PDA

View Full Version : M.O.L.L.E. Plate Carrier

GLP Standard
05-12-09, 23:29
I'm looking into getting a MOLLE system plate carrier, and was wondering what people recommended for a bigger guy? I'm 6'3", 260lbs with a size 38-40 waist (some excess baggage)

Ive tried this on before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKWATER-DIGITAL-ARMOR-SAPI-PLATE-CARRIER-MOLLE-VEST_W0QQitemZ150341481797QQcmdZViewItem

...and I really liked it, but unfortunately Blackwater gear discontinued that item, and they are all sold out of the black, so that isnt an option anymore. What would you guys recommend that is similar to the vest in the link that I can get in black, that offers a full range of adjust ability for a bigger guy?

GLP Standard
05-12-09, 23:32
Also, if you can post pictures of your rig to show how you have them set up, that would be great. Im looking into getting a handcuff/flashlight pouch, 3 AR15 mag pouch, 2 pistol mag pouch and a radio holder

GLP Standard
05-13-09, 18:10
No one? :confused:

joe138
05-13-09, 18:41
Look at HSGI Wassatch. Plate carrier with built in mag pouches and molle webbing.

Bushytale
05-14-09, 05:12
GLP, The Blackwater Gear plate carrier you linked is available from Tactical-store.com in black for 79.99 with free shipping. I have bought from them before and they are gtg. The model number is 02610 for black. I just got the same carrier in khaki from a different source that is also out of black. It is very high quality designed by Crye Precision, made by Michaels of Oregon and tested by Blackwater training. A Marine sniper, who used one in Iraq, recommended it to me as the most comfortable carrier he has worn. I have not used it yet as I am waiting for pouches to come in, but it has a padded inner layer and comes with nice heavy duty shoulder pads that wrap around the straps. It is covered with molle webbing front and back.

GLP Standard
05-14-09, 20:06
Ohh..I like that website regardless of the vest...thanks for posting that up. Ill definitely probably get the vest you mentioned on that website. Not exactly the same as the one I linked up to (mine only has one buckle on each side and its bigger) but very close, in fact I think the one you linked to is just a newer version of mine, which is why mine was discontinued. Thank you for posting that up. Do you recommend that vest for a bigger guy like me?

Bushytale
05-15-09, 05:26
I believe the single side strap/buckle version is the later one. The single strap is much larger (read heavy duty). I think that is what they would ship to you. I think the photo on their site is old. All Blackwater gear is out of production. It is unfortunate because they had some great designs and good quality. The plus side of the story is it can be had at very reduced prices.

GLP Standard
05-15-09, 20:00
I believe the single side strap/buckle version is the later one. The single strap is much larger (read heavy duty). I think that is what they would ship to you. I think the photo on their site is old. All Blackwater gear is out of production. It is unfortunate because they had some great designs and good quality. The plus side of the story is it can be had at very reduced prices.

I emailed the guy from that ebay ad to see if he had any of those vests in black, and he said no, and that they were out of production and out of stock of black, so it was impossible to even get that vest in black. Then he said he sold another vest similar (the one you told me about) in black that was just as good if i was interested. So I was assuming by what he was saying that your vest was the newer model. However, the one that I saw in person and tried on (same as the ebay one, just in black) looked brand new, like it was never worn. Either way, I hope youre right, because thats the one I want. Not saying youre wrong or hes wrong, just a bit of confusion.

Theres no way to email Blackwater and ask them the low down on the situation, huh? Where theyre out of business (didnt know that, just thought that particular vest was discontinued) will I be able to purchase these vests for long, or will they pretty much be sold out quickly and forever?

Bushytale
05-16-09, 02:10
hard to say how many were produced, but most of the places that I have seen them are out of black. The other Blackwater vests on ebay in black are quite a bit different, as both use a zipper. One has the zipper down the front in the middle like a regular tactical vest and the pouches are built in so you can not remove or move them around. The other one has a zipper at about the 2 o'clock position for quick removal and is also covered with the molle webbing. I don't think either of those choices are as rugged as the one I bought. If I was looking for black, I would buy it now!!!!

