsuits for customer accidents and such.
They have too many stores. Don't pay enough.

What are your thoughts??

I am on the fence...

dog

Love/Hate Good Debate here. Oh, and I hear they catch alot of shoplifters and get sued alot...

dog

Cardiac Nurse
05-18-09, 05:40
As far as ammo goes.. even stopping at the older non-super Wal-Marts in rural areas there is limited or no ammo. It's sad when you travel and make it a point to stop at every Wal-Mart you can just to see if they have the ammo you are looking for and still on an 8 hour trip find NONE.

dmanflynn
05-18-09, 07:10
Hell, except hunting stuff i buy alot of my clothes from wally world, i dont got alot of clothes by any means but i know i can wear the ones i do have out and not worry about it. I dont mean i buy SUPER cheap stuff but the most expensive daily wear thing i own are my $14.95 wrangler jeans. I love buyin ammo from WM too, when they have it in stock. I realize they are somewhat of a monopoly when they put a super-center in a small town, they kinda corner the market wherever they go. But I get what i need all in one place, and if somthing is too expensive their i run to kroger. And as far as them stocking cheap chinese junk (which they do) who doesnt? Find a major store that isnt an exclusive "made in America" store that doesnt stock merchandise from china. Not saying its right but i dont hate WM because they do. As far as employee treatment, they do treat em like crap. Almost as bad as Blowes:D

Mjolnir
05-18-09, 20:58
I despise the place. Why would I empower [Chinese Ocean Going Sea Company) COSCO and the Chinese? The ONLY thing I've EVER purchased from them was cases of Winchester ammo...

Heavy Metal
05-18-09, 21:07
As far as ammo goes.. even stopping at the older non-super Wal-Marts in rural areas there is limited or no ammo. It's sad when you travel and make it a point to stop at every Wal-Mart you can just to see if they have the ammo you are looking for and still on an 8 hour trip find NONE.

Call ahead and ask for the sporting goods dept. They can look ahead one day at teh truck manifest and they can tell you if any ammo will be arriving that night.

Cardiac Nurse
05-18-09, 21:18
Call ahead and ask for the sporting goods dept. They can look ahead one day at teh truck manifest and they can tell you if any ammo will be arriving that night.

I stopped today on my way back home during a 6+ hour trip and the sporting goods guy just about laughed.."haven't had any in months and don't know when we will". Don't always know exactly where we will be on the road hence the stopping instead of calling ahead.

ProMed
05-19-09, 12:44
I must be a sellout and would just like to say thank you to wal-mart for this $12.47 blazer brass in .40 that was all picked up within the last month.

http://www.motonews.com/images/fbfiles/images/XDm_ready.jpg

thedog
05-26-09, 01:08
I miss Sam Walton........ I hear Wal-Mart gets sued alot. And they catch alot of shoplifters...

I almost see Wal-Mart as a microcosm of the U.S., within the U.S. The world wants the U.S. to step in for every little donation etc. The U.S. expects the same of the Wal-Mart. Hey we need ****** for our cause. "I know! Let's ask Wal-Mart to donate!"
Hey, we are being over-run (our people are starving, etc.) "I know! Let's call the U.S.!

Well.....I hear WM catches lots of thieves. They get sued alot....

dog

Joe Mamma
05-26-09, 10:30
I love Wal-Mart.

I live reasonably close to one of those 24 hour a day Wal-Mart Supercenters. For those of you who don't know, those Supercenters have everything from flat screen TV's to baby diapers to kerosene heaters to groceries/produce to ladders to ammunition to office supplies to . . . I'm actually grateful that I can get pretty much anything I need, whenever I want, at very good prices. I think that's a great thing and EVERY time I walk into that store, I feel good about life. I shit you not.

