PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Lube for Daily CCW?

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 09:38
Hello all,

To the daily CCW folks here, what do you lube your primary CCW weapons with and why? Grease? Oil? How bad does it run out and onto your clothing?

With the hotter weather upon us here in Denver I am rethinking my lubrication practices. I am thinking of going from oil to grease but honestly I have never used grease to lube a weapon and I don't know where to begin with it.

This would be for my M&P9c and my 1911 if that changes anything.

Thanks!

Amp Mangum
05-12-09, 09:48
TW25B. Stays put and and thin enough that it doesn't slow down the slide like thicker greases do.

ST911
05-12-09, 10:31
Tetra, TW-25B, WS-CLP, Slip, whatever high quality lube is on hand. I don't use grease on any handgun.

Haven't had much problem with runoff onto clothing, but I'm using mostly Glocks and J-frames. This might be more an issue with other lube sensitive systems.

My maintainance and carry methods don't change with the season. Nor when traveling to Denver. ;)

G34Shooter
05-12-09, 10:35
I use a thin layer of Weaponshield grease on the rails and Weaponshield CLP everywhere else...

markm
05-12-09, 10:36
Mobile 1. I lightly apply it to the few areas that a Glock requires.. using a q-tip to avoid dripping lube.

1SFG
05-12-09, 10:39
Militec

Thomas M-4
05-12-09, 10:48
Mobil 1 few drops on required areas Brownells action lube plus on slide rails apply with Q tip. Brownells mag slick dry lube applied to magazines.

Copis
05-12-09, 10:48
TW25B. Stays put and and thin enough that it doesn't slow down the slide like thicker greases do.

+1 works well for me

thopkins22
05-12-09, 10:56
James Yeager on lubricating a Glock pistol(though it should be pretty universal,) with grease. He's using Gun Butter Trigger and Locking Lug Grease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc

gtmtnbiker98
05-12-09, 11:20
I use TW25B on my carry weapons, works well.

dirksterg30
05-12-09, 11:35
I use Eezox on most of my carry guns. Since it's a dry lube, it doesn't collect dust and lint; that definitely makes a difference with my pocket-carried P3AT. I do put a little TW25 grease on the slide rails, hammer/slide interface etc. For my M&P9c I just use Breakfree CLP.

LittleRedToyota
05-12-09, 13:16
i think the best approach is highly gun-dependent. what is a good idea for a glock might not be a good idea for a 1911, etc.

for my glock 17...

a small dab of mobil 1 synthetic grease where the trigger bar and connector meet.

a very little FP-10 on the barrel/locking lugs and slide rails.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-12-09, 13:27
In my experience they are all fine. I use Remoil or breakfree or whatever is cheap at wally world. I have never fooled with grease (never felt the need). I run my range guns wet and dirty as hell and lube never seems to be any sort of issue.

Thomas M-4
05-12-09, 14:08
Really dont think it matters that much what ever works best for you.

Any body ever use zep industrial spray on dry moly ?
Had a can years ago worked really good in the Eaa witness I had at the time.
Cant find it anymore

Vic303
05-12-09, 14:19
Mystic JT-6 grease mostly, with a bit of liquid oil if I need to lube a difficult to access area.

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 15:24
I have been using Slip 2000 or WS CLP, just wandering what people thought of using grease so as to lessen the oil stains on the clothing/gun smell.

Copis
05-12-09, 20:43
I have been using Slip 2000 or WS CLP, just wandering what people thought of using grease so as to lessen the oil stains on the clothing/gun smell.

TW25B stays where you put it .....It doesnt migrate due to heat. The syringe applicator allows for precision in placing the grease . No real offensive smell......TW25B works well in Denver ;)

DRich
05-12-09, 20:52
Over the years, I've used just about every oil/grease combo on the market at various times. I've yet to have any of them stain my clothing or have a noticeable odor when carrying OWB or IWB with leather or kydex holsters. This is in SE Texas where the heat and humidity are very high. Seems to be a non-issue here. I worry more about my sweat damaging the gun than I do about my gun damaging my clothing.

