PDA

View Full Version : Colt mags VS Uzi mags: advantages/disadvantages?

ApexinM3
05-12-09, 16:32
Hi all,
I am a novice to the pistol caliber AR platform and have settled on building a 9mm carbine. I searched the forums but didn't come across anything conclusive. The question I have is this: which mag should I set mine up for? I know Uzi mags are plentiful and reasonably cost efficient, though I am aware of no cons. The Colt mags, on the other hand, are expensive and I have heard prone to dumping their load if dropped on the ground. But they are the original.

I have no experience with the 9mm platform, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I just want to get the most bang for my buck. I do want it to be reliable though as it may be a HD weapon (maybe...)

And mods, I don't mean to start a pi**ing match here, so if it starts to go that way I won't be hurt if the thread gets locked.I am not an operator, a mall ninja, a member of USSOCOM, SWAT, or any other uber-elite tacticool fighting unit. I plan on plinking at the range and building something neat & fun to shoot, not raiding drug houses, clearing rooms , storming ships, or parachuting into hot LZs with it. I am just looking for sound advice. Thank you all in advance! :D

kalikraven
05-12-09, 17:19
C prducts has 9mm mags but they are not very relable. I have had many problems with mine and have given up on them. Spikes is now having Metal Form (the original Colt Mag producer) make mags for them using the origal dies. I got some in today and they look just like my Colt mag so it seems very promising. Ask RobS about his opinion on 9mm mags or got to tacticalyellowvisor.com to read about them. He has good reviews and lots of good info.

andy t
05-12-09, 18:39
There are two 9mm systems that I'm aware of:
1. The Olympic arms uses either modified/unmodified Sten magazines or Glock magazines.
2. The Colt/RRA system uses either Colt/ modified Uzi or unmodified Uzi only. Which magazines you use is determined by the lower or mag block adapter you get. If you have a Colt or RRA 9mm lower, you will be able to use Colt and modified Uzi mags. However, if you decided to get a drop in magwell adapter, there are some that allow you to use unmodified Uzi mags, but they change the manual of arms.
Personally, I own a Colt 6430 which allows me to use original Colt magazines and modified Uzi magazines. The modification on Uzi magazine consists of cutting a hole for the magazine release.

Joe R.
05-12-09, 23:21
Andy covered much of the mechanics. Other things to consider are that the Colt mags will lock the bolt open on an empty mag. Uzi mags will not. Uzi mags are easy to load. Colt mags suck to load after about 10-15 rounds (I recommend the JFS loading tool, cheap and it works).

I went with the Colt block so I can use the Colt mags or the modified Uzi mags. Best of both worlds. If I want the platform to run optimally (to it's full potential) I use the Colts. For general putzing about I have some Uzi mags.

andy t
05-13-09, 07:19
Joe,
Thanks for reminding how painful the mags are to load by hand. I forgot because I got a Colt 9mm LULA :). If you go down the 9mm AR (Colt / un/modified Uzi mags) path, the LULA is the best investment.

scottryan
05-18-09, 20:13
Anyone that uses Uzi or other non Colt/Metalform mags in a Colt 9mm system is a wannabe and uses a unreliable trash setup akin to buying an Olympic AR15.

You can dick around wasting ammo (money) and find out the other magazine suck or you can buy factory magazines in the first place.

andy t
05-18-09, 22:35
I disagree re: Colt magazines only. I have a few genuine Colts magazines, however, being in a ban state, I can't get new production and pre-ban Colt magazines usually go for $70-$100 a piece. So far my converted Uzi mags were 100% reliable, with the only downside is not locking the bolt open. For my purpose they more than satisfactory.
What is the basis for your "...other magazines suck" statement?

scottryan
05-18-09, 23:10
I disagree re: Colt magazines only. I have a few genuine Colts magazines, however, being in a ban state, I can't get new production and pre-ban Colt magazines usually go for $70-$100 a piece. So far my converted Uzi mags were 100% reliable, with the only downside is not locking the bolt open. For my purpose they more than satisfactory.
What is the basis for your "...other magazines suck" statement?