This thread reminds me of a story of a friend of mine who went to a local hardware store that was part of a local chain many years ago. A Home Depot opened up pretty much across the street from that store. My friend continued to shop at the local/regional store out of loyalty and wanting to help the "little guy" out. But, one time when he was there, he had problems with something (I can't recall the details). I think he was making a big purchase and it had something to do with delivery/availability/store policy or something like that. The store was being completely unreasonable (from his perspective). The thing is, instead of rising to the competition, or even continuing to work hard and grow, they got lazy and focused their efforts on crying about the big guys (like Home Depot) moving in on their business. My friend wanted to buy from these little guys, and was willing to pay more to do it. But the poor service pissed him off. At the end of this incident, my friend was so angry he told the store that WHEN their store would eventually go out of business, it wouldn't be because of the prices, competition, etc., it would be because of their shitty service. He started going to Home Depot. Guess what? That local/regional store went out of business and Home Depot is still around.

Oh, and I love Home Depot too. :)

Joe Mamma

Hersh
05-26-09, 17:34
About twenty years ago I worked for a company that sold several products in Wally world. My job involved in-store service and I've spent more time in their stores than I like to remember. From a vendor's perspective, at least in my experience, they were none to kind. Store management, not the department managers, but assistants and above, attitudes towards vendor reps was usually dismissive at best and sometimes down right condescending.

The sales reps at my employer had a saying, "what's the difference between a Wal Mart buyer and a terrorist?" The answer was that "you CAN sometimes negotiate with a terrorist."

In spite of my contempt for them, I still whore out and shop there occasionally. Their ammo prices are hard to beat.

Iraqgunz
05-26-09, 17:58
That's typical Walmart supidity. I went in there once around 2200 and while I was shopping I decided to buy some .22 ammo. They had a sign by the firearms and ammo that said something to the effect of "Due to Federal Law No ammunition sales after 9PM"or something like that. When I asked him what Federal law they were referring to he shrugged his shoulders. Additionally I saw a similar sign conerning firearms sales, which is also BS. The NICS center is open from 900AM EST until 200AM EST. That means if you live in AZ for example you can make a purchase until Midnight. One more thing. If you have an AZ CCW there is no NICS requirement so? If it's a store policy that's fine, but that is different from Federal Law.

i went to buy ammo around 2am the other day. i had to find someone with keys, then was told by that someone its against the law to sell ammo between the hours of 7pm and 10am. i then asked "is it against the law or is it some walmart liberal rule?" he looked at me funny and said "they don't want kids coming in here after hours buying bullets and shooting." so i pulled my wallet out and said "don't you guys check ID? i'm 30 and i work nights so this is the time i shop, besides i dont think its against any law" he then replied with "well they wont let me do it"

well i have basically decided to spend my dollars elsewhere. my wife shops at target, only time our money is spent there is when i go after hours to buy stuff i forget to get during the day. so anyways congrats walmart you no longer have a gun toting license carrying consumer sending his money to china.

EzGoingKev
05-26-09, 21:15
I hear Wal-Mart gets sued alot. And they catch alot of shoplifters...

The town I grew up in prints a weekly police log in the newspaper. Walmart threatens to sue if all the dispatches to Walmart for the shop lifters get printed.

Walmarts up here in MA blow. You can never find anyone that "works" there.

ghost762
05-26-09, 21:31
I don't shop there very much after seeing a PBS Frontline special on the company. If I get gift card from family and such I'll use them or if can't find something anywere else I'll go there. For the most part I avoid the store.

ST911
05-27-09, 10:37
The town I grew up in prints a weekly police log in the newspaper. Walmart threatens to sue if all the dispatches to Walmart for the shop lifters get printed. Walmarts up here in MA blow. You can never find anyone that "works" there.

Interesting reading on Walmart and crime rates. It has some issues, but the nuts and bolts are okay.

http://walmartcrimereport.com/

thedog
06-03-09, 00:17
Very interesting, Skin. Thanks for the post!

dog

CharlieMike
06-03-09, 09:01
My wife and I make an effort to purchase from local small businesses before we buy from big box stores.

I think that is the important thing: to be concienscious consumers.