Just for reference, this has been with Glocks, Sigs and 1911's and a J-frame.

rly45acp
05-12-09, 21:06
TB25B was my lube of choice until about six months ago when I tried some Slip 2000 EWL. I now prefer it, though the grease still has its place.

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 21:43
TW25B stays where you put it .....It doesnt migrate due to heat. The syringe applicator allows for precision in placing the grease . No real offensive smell......TW25B works well in Denver ;)

LOL, ok you convinced me, I will try it.

JonInWA
05-13-09, 17:35
TW25B, Weaponshield, and Dri-Slide (for fiddly internal parts lube needs and the exposed barrel exterior of my Glock G34).

Best, Jon

Beat Trash
05-13-09, 18:21
Over the last 28 years, I have used CLP/Breakfree, Moble 1 oil, Mil TEc 1.

Never had an issue with oil staining my cloths. Never had issue with the oil.

For duty guns, and off duty/CCW guns, I like to clean at least every other week. Especially for CCW guns, it's amazing how much lint, ect. can collect inside of a gun, even inside of the gun barrel.

I spent a year assigned to our Department's Mounted Patrol Unit. I would find red hairs from my horse inside of my S&W 5946! Don't ask me how they got there... No clue.

Unless I were operating in an extreme claimant, such as sub zero cold, or desert/dust environment, I wouldn't worry much about the type of oil.

If I were operating in these environments, I'd look into a dry lube of some type.

My agency uses Moble 1 synthetic motor oil for their guns. When assisting with the Patrol Rifle program initial training and qualifications, we had a couple of training days with weather in the low "teens". The AR's functioned well with the Moble 1. Better than the shooters did in the cold.

I personally have no need for grease on a handgun.

ra2bach
05-13-09, 22:29
Eezox

markman
12-11-09, 06:55
+2 on the Eezox.

Powder_Burn
12-11-09, 10:05
Just a few drops of Militec or Slip 2000 EWL on the contact points and a film on the barrel/lug/barrel hood seems to work well. It does dry out over time so I usually reapply every month or so and have not encountered any runoff problems.

decodeddiesel
12-11-09, 10:15
+2 on the Eezox.

Dude, I appreciate the response, but seriously look at the date on these threads before you bump them back up. This thread is 7 months old. Further more it died for a reason as it has turned into "What's you favorite lube?" instead of an objective discussion of the different types of pistol lubricants and why they work or don't work for a daily CCW piece.

wes007
12-11-09, 11:16
The rule of thumb from is grease for sliding parts and oil rotating parts.

I think it honestly it comes down to personal preference. Experiences that one user has with one brand might differ tremendously from what another user has with that brand.

Its all about what works for you or finding out what works for you. Some people run both grease and oil, some run just oil or grease.

In all honesty I use motor oil for both my ar and pistol. Its cheap abundant and Ive yet to see a problem from it.

decodeddiesel
12-11-09, 12:07
The rule of thumb from is grease for sliding parts and oil rotating parts.

What "rule of thumb" would that be?

wes007
12-11-09, 16:06
What "rule of thumb" would that be?

Grease is simply a super viscous oil. It is applied where any great amount of shear stress is going to occur because its viscosity allows it stay in place rather than splash around and dissipate like an oil would.

The reason for oil on rotating parts is because generally oil can go in places where grease cant necessarily reach.

El Cid
12-11-09, 16:35
10-8 Performance Lube.

gan1hck
12-11-09, 17:50
I leave mine DRY.

I lube for range time...... but keep it dry on a day to day basis.

decodeddiesel
12-11-09, 21:47
I leave mine DRY.

I lube for range time...... but keep it dry on a day to day basis.

I hope you're not serious.

wes007
12-11-09, 23:43
I hope you're not serious.