I'd rather have 2 Colt mags than 10 Uzi mags.

Colt mags hold the bolt open. You don't have a heavy ass blowback bolt hitting an empty chamber every time the magazine is dry. No hard steel on steel impact.

Uzi magazines are not as reliable as Colt factory magazines. They may be reliable for you but I have seen a number of them that aren't.

C products magazines are not as good as the Metalform magazines.

When the next AWB comes, it will come down to who has factory Uzi mags and who has hacked up ones to work in a 9mm AR15.

I feel very strongly about this because I have more experience with the 9mm system than most. Even people who have extensive knowledge with 5.56 AR15s.

andy t
05-19-09, 07:16
How damaging would the bolt on empty chamber impact be to the gun?

I'd rather have 2 Colt mags than 10 Uzi mags.

Colt mags hold the bolt open. You don't have a heavy ass blowback bolt hitting an empty chamber every time the magazine is dry. No hard steel on steel impact.

Uzi magazines are not as reliable as Colt factory magazines. They may be reliable for you but I have seen a number of them that aren't.

C products magazines are not as good as the Metalform magazines.

When the next AWB comes, it will come down to who has factory Uzi mags and who has hacked up ones to work in a 9mm AR15.

I feel very strongly about this because I have more experience with the 9mm system than most. Even people who have extensive knowledge with 5.56 AR15s.

scottryan
05-19-09, 12:26
How damaging would the bolt on empty chamber impact be to the gun?

You are not suppose to drop the slide/bolt on an empty chamber on any firearm.

I realize some rifles do not have a bolt hold open but those have some type of camming action between the bolt and carrier to lessen the blow.

Alaskapopo
05-30-09, 03:12
Anyone that uses Uzi or other non Colt/Metalform mags in a Colt 9mm system is a wannabe and uses a unreliable trash setup akin to buying an Olympic AR15.

You can dick around wasting ammo (money) and find out the other magazine suck or you can buy factory magazines in the first place.

I have 2 Colt Mags 6 C Products mags and 5 modified UZI mags. The UZI mags are reliable and cheaper and make fine range plinking mags. Colts are nice because they lock the bolt back. The C Products are hit or miss. I sent half of them back before I got them running.
pat

Alaskapopo
05-30-09, 03:13
You are not suppose to drop the slide/bolt on an empty chamber on any firearm.

I realize some rifles do not have a bolt hold open but those have some type of camming action between the bolt and carrier to lessen the blow.

The only gun I have ever seen it damage was one Wilson KZ45.
Pat

khc3
05-30-09, 10:56
Colt mags, in my experience, are far more reliable than converted UZI mags.

Colt mags are far from perfect, though, as they are hard to load and will often volcano the rounds out the top if you drop them or even bump them too hard.

kalikraven
05-30-09, 11:09
The bottom line is if I had to go into combat or use my 9mm AR to protect life or property I'm going to reach for my Colt/Spikes (both Metalform) mags before I even think about going for a CProducts mag. And sure the Uzi mags may work, but I'm not a big fan of Jerry Rigging things as important as my firearms.

Alaskapopo
06-01-09, 01:04
The bottom line is if I had to go into combat or use my 9mm AR to protect life or property I'm going to reach for my Colt/Spikes (both Metalform) mags before I even think about going for a CProducts mag. And sure the Uzi mags may work, but I'm not a big fan of Jerry Rigging things as important as my firearms.

I agree however my 9mm AR would be one of my last choices in such a situation.
Pat

kalikraven
06-01-09, 09:11
I also agree with you on that. However it does have it's place. No AR platform can beat it in the compact/quiet categories... when properly suppressed. :) I'm waiting on my Form 4 to come back on a AAC M42k after that happens my 12.5" SBR with said can will be my primary go to gun. Right now its either the 10.5" 300 Whisper Suppressed or my 5.5" 9mm Suppressed. Both are poor choices for indor work due to overpenatration.