PDA

View Full Version : A handguns history

AKinfidel
05-12-09, 13:19
Is there a way to look up a gun by its serial number to find out if it has a history? i.e.; stolen, used in a crime etc....
Looking to buy a gun from a guy who knows a guy... $ is right. Too right? $400 for a Glock 10mm

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 15:16
No, there is no weapon's registration in the US.

You can check with the local police to see if has been stolen however.

tpd223
05-12-09, 16:57
I'd go down to the local police station and have them run the serial number.

Iraqgunz
05-13-09, 08:18
About 12 years ago my brother was offered a what he thought was a smoking deal as well. We were able to go to the local PD and they ran the make/model and number through NCIC to see if it was on the hitlist.

88redryder88
05-13-09, 10:51
What would happen if it were stolen? Would you be in trouble if you already own the gun? I have a couple I'd like to check out as well. ;)

markm
05-13-09, 10:54
What would happen if it were stolen? Would you be in trouble if you already own the gun? I have a couple I'd like to check out as well. ;)

The weapon would obviously be seized. If you honestly purchased it without knowing it was stolen, it would be highly unlikely you'd get charged.

LittleRedToyota
05-13-09, 10:59
Too right? $400 for a Glock 10mm

might not be "too right".

the gun is probably worth more than that, but, in my experience at least, selling 10mm pistols for what they are really worth can be difficult if you are in any kind of a hurry to sell it.

not that many people are looking to buy them, so finding someone who is willing to pay what they are worth can be problematic.

there are a lot more people out there looking for glocks in 9mm, .40s&w, etc. you can relatively easily find a used glock 17 for $400. so, to sell the 10mm for more than that, you might need to find someone who is specifically looking for a 10mm and willing to pay a premium for it. those people can be hard to find, so, if the guy is just in a hurry to sell the gun, $400, while a great deal for the buyer, is not, imho, a reason to suspect the seller.

warpigM-4
05-13-09, 11:04
have you tried calling the maker or distributor ?? I able to find out some info on a colt I had about 15 yrs ago.

TY44934
05-13-09, 13:54
Couple facts here:

1) police will probably run the number through NICS for you if they are not too busy. AND, they WILL expect you to turn in the seller if it comes back stolen.

2) I understand through family that my idiot brother had a handgun confiscated a few years ago & was charged with possessing a stolen gun. Problem was: he bought the gun legally - through a gunshop. In California (he used to live there).

Family obtained a good lawyer for him & obtained the sale info from the FFL in California (and all charges were dropped). We have not spoken in years - but the facts come through reliable sources.

The point is: just because you buy a gun from an FFL does not mean its not stolen; not too long ago they did NOT routinely check at the FFL level - either for purchases or sales.

There is some indication that they DO check all transactions now:

Fast forward to last year: a friend sells 2 or 3 guns he has not shot in years to an FFL. Police then call him since one of the handguns came back as stolen. Again, the friend had legally purchased the gun in Maryland - one of the toughest states as far as gun laws - from a Maryland FFL. And again, once he proved that the gun was lawfully purchased from an FFL, nothing came of it .

In both cases, the buyers were screwed out of their money for a stolen gun they bought from an FFL & after the NICS approved the sale.