Are you referring to your defensive firearms or your range toys? That is slightly odd that you leave them bone dry

skyugo
12-12-09, 00:36
6 little drops of militec1

i wipe the slide down with a small amount of breakfree CLP.

this is for glocks. i usually clean and lube bi-weekly or after every time i shoot. (actually works out to more like weekly)

skyugo
12-12-09, 00:47
Are you referring to your defensive firearms or your range toys? That is slightly odd that you leave them bone dry

depending what gun and what environment he carries in this might not be a terrible idea...
most modern pistols will run through a few mags problem free with no lube. if he's in a dusty environment it might be wise not to attract dust..

that said... lube+dirt is usually slipperier than just dirt.

Turnkey11
12-12-09, 01:08
Slip EWL on the Glock.

decodeddiesel
12-12-09, 08:08

I did not post about leaving my guns dry. You really need to learn how to use the forum.

decodeddiesel
12-12-09, 08:13
depending what gun and what environment he carries in this might not be a terrible idea...
most modern pistols will run through a few mags problem free with no lube. if he's in a dusty environment it might be wise not to attract dust..

that said... lube+dirt is usually slipperier than just dirt.

Negative, leaving a weapon dry is ALWAYS a piss poor idea. I have "carried" in extremely dusty and lousy environments (read Iraq, Kuwait, etc.) and never once even for a millisecond considered carrying my weapons dry.

You may have to take more precautions to keep your weapon free from dust and sand by protecting it from the environment with muzzle covers, concealment, t-shirts around actions (read machine guns), and the like but running a weapon dry is the absolute 100% wrong answer.

Alpha Sierra
12-12-09, 08:22
In my experience they are all fine. I use Remoil or breakfree or whatever is cheap at wally world.
Pretty much what I think too.

gan1hck
12-12-09, 09:41

at the range, when I expect to go through a number of rounds, magazines, etc. I 'll lube it up...

but after the range, I'll clean my pistols...which ever one...with CLP...and leave VERY little lube on it....

My range toys are also my CCW pistols...I don't want any of the lube getting into the ammo.

If I ever use my pistols in a CCW/defensive situation, I'm not expecting to be drawn out into a prolonged firefight where the lack of lube is going to be an issue...What's the FBI say? 4 rounds 4 feet 4 seconds? or is it yards...I can't remember.

However, I've had ammo hang fire on me in the past because of lube getting on the ammo....NOT a good defensive situation to put the trigger, and have the gun go click....then a few seconds later go bang.

That's just my rationale......based on my personal experience....as a civilian who doesn't carry or shoot for a living.

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 11:51
The chances of a weapons failure due to no lube is a greater threat than your lube causing a malfunction as long as it's applied the correct way.

If your lube is causing problems with your ammo the there are two likely problems

1.) You are not lubing the weapon properly

or

2.) You are using shitty ammo.

decodeddiesel
12-12-09, 11:52
at the range, when I expect to go through a number of rounds, magazines, etc. I 'll lube it up...

but after the range, I'll clean my pistols...which ever one...with CLP...and leave VERY little lube on it....

My range toys are also my CCW pistols...I don't want any of the lube getting into the ammo.

If I ever use my pistols in a CCW/defensive situation, I'm not expecting to be drawn out into a prolonged firefight where the lack of lube is going to be an issue...What's the FBI say? 4 rounds 4 feet 4 seconds? or is it yards...I can't remember.

However, I've had ammo hang fire on me in the past because of lube getting on the ammo....NOT a good defensive situation to put the trigger, and have the gun go click....then a few seconds later go bang.

That's just my rationale......based on my personal experience....as a civilian who doesn't carry or shoot for a living.

Good lord this is really bad data.

This hang fire, how do you know lube caused it? No some lube on the case or the primer would not be cause for a hang fire. Weapons lubricants are too viscus to manage to get into a case at the crimp or primer pocket. This is the physics of the thing and I can have a chemical engineer at my work explain it in much greater detail if you wish. Frankly what your describing is virtually impossible if you are correctly applying your lube and using high quality factory ammunition (as you certainly should for a defensive piece).