GLP Standard
05-16-09, 02:15
hard to say how many were produced, but most of the places that I have seen them are out of black. The other Blackwater vests on ebay in black are quite a bit different, as both use a zipper. One has the zipper down the front in the middle like a regular tactical vest and the pouches are built in so you can not remove or move them around. The other one has a zipper at about the 2 o'clock position for quick removal and is also covered with the molle webbing. I don't think either of those choices are as rugged as the one I bought. If I was looking for black, I would buy it now!!!!

Thanks that helps a lot. I think im going to order the one you told me about from that website further up in this thread. If I dont like it or it doesnt fit right, ill just sell it on here. Thanks a lot

Iraq Ninja
05-16-09, 03:53
Honestly, you don't want the BW plate carrier. It is nothing special, and yes they stopped making all their tactical kit.

There are much better carriers on the market, such as paraclete and eagle.

Also, black is a poor choice unless you like to make it easier for people to shoot at you.

abnartyguy
05-16-09, 15:48
This one works great for me and a couple of others that have picked it up...

http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/Paraclete_SOF_Hard_Plate_Carrier_p/sohpc.htm

:cool:

GLP Standard
05-22-09, 10:29
I received the BlackWater Gear Plate Carrier from www.tactical-store.com yesterday that bushytale told me to order. I looked and considered all the other ones that people mentioned, but they were way too much for my pocket right now, so I went with the BW one.

bushy: You were right, they did send me the one that I have seen in person (the one from the ebay link I posted). Im very pleased with this, as this is the one I wanted, and the 2 strap version didnt look like it would work as well.

That being said, I have a couple questions.

1. As dumb as it sounds, how do you wear it? Dont state the obvious, Im not THAT retarded. I mean how should I adjust it? Im a pretty big guy as stated in my OP, and pretty tall as well. The way this vest is set up, I can either adjust the shoulder straps so that it starts around my waist around where the top of my duty belt will sit, but then it only goes up around 6" below my neckline, leaving all that area exposed. Also, because of my fairly large waist:chest size ratio, it tends to ride up more if I have it that low. If I choose to have it sit higher, I can have it where I think it should be (at the top a few inches below my neck line, right where my shirt would sit or a little lower) but then the bottom is like 6" or so above where my belt would sit. This doesnt look right to me (I know, its not for looks) but it has less of a likelihood to ride up. Is this normal for it to not cover the stomach as well, or is it just made for smaller people? To be honest, I cant afford plates right now, so I basically just bought it for the MOLLE pouches I can put on it. Ill buy plates someday, but at around $400 theyll have to wait.

2. I have it adjusted to sit kind of tight around my stomach. Is this how it should be, or should I leave it a little loose? As stated in my first question, it likes to ride up quite a bit. Is this normal, or is there anything I can do about it?

3. It seems very uncomfortable. I think if I could get it to fit to my body snugly so it didnt ride up, it would be a lot more comfortable. Am I just not wearing it right, or is it something that takes some getting used to?

GLP Standard
05-23-09, 17:44
No one cares to show any insight on this?

msap
05-24-09, 23:17
Bro, your plates should ride high over your chest not your stomach. My front plate on my Eagle PC sits about even with my collar bone. As far as comfort, well that has alot to do with your carrier and even the curve of your plates triple curved plates are nice because they are better fitted to your body. They do take getting used to as well, body armor is not comfortable.

Iraq Ninja
05-25-09, 07:39
MSAP is correct. Wear it high and off the stomach. Protect the heart.

Well, a plate carrier is designed to hold plates. Until you get some plates, it is difficult to comment on something that is being used in a way other than its intended purpose.

:)

It is like complaining about a sling before you have a rifle to put it on.

Plates do make it more bearable as a load bearing device do to the rigidity.

GLP Standard
05-26-09, 01:11
Thank you gentleman. You've answered all my questions