That being said, you can't beat Wal-Mart for .223 and 9mm. :)

Submariner
06-03-09, 09:40
That being said, you can't beat Wal-Mart for .223 and 9mm. :)

If they are in stock.:(

M-4VA
06-03-09, 09:45
1st hand gun ammo I've seen in a long time at Wally World last night, bought 3 50rd boxes of blazer brass 9mm $9.47 gun stores want $15.00 + no 45acp or .223, left last 2 boxes of 9mm for someone else.
J.R.

ProMed
06-03-09, 12:36
1st hand gun ammo I've seen in a long time at Wally World last night, bought 3 50rd boxes of blazer brass 9mm $9.47 gun stores want $15.00 + no 45acp or .223, left last 2 boxes of 9mm for someone else.
J.R.
Local Wal-Mart today had 45 acp, 9, 380, 38, 40, and 223!

Irish
06-03-09, 12:45
Local Wal-Mart today had 45 acp, 9, 380, 38, 40, and 223!

Where's local?

ProMed
06-03-09, 12:55
Where's local?
Sorry, just updated my forum details. North Carolina

Terry
06-08-09, 15:38
I just picked 3, 100 rounds packs of federal 55 fmj, forgot the store though.
I don't even remember the state, but, just about every store I go to has some 55gr or higher, but 9mm is very, very, scarce.
Luckily, I have ample supply of that, for now anyway.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 08:21
But, on average, what are your thoughts? ...
I am on the fence...

dog

Its always a trade-off. On the one hand Wal-mart delivers goods at cheap prices. For the most part decent enough products, but often cheap junk imported from our best friend, China.

On the other, I would rather live in a world where in place of each Wal-mart, or a Home Depot for that matter, there were 10 or 20 family run businesses, not just gun stores. I think communities and the country would be better served in the long run.

Fuguar
06-09-09, 10:22
My local Walmart forced a couple of the Mon & Pop stores out of existence. Then they pushed the hunting and fishing department waaaay back in the corner of the store and stopped carrying half of the hunting and fishing stuff they used to. You can't find anyone who works there who knows what they are doing.

I still shop there, but buy my ammo from local gun and hunting stores.

CarlosDJackal
06-09-09, 11:08
Darwinism is very applicable to commerce as well. While I mourn the loss of "Mom-and-Pop" shops; it has always been an accepted rule of business that those organizations who do not or cannot adapt to the times will fold.

Wal-Mart got to where they are because they leveraged the technology to minimize their overhead by optimizing inventory. Not only that, they allowed each store to identify non-standard items that are in demand based on the demographics of the communities they serve (ie: flip-flops in warm-weather areas).

As a rule, they prefer to buy the land they build on. This provides them with something tangible that they can later sell (usually for a profit) should that particular store were to close. Some companies still think leasing land is the way to go. But what happens is when their lease expires or becomes null and void (ie: the land owner files for bankruptcy), they have lost the amount they paid to build on that land.

I hate the fact that Wal-mart sells a lot of Made-in-China junk. But doing so has allowed them to sell items at a much lower price. People say they hate Wal-Mart until they have a need to shop there (ie: the previous poster who had to simultaneously keep multiple children in diapers). That's when Wal-Mart's buying power really helps the end consumer.

Every year I buy child restraint seats for a local charity. These are given out to struggling parents who cannot afford one. I am able to do this because of Wal-Mart's buying power and resulting low prices. JM2CW.

Mjolnir
06-09-09, 12:33
Ask yourself how many AK47s you just purchased when you purchase "Made in China" products. Those who were aware used to make light of this asking "How many AKs is that?" Pointing to something we were wearing. The highest "AK wearer had to buy tea for all present.

No, Wal-Mart's practices and Free Trade is *NOT* a good deal for America no matter who claims it is to the contrary.

Ricardo was correct: it's economic warfare on the nation's who accept it.

CarlosDJackal
06-09-09, 15:35
Ask yourself how many AK47s you just purchased when you purchase "Made in China" products. Those who were aware used to make light of this asking "How many AKs is that?" Pointing to something we were wearing. The highest "AK wearer had to buy tea for all present.