Your rational for carrying with no lube is seriously flawed. Ask any of the reputable trainers or professionals on this site if they would EVER carry a dry weapon and see what they say. Of course no one expects to get into a long drawn out firefight but only expecting to fire 4 rounds from your weapon in a real self defense scenario is foolhardy at best.

Why in the world would you even want to risk your weapon malfunctioning after a few rounds? Limiting yourself and your equipment in a serious life and death situation where you need to fire your CCW weapon to save your life or someone else's is just ridiculous.

1.) I would strongly urge you to least place a drop or two of CLP on your frame rails, barrel hood, and the outside of your barrel where it contacts your slide.

2.) I would strongly urge you to take a serious training class offered by a vetted and reputable (read not some NRA certified schmo) trainer. I'm not talking about a "training" class you have to take to get a CCW. I am talking about a real high intensity course of instruction which will teach you to use your pistol effectively in a serious situation. You obviously have some seriously flawed misconceptions about this whole thing.

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 11:57
I like my guns like my women. I'd take a dirty well lubed one than a clean one with no lube.

This comes from seeing everything from Glock to Sigs to M&P's shit the bed every 6 months at qualifications because of little to no lube.

Most common reply to me asking WTF, "I don't know what happened, I cleaned it up before coming out here."

ST911
12-12-09, 12:53
depending what gun and what environment he carries in this might not be a terrible idea... most modern pistols will run through a few mags problem free with no lube. if he's in a dusty environment it might be wise not to attract dust..

My range toys are also my CCW pistols...I don't want any of the lube getting into the ammo. If I ever use my pistols in a CCW/defensive situation, I'm not expecting to be drawn out into a prolonged firefight where the lack of lube is going to be an issue...What's the FBI say? 4 rounds 4 feet 4 seconds? or is it yards...I can't remember. However, I've had ammo hang fire on me in the past because of lube getting on the ammo....NOT a good defensive situation to put the trigger, and have the gun go click....then a few seconds later go bang. That's just my rationale......based on my personal experience....as a civilian who doesn't carry or shoot for a living.

The dust thing is nonsense.

Lube migration to ammo on a properly lubed gun loaded with quality ammunition is a non-issue.

When I contemplate preparations to my gun for defensive purposes, minimums are never a standard to aspire to. That whole 4-4-4 thing (or whatever the current analysis offers) is an average. When the situation is above that average, my hardware and software better be, too.

Lube your guns like you mean it. And use a high quality lube, like Slip, WS-CLP, Tetra, TW25B, etc. RemOil, Hoppes, etc need not apply.

gan1hck
12-12-09, 13:21
The chances of a weapons failure due to no lube is a greater threat than your lube causing a malfunction as long as it's applied the correct way.

If your lube is causing problems with your ammo the there are two likely problems

1.) You are not lining the weapon properly

or

2.) You are using shitty ammo.

what's that mean?...as for ammo....it was winchester 115gr silver tip...I think...this was more than 20 years ago...in a beretta 92fs

gan1hck
12-12-09, 13:26
1.) I would strongly urge you to least place a drop or two of CLP on your frame rails, barrel hood, and the outside of your barrel where it contacts your slide.

2.) I would strongly urge you to take a serious training class offered by a vetted and reputable (read not some NRA certified schmo) trainer. I'm not talking about a "training" class you have to take to get a CCW. I am talking about a real high intensity course of instruction which will teach you to use your pistol effectively in a serious situation. You obviously have some seriously flawed misconceptions about this whole thing.

I actually do that...I guess it's degrees.

I've not taken a class where you pay a bunch of money to attend...but I did a lot of shooting at Fort Meade in the early 90's with a group of guys led by john pepper....practical pistol? I think was what it was called.

doing all the stuff that is described in the classes that I read about....

We'd go through hundreds of round during a day of shooting....I guess I just don't remember any particular significance paid to lubing the weapons...

anyways...I appreciate all the advice.

wes007
12-12-09, 14:34
Well from an engineering perspective anything mechanical eventually will fail. Lubrication provides a means to reduce the frictional coefficient between the slide and the frame.

