PDA

View Full Version : PSP ammo ?

Terry
05-12-09, 19:12
I have been buying all the .223/.556 ammo I can find lately that is 55grain or higher.
Allot of what i have been buying is 55 grain pointed soft point, with the exposed lead tip.
Will this cause a build up of lead in the bbl?, or any other problems?
Thank you, Terry.

DRich
05-12-09, 19:18
You shouldn't notice any additional lead in the barrel, but some AR's have a hard time feeding SP ammo. I had an Armalite that wouldn't feed it at all and a Bushmaster that choked on it quite often.

I haven't tried any SP ammo in several years, though. M4 ramped uppers may fare better, but I don't know for sure.

Terry
05-13-09, 06:40
I am going to try some as soon as I get enough to shoot and have a reserve.
I have a DD M4, and I thought I read here that the feed ramps would help with feeding soft points, but I couldn't find the thread.
Thank you, Terry.

markm
05-13-09, 09:06
Molon said that one of the terminal ballistic gurus had feeding issues due to lead build up on the feedramps after lots of SP bullets were fired in the gun.

tpd223
05-13-09, 16:40
Doc Roberts has mentioned seeing that in the past.

Over the years we've issued 55gr and 60gr SP in Federal, Hornady and Winchester flavor, never had an issue. We normally shot 55gr ball for practice though, so the FMJ bullets may have keep any lead build up from happening with the SPs.

We are currently issuing a custom 5.56mm spec loading of a Hornady 60gr SP, not having any issues pop up.

Terry
05-14-09, 07:10
Thanks for all the help.
I will keep an eye on the ramps.
Terry.

markm
05-14-09, 08:27
Doc Roberts has mentioned seeing that in the past.

Yeah... that was it. Not too many people can afford to shoot enough premium soft point for it to be a problem I'd guess. ;)

tpd223
05-15-09, 03:04
Yeah... that was it. Not too many people can afford to shoot enough premium soft point for it to be a problem I'd guess. ;)

No kidding.

JoshNC
05-15-09, 22:26

I seem to remember DocGKR mentioning that this can occur in as few as 200 rounds and that taking a wire bristle brush to the feedramps will remedy the problem until it builds up again.

markm
05-16-09, 09:13
Yeah... But at $0.92 per round, I won't be shooting 200 rounds of Gold Dot any time soon. ;)

ST911
05-16-09, 15:47
I shoot a lot of Hornady's 55gr and 60gr JSP bullets, and used them in classes. No excess, or even extra, leading in the bore. Comparatively more leading on the ramps than an FMJ, OTM, or JHP. No problems to date.

It's never a bad idea to watch for that leading, but don't lose sleep over it.

Most of what I shoot for training and varminting is the reman Black Hills 55 JSP (Hornady bullet).

JoshNC
05-16-09, 22:33
Yeah... But at $0.92 per round, I won't be shooting 200 rounds of Gold Dot any time soon. ;)

Mark, where did you pick up the Gold Dot 223?