No, Wal-Mart's practices and Free Trade is *NOT* a good deal for America no matter who claims it is to the contrary.

Ricardo was correct: it's economic warfare on the nation's who accept it.

Do you really think that those AK-47s would never be built if Wal-Mart refrained from selling "Made in China" items? You do know that there are very few US manufacturers or retailers who do not deal with Chinese-made goods, right? Or are you naive enough to believe that only Wal-Mart does so?

The blame for Chinese-made products lay squarely on three categories of Americans:

- The first are the Labor Unions. They demand such high pay for crappy work ethics that the resulting Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) is too high for most Americans.

- The second are the manufacturers themselves. Even if they increase their profit margins they do so without any value added. "Quality Control" is but a mantra that has no substance behind it.

- The third are the Civil Lawyers and their scumbag clients. No matter how well you make a product, it will fail if you do not use it in the way it was intended for. Case in point: A man is riding his bicycle at 2AM and gets hit by someone driving a Jeep Wrangler despite all the reflectors that are on the bicycle (in accordance with the law). The man gets a lawyer and sues the bicycle maker because THEY DID NOT INCLUDE ANY INDICATION THAT RIDING AFTER DARK CAN BE DANGEROUS!! I have no idea whether or not this idiot won; it doesn't matter anyway. The cost of defending themselves is still passed onto the consumers.

A friend of mine was looking for a US Company to manufacture all sorts of firearms-related nylon gear. After dealing with a bunch of candidate factories, the one who was willing to use quality raw materials and guaranteed good Quality Control was going to cost so much that the items would be priced out of the reach for the targeted audience (Let's face it, most shooters are cheap bastards - myself included!! :p).

He ended up going to an Asian Country where he not only found a manufacturer who was willing to use quality raw materials, practice QC, AND do so within his budget. A lot of people bitched and moaned how he was "un-American" and yet, it's hard to find his products in stock anywhere. I personally own a bunch of these and they have held up better than the US made items that sell for twice the price!! The bonus is he's been a very good supporter of the Shooting Sports and a genuinely nice guy.

As the old saying goes, "Money talks and bull**** walks". How many of the poor do you think would be willing to put their child in danger rather than use the made-in-china child safety seat that was bought from Wal-Mart just because it may have helped build an AK-47?

As much as I would like for all those manufacturing jobs to have stayed in these United States; the reality is we have no one to blame but ourselves for the state we are currently in. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart is showing that Entrepreneurial Spirit that has helped build this country to what it was but is being demonized because they have enough common sense to give their customer what they want. JM2CW.

Mjolnir
06-09-09, 18:18
"... Do you really think that those AK-47s would never be built if Wal-Mart refrained from selling "Made in China" items?"...

Heavens no. Of course not! It's how we kept the fact that we were being inundated with goods on our minds. And hopefully would get some of us to not shop at Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc. and TRY to find an American made product. Often, we can do without. I'm not a "Consumer". I purchase what I NEED. I don't "need" tons of stuff and I don't have tons of stuff.

I was a white collared R&D engineer in the auto industry. I still had no problems with the concept of unions. Why? Because the gold collared guys and the MAJORITY stock holders would rather we work for slave wages. They also wish to maximize short term profits. They wish this so much they close plants an move them overseas or outsource parts & services.

The union employee is not monolithic bunch as you already know but some of them are stereotypically good for nothing types. That I experienced to be true.

The same can be said of the engineers, too, I may add. Many have adopted the Management's attitude - it's the most sure way to get promoted. Greed.

In my experience GREED is the cause of the ills. Everyone wanting something for nothing to the point that WE get properly "fooked" while the Gold Collar group and Majority Stockholders make a KILLING.

It's not "entrepreneural spirit" that is being displayed by Walmart. It's treasonous as they have no concern for their employee or the typical American, in my estimation. Just like the Bankers and the "Capitalist" Captains of Industry.