Yes you should be able to fire you gun fine with out lube, but the greater the friction the more force it will take for the slide to be pushed back when firing. It might not be an issue at first but over time it will have devastating effects on your gun.

There is a reason that cars have oil in it, try running your car without any oil for a week and see what happens to your car.

gan1hck
12-12-09, 14:36
Well from an engineering perspective anything mechanical eventually will fail. Lubrication provides a means to reduce the frictional coefficient between the slide and the frame.

Yes you should be able to fire you gun fine with out lube, but the greater the friction the more force it will take for the slide to be pushed back when firing. It might not be an issue at first but over time it will have devastating effects on your gun.

There is a reason that cars have oil in it, try running your car without any oil for a week and see what happens to your car.

I mean I don't fire it unlubed...or I should rephrase...minimally lubed....I just carry it that way..

I lube up at the range.

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 14:36
what's that mean?...as for ammo....it was winchester 115gr silver tip...I think...this was more than 20 years ago...in a beretta 92fs

Lubing. Damn auto-type on my iPhone.

Basing your ideas of carry lube on one incident that happened two decades ago is probably not the best idea.

I'm not suggesting you pull the gun out of the holster and it look like a water gun with a leak, but you do need to make sure that all of you high friction areas get wet. With modern ammo, lube migration is a non-issue, but then again Murphy loves to prove me wrong. But like was said before, if you plan and train for four shots at four feet in four seconds then you are woefully underprepared and undertrained.

We train for CQB with handguns and rifles and I shoot weekly the keep my skill set up. But when the time did come it was not on a static line and againt a human shaped piece of cardboard on level ground. It was from 12 yards aiming up with two rounds through a storm door.

If you bet on averages, most of the time you lose.

wes007
12-12-09, 17:05
I mean I don't fire it unlubed...or I should rephrase...minimally lubed....I just carry it that way..

I lube up at the range.

If it works for you and floats your boat then go for it :cool:

MarshallDodge
12-12-09, 17:26
A couple more choices in this deteriorating thread ;)

I was using WeaponShield CLP then tried Super Lube (http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ez-49.htm) but lately have been playing withSlipstream Oil (http://www.crusaderweaponry.com/main.php?view=slipstream). It made a big difference on how the trigger feels on my M&P but I am not sure it does as good a job staying put as Super Lube.

Super Lube has a really light viscosity for being a grease and works from -40° to 450° F. I bought some at my local gun shop after it being recommended by a local IPSC guy. I apply it using a Q-tip with just enough to make the surface shine and it does a good job of staying there. Works good in the AR as well.

I noticed that a couple hardware stores are carrying it.

jaydoc1
12-12-09, 18:09

I lube up at the range.

So you're saying that when your life doesn't depend on it (at the range) you make sure your gun is good and lubed. But when your life could depend on it (CCW) it's minimally lubed?

You may want to rethink your priorities there.

Kazzy
12-12-09, 19:11
So you're saying that when your life doesn't depend on it (at the range) you make sure your gun is good and lubed. But when your life could depend on it (CCW) it's minimally lubed?

You may want to rethink your priorities there.

+1... gan1hck, this site is very informative.. read around a bit and you may pick up some things that may change your training style and mindset

skyugo
12-12-09, 19:19
I like my guns like my women. I'd take a dirty well lubed one than a clean one with no lube.

This comes from seeing everything from Glock to Sigs to M&P's shit the bed every 6 months at qualifications because of little to no lube.

Most common reply to me asking WTF, "I don't know what happened, I cleaned it up before coming out here."

i've never run my glocks with no lube.
i kind of assumed it would work.. but figured less friction= good, so i always lube.
the fact that you see glocks, sigs and M&P's crap out during qualification due to lack of lube makes me NEVER want to run a gun dry!

thanks.

awm14hp
12-12-09, 19:23
mobil one or weaponshild in the winter and slide glide or red grease in the summer

ST911
12-12-09, 20:24
mobil one or weaponshild in the winter and slide glide or red grease in the summer

Why even bother switching? Mobile 1 and WS-CLP both are GTG year 'round.

yrac
12-12-09, 20:37
Guys -

For the purposes of answering the OP's question, let's not debate whether or not one needs to keep the gun lubed. The OP is going to lube his gun, so let's stick to answering his question as to whether to use a grease or a "wet" lube. Thanks.