Terry
06-09-09, 18:40
It's good to know they have no concern for me.
What can I say, just another one.
Terry.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 19:33
Do you really think that those AK-47s would never be built if Wal-Mart refrained from selling "Made in China" items? You do know that there are very few US manufacturers or retailers who do not deal with Chinese-made goods, right? Or are you naive enough to believe that only Wal-Mart does so?

The blame for Chinese-made products lay squarely on three categories of Americans:

- The first are the Labor Unions. They demand such high pay for crappy work ethics that the resulting Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) is too high for most Americans.

Labor unions comprise something like 12% of the American work force these days. The biggest chunk of membership is in the automobile and aerospace manufacturing sector, plus public employees; which do not compete with China in our domestic market. And in general American automobile prices are competitive with Japan and Europe. Quality is another story. It's fluctuated down and up and down again since at least 1970. But there are good quality American cars, and personally I'd stack up my 12 year old Dakota against any 12 year old Toyota pickup any day. It's been 100% solid mechanically and its paint, interior and fit have held up very well. And it cost less.

What makes Chinese goods attractive is strictly low ball price. And that is primarily because their manufacturing workers are essentially wage slaves with an income that would not pay most Americans' utility bill, let alone even a modest standard of living. That and their laws concerning product safety, worker safety, pollution , patents, copyright, corporate transparency, etc are next to non-existant. And it is suspected they deliberately push down the value of their currency.

Thomas M-4
06-09-09, 19:49
"... Do you really think that those AK-47s would never be built if Wal-Mart refrained from selling "Made in China" items?"...

Heavens no. Of course not! It's how we kept the fact that we were being inundated with goods on our minds. And hopefully would get some of us to not shop at Harbor Freight, Walmart, etc. and TRY to find an American made product. Often, we can do without. I'm not a "Consumer". I purchase what I NEED. I don't "need" tons of stuff and I don't have tons of stuff.

I was a white collared R&D engineer in the auto industry. I still had no problems with the concept of unions. Why? Because the gold collared guys and the MAJORITY stock holders would rather we work for slave wages. They also wish to maximize short term profits. They wish this so much they close plants an move them overseas or outsource parts & services.

The union employee is not monolithic bunch as you already know but some of them are stereotypically good for nothing types. That I experienced to be true.

The same can be said of the engineers, too, I may add. Many have adopted the Management's attitude - it's the most sure way to get promoted. Greed.

In my experience GREED is the cause of the ills. Everyone wanting something for nothing to the point that WE get properly "fooked" while the Gold Collar group and Majority Stockholders make a KILLING.

It's not "entrepreneural spirit" that is being displayed by Walmart. It's treasonous as they have no concern for their employee or the typical American, in my estimation. Just like the Bankers and the "Capitalist" Captains of Industry.

Hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD
They would slit there own throats just to make the money now they care nothing about the future.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 20:35
Hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD
They would slit there own throats just to make the money now they care nothing about the future.

I just want to add a bit to my earlier post. Its not that I'm a raving Wal-mart hater. For the most part I consider myself in the libertarian wing of the Republican party in the Goldwater tradition. And its not that the government doesn't do its best to screw things up. I believe in free trade, but not to the point of economic and national suicide. I just don't see how there can be real free trade with the Chinese at this point.

People used to talk about how free trade would bring the third world up to our standard of living, but its more like they are dragging us down to theirs. Walmart used to proudly *proclaim* that they actively sought out American products. Somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's that all disappeared. Its not that the American products were inferior or that Walmart suddenly could not find American products for a fair price.

And I can still remember a time when the local merchants and manufacturers were pillars of the community. They were looked up to, they knew the value of a dollar and tended to be independent; a conservative and sensible voice in local politics, they knew their customers by name and vice-versa. They were the strong thread helping to hold the community together. They inspired kids to want to grow up to be like them. To me that is/was priceless.

I don't frankly know how we can regain that value. But weighed against a cheaper toaster or DVD player sold by a mega-company with no real roots in a community, I think losing that value is still too high a price to pay.

Terry
06-09-09, 20:47
PMcullen now proclaims to know the buying policies of Wal Mart:rolleyes:
I've stated it before, I guess the forum rules do not apply to this thread.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 20:54

Umm,,, do you not recall the advertising campaigns by Walmart emphasizing American products? When was the last time you saw one of those ads? This thread has already been rambling off into different aspects and now you want to flame the FNG? Thanks.

chadbag
06-09-09, 21:09

What forum rules are those?

Walk around Wal-Mart outside the grocery section. Go to 50 items and look at where they are made. Any really random sample. I have not done this but I did go look at a bunch of the stuff I recently bought at Wal-Mart. Almost all of it is made in China. Not all, but most all of it. I looked at Toys (100% made in China that I looked at), fishing stuff (the stuff that was labeled was almost all China -- and I just bought a bunch as last weekend was free fishing day here in Utah and the boy wanted to go fishing), and a garden tool (also China).

I have not seen a Wal-Mart TV ad stressing their Made in America products since the early 90s.

chadbag
06-09-09, 21:09
Umm,,, do you not recall the advertising campaigns by Walmart emphasizing American products? When was the last time you saw one of those ads? This thread has already been rambling off into different aspects and now you want to flame the FNG? Thanks.

Terry seems to work for a Wal-Mart subsidiary as a truck driver if I understood his previous claims of authority in this thread.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 21:21
What forum rules are those?

Walk around Wal-Mart outside the grocery section. Go to 50 items and look at where they are made. Any really random sample. I have not done this but I did go look at a bunch of the stuff I recently bought at Wal-Mart. Almost all of it is made in China. Not all, but most all of it. I looked at Toys (100% made in China that I looked at), fishing stuff (the stuff that was labeled was almost all China -- and I just bought a bunch as last weekend was free fishing day here in Utah and the boy wanted to go fishing), and a garden tool (also China).

I have not seen a Wal-Mart TV ad stressing their Made in America products since the early 90s.

Not only that, cio.com is not exactly mother jones:

http://www.cio.com/article/469565/Big_Supply_Chain_Troubles_in_China?page=1

"At Wal-Mart, for instance, 70 percent of the commodity goods on its shelves are made in China."

Terry
06-09-09, 21:28
I have "first hand knowledge", which is what makes this sight great, IMO.
PMc, I didn't even look at your post count, it is meaningless to me.......... buy what you want, where you want.
Terry.

Mjolnir
06-09-09, 21:48
It's good to know they have no concern for me.
What can I say, just another one.
Terry.
Have at it. I'm sure the Founding Fathers would be appalled... When it crashes around our/your ears I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room that you're sitting in.

Terry
06-09-09, 21:57
I have no idea what you mean by that.
If you mean me losing my job, then so be it..........I was looking for a job when I got this one.
I was laid off from a teamster job, great security there, and instead of whining and getting on the dole, I did what I have always done.
If thats not what you mean, it is probably best if you PM me, as I believe this is off the OP intent.
Terry.

Mjolnir
06-09-09, 22:06
I have no idea what you mean by that.
If you mean me losing my job, then so be it..........I was looking for a job when I got this one.
I was laid off from a teamster job, great security there, and instead of whining and getting on the dole, I did what I have always done.
If thats not what you mean, it is probably best if you PM me, as I believe this is off the OP intent.
Terry.

No, dude. I'd never ridicule someone losing their job nor hope that someone would lose their job. Well, the latter is not true because I watched pencil necked %$#%$@ run Ford Motor Company in the ground. I was "downsized" later from a Tier I supplier due to lack of foresight. The entire dept was gone: no more Advanced Acoustics. Easy as pie. It's not a good feeling speaking with people who don't give a damn about you all the while knowing you should not be at the Unemployment Office. So, like you, I packed my gear and drove to a new opportunity.