On to the OP's question... I generally use a wet lube for training when I want to be able to quickly apply it during a break and then keep going. For daily carry, I've become a fan of grease because it tends to stay put so nicely. However, it is more difficult to apply so I apply it when I've field stripped the weapon. Lately, I've been using Weaponshield grease.

Not quite sure how to answer the "gun smell" portion of the question - whether it's a wet lube or a grease, it's going to smell like whatever it smells like. Personally, I find the smell of Weaponshield, whether the grease or the wet lube, to be very pleasant.

Heavy Metal
12-12-09, 22:02
Yep Dude, George Fennell dopes WS with Cinnamon. Smells nice.

SWATcop556
12-13-09, 02:53
Just so I can contibute more than just a hijack to this thread I use the EWL or the 10-8 lube. Both require very little lube to be effective and stay in place decently if you don't over do it.

I try to stay away from the greases just because they seem to gum up the guns and collect a lot more carbon and grime. I initially used grease on my 1911's but have since switched to using lube for everything from ARs to handguns.

I personally like the smell of both. If only Hoppes made a cologne.........

CaptainDooley
12-13-09, 09:25
Yep Dude, George Fennell dopes WS with Cinnamon. Smells nice.

I recently started using WeaponShield and as with any new lube/solvent I try the "indoor test" which is where I clean a weapon somewhere other than the garage and see the what the wife's reaction is. Normally I get a, "If you clean your damn guns inside one more time I'm going to sell them on eBay!" I apologize and wisely don't mention that you can't sell guns on eBay...

However, with WeaponShield she walks into the living room and says, "What's that smell?" After telling her it was the new lube I got for my guns she just said, "Huh," and walked off. I took that to mean that it didn't smell as bad or as "gun-like" as the other stuff I've been using (Hoppes #9 Solvent or Breakfree CLP lately).

As for it's usability - I've been real pleased with the WS, but I've only been using it a month or so...

awm14hp
12-13-09, 13:46
Why even bother switching? Mobile 1 and WS-CLP both are GTG year 'round.

Few diff reasons the biggest one being I live right off Lake Ontario and it gets alittle below chilly here I dont like the grease and the cold weather that much esp since I spend a ton of time outside in it. I like the performace of the grease much better over the oils. Maybe its all mental but I try and shoot as much as possible and I like the xtra protection I get from the grease I also like the way it stays put alittle better.

As far as lube or no lube. I would always run WET and Dirty over DRY and CLEAN. I always lube

Mr. Goodtimes
07-13-11, 16:10
I thought I would dig up this thread as I feel I have something productive to add.

I have been running TW25B weapons grease in my P30 (my carry gun and the gun I shoot the most by far) now for about two months. I have found it to be an exceptional lubricant as it does not attract dirt or run and is very, very slippery stuff.

I have been shooting around 500rds a month, cleaning at the end of the month. After a month all of the TW25B that I had originally put on the pistol was still in place. It was a nasty grey color from powder and dust but there were no large particals of dirt; the lubricant was also still extremely slippery. During a month of shooting and carrying the gun all day on a daily basis in the hot Florida heat I never had any trouble with the lube running.

One of the biggest reasons that I switched from lube to TW25B grease is that my lubricants were running. I was previously using Royal Purple 20W50 motor oil and even with such a heavy weight lubricant it would still start to seep out of the weapon under the hot FL heat.

Over the two months and 1,000 rounds I've been using TW25B I have experienced no malfunctions what so ever, it lubricates very well, does not run, attract dirt etc. and is exceptionally easy to clean up.