What I mean is that the nation is being inundated with low cost slave labor goods that displace American workers, small communities, towns and cities. Our capacity to manufacture is being eroded and little see it. It's a question National Security: If you cannot manufacture you're done as a nation. We don't own the steel mills so how easy is it to embroil the USA in foreign wars by our "allies" :rolleyes: and then have issues with quality of steel, price of steel, availability of steel and (shudder at the thought) the lack of skilled trades. THAT is what we're facing. Walmart is part of the problem. I call it "the 'Walmartization' of America".

Terry
06-09-09, 22:18
I agree with allot of what you say, but definetly not all.
Again, off the OP intent, so, work as hard as you can for what you believe in, pray, and prepare for the worst.
Terry.

PMcMullen
06-09-09, 23:00
What would be interesting to know regarding Wal-mart is what percentage of dollars/units purchased from suppliers and/or sold to consumers are directly from American manufacturers/agriculture. That would help put things into perspective vis a vis foreign suppliers.

Terry
06-10-09, 00:48
I have no facts as to percentages of domestic/foriegn manufacture, but I do know that I go to allot of places where products are made by Americans that probably would not have jobs if not for Wal Mart.
Freedom has allot of risks, capitalism being what it is, but I greatly prefer it to any other way that I am aware of.
I am really tiring of this, I realize that Wal Mart is a lighting rod for many people, but IMO, Wal Mart has saved some " mom and pop" buisness as well, and in many towns, is a welcome source of jobs and tax revenue
Shop where you want, but please, if posting anything about any corporation, small or large, research MULTIPLE sources to gain as many facts, points of view as you can.
I say that to no one in paticular.
As of today, most of our economy is still market based, capitalism still rules, but that change worries me far more than just about anything the socialists in power are destroying.
Terry.

thedog
06-15-09, 23:48
Wal-Mart...........

Mac5.56
06-15-09, 23:51
Bad...

p.s. from multiple sources... :)

Mjolnir
06-18-09, 09:35
Interesting hypothesis. I was well aware of Marx and Malthus and their International Socialist ideology. The rest is of interest but that really wasn't the point of my posting this. At any rate, I left the other paragraphs. The point is that Walmart is an instrument of globalism in that cheap goods from around the world are peddled to the unsuspecting US populace. Believe me, I understand that the lower socioeconomic populace survives on Walmart and I'm not a proponent of Lord Malthus' ideology of Genocide. I am concerned about the larger picture of reducing the vast majority of America's populace to the same subsistance level.

I know it's off topic but the loss of our steel industry and manufacturing base opens the gate to that depressed level of living.

Karl Marx, the First Real Globalist
by William Bowles

The clarion call of Marx and his 19th century socialists was Internationalism, ‘All Workers of the World Unite’, predicated as it was on the globalizing nature of industrial capitalism as it sought to expand the capitalist market into every nook and cranny where there was a buck to be made. And in so doing, Marx correctly predicted that industrial capitalism would create an organized and politically conscious working class wherever it spread, who were at the time, the most advanced section of working people, and that it would be the organized working class ‘led’ by a revolutionary organization that would do away with capitalism and replace it with a rational, planned socialist economy.

So much for the theory. The practice has taught some of us valuable lessons about just how difficult it is to build a socialist economy and not merely because we had nothing but theory to go on but also because the dominant capitalist states were determined that any and all alternatives to capitalism would and should fail and crucially, should be seen to fail.

That said, it is now apparent that the scale of the plundering is so huge that it threatens the future of life on the planet let alone the possibility of socialism, and it is most visible in the planet’s oceans with some estimates suggesting that in less than forty years 90% of the ocean’s fish stock will have been wiped out. With 1 billion people totally dependent on fish as their source of protein, this is a crisis of staggering proportions. And the thought of our planet’s oceans empty of life is simply too appalling to contemplate! The ocean is after all, our womb, we even cry salt tears.

The plain fact is, that rather than rising populations being the cause of resource depletion (Malthus rears his ugly, dead head once again), it is the insatiable appetites of the allegedly developed nations, perhaps 10% of the world’s population that is responsible for the carnage.

Around ten million sharks are slaughtered every year just for the unfortunate creature’s fins to satisfy the desires of a handful of wealthy Japanese. The carcass is tossed back into the ocean.

Every year millions of tons of tuna are sucked out of the ocean just so we can have a damn tuna sandwich, and it’s not like these are necessities, they are luxuries we can well do without. But how do you regulate 70% of planet when our ‘global’ economy is a free-for-all?

The issue is simple: can capitalism solve the crisis that confronts us without signing its own death warrant and is it even willing to try? History shows us that the answer is a resounding no to both questions.

Is Cuba showing us the way forward? :confused:

There is a certain irony in the fact that Cuba, through force of circumstance has had to embark on the construction of a sustainable economy. But it’s no accident that the world’s only socialist economy has embarked on such a revolutionary course for it is literally the only country on the planet capable of undertaking such a task. That it is in part because of the decades-long US embargo coupled to the collapse of the Soviet Union in no way diminishes the accomplishment. But regardless of the reasons, Cuba has shown us not only that it’s possible but impossible without a planned, socialist economy.

Imagine if you will, another island nation, the UK, taking a comparable route to the future? Cuba is after all, a poor country that for decades has been deliberately starved of resources and, like other countries that attempted to construct socialism, it lacks a developed infrastructure. In a word it was the least equipped to take on such a gargantuan task, let alone do it in the shadow of ‘El Norte’.

Everything that Marx wrote 150 years ago pointed in the direction that we are now being forced to consider. But will it take ecological collapse to get us to confront the issue and will that be too late?

This is not an academic question, it is now an issue of survival. But will it be only when there are no cans of tuna on the shelves or fish in the chippie that our overfed and under-informed populace wake up to the reality of the situation?

In the past, the struggle for socialism was predicated on economic and political justice for all working people and this hasn’t changed but what has changed is that the effects of unending ’growth’, that is, expansion of the capitalist ‘market’ has finally met its limit, the planet itself.

But if you think this would be some kind of wake-up call to our so-called leaders, think again. Can a leopard change its spots? Instead, it’s seen as yet another opportunity to make money! Worse still, the responsibility for ending this madness has been dumped on us but crucially without any corresponding power to do anything meaningful about it. Instead we are brow-beaten into tightening our belts, even criminalized for dumping too much garbage! Garbage we didn't create but are forced to buy when we go to the supermarket. We get the guilt and Tesco’s shareholders get the gelt.

exkc135driver
06-18-09, 10:35
When the wife drags me along to buy clothes for her (yawn), I have a little game I play to amuse myself while she is trying stuff on. I check out the labels of the ladies' clothing on the racks to see how many different Third World countries I can find listed as the places of manufacture. I've found China, India, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Korea, Viet Nam, and half a dozen South American countries. We're talking nice stores here, not Wal-Mart. So it's not just China, and it's not just Wal-Mart.

Speaking of which, we in the West used to distinguish between the PRC (Peoples' Republic of China, a/k/a Communist China, a/k/a Red China -- that large country west of Japan) and the ROC (Republic of China, a/k/a Taiwan -- that comparatively small island east of the PRC). Somehow the PRC, which was run for decades by its Child Molester in Chief, Mao Zedong (or Mao Tse-tung, if you prefer) has morphed into China (as in, the China).

MarshallDodge
06-18-09, 13:43
Mention the word shopping and I cringe. I probably go to the mall once a year so when I have to go to a store, it is convenient to be able to get a variety of items in one place. I can go and get a can of spray paint, box of ammo, case of oil, and groceries all under one roof. We can even park our RV in the lot and spend the night for free.

Walmart definitely has the corner on the market but they started like everybody else, building on an idea or plan one store at a time, just like Kmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. They have gotten very big and are a bull in the marketplace which is why they receive some of the heat that may or may not be substantiated.