PDA

View Full Version : so what's ruger cooking up as its next "new" thing? release on 5/15/09

30 cal slut
05-13-09, 11:58
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/index.html

i guess everybody's expecting an AR clone.

if so, wonder how off-milspec it's gonna be.

if it's anything like the mini-14 :rolleyes: , i'll pass.

jcase64
05-13-09, 12:33
whatever it is, $10 says its polymer and another $10 there will be a recall

pacifico
05-13-09, 13:05
Wild guess:

It'll be an AR clone available only in .223 (not 5.56) that does not accept non-Ruger upper receivers, buttstocks, or fire control parts.

That or a 1911 clone with similar proprietary parts.

dirksterg30
05-13-09, 13:37
Whatever it is, I don't think I'll be interested.

MarshallDodge
05-13-09, 13:41
My guess is a 1911 that rivals something from Para-Ordnance.

Going4Broke
05-13-09, 13:44

Thats probably what I would put my on also.

Nathan_Bell
05-13-09, 13:46
My guess is a 1911 that rivals something from Vulcan.

FIFY :p

5pins
05-13-09, 14:18
The announcement of the LCR recall.

jrainer
05-13-09, 14:22
At the very least I'll be interested because it gives me just one more thing to read up on while at work:)

LonghunterCO
05-13-09, 14:23

So a soon to be recalled polymer Mini-14?...with 10 round mags.

SoDak
05-13-09, 14:26
I'm hoping for an ar-15 with a monolithic upper where instead of picatinny rail, they'll use their proprietary scope base notches to go with the exclusive ruger accessories;). Actually now that I think about it, if it weren't for compatability issues, that ruger's scope base system would be kind of neat on a rail.

mattjmcd
05-13-09, 15:23

Can't... stop... chuckling:D

1859sharps
05-13-09, 23:58
Putting the recall updates notices for two of your newest products on the same page as the teaser for your next new product.... pure marketing genius :D

jrainer
05-14-09, 13:09
Putting the recall updates notices for two of your newest products on the same page as the teaser for your next new product.... pure marketing genius :D

My thoughts exactly:D

EzGoingKev
05-14-09, 13:59
Ruger is going to announce their new SCAR like rifle that is light and kick ass BUT will have a 5 round non-detachable magazine.

Kimbo
05-14-09, 17:02
My guess is AR 15 as well, definitely won't be anything to special either...

rubberneck
05-14-09, 17:15
An AR chambered only in .204 Ruger with wood furniture to make it less like and AR and more like a bolt gun.

texag
05-14-09, 17:32
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3539/3528289717_f597c358e1.jpg?v=0

Saw this on another forum, looks like it'll be a piston AR.

dmanflynn
05-14-09, 21:15
So a soon to be recalled polymer Mini-14?...with 10 round mags.
Havent you heard? Thats the new replacement for the AR weapons system! I mean 10 rounds! Amazing! Plus you get to send it back to ruger and get a new one every month! Sign me up!!!:D

Jay Cunningham
05-14-09, 21:32

*Another* piston AR??

rubberneck
05-14-09, 22:16
*Another* piston AR??

More options is always better then less when it comes to being a consumer.

SoDak
05-14-09, 22:31
*Another* piston AR??

Maybe we could "hope" that ruger made some other mods to the concept of the piston ar and that they ended up with something worthwhile.

Thomas M-4
05-14-09, 22:38

As far as I am concerned that settles the DI vs Piston argument:D

Gentoo
05-14-09, 23:36

rofl

:D

Jay Cunningham
05-15-09, 04:34

Yea, I have read this phrase quite a bit in regards to some gun company making yet another ill-advised business decision. But hey - I hope Ruger pulls it off!

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 06:49
a bit late to the game, IMO.

K.L. Davis
05-15-09, 07:26

That's the rumor...

John_Wayne777
05-15-09, 07:47
I think I'll go home tonight and hug my 6920.

Robb Jensen
05-15-09, 07:56
That's the rumor...

Supposedly w/QD barrels....

shooter521
05-15-09, 08:05
Supposedly w/QD barrels....

It will be called the SR556, and is supposed to be piston driven, with a quick-change barrel, quad rail forearm and folding iron sights. This info from a dealer on a local board I belong to. The name is also confirmed by this snippet, published in Purdue University Calumet's "Summary of Faculty Productivity" for 2008:

Higley, J. B., A First Evaluation of the SR556, an internal, confidential report evaluating a product design for Sturm, Ruger, Inc., Newport NH., July 2008.

We'll know for sure in a few hours...

Oscar 319
05-15-09, 08:16
3 hours, 55 minutes! God, the suspense is killing me. ;)

C4IGrant
05-15-09, 08:40

Not if they are not reliable.

C4

rubberneck
05-15-09, 08:47
Not if they are not reliable.

C4

I remember people here expressing the same concerns about Charles Daly making AR's. I hope you guys don't mind if I wait to see how the product turns out before dismissing it out of hand. FWIW even if it sucks it will take some of the demand away from the "tier one" manufacturers which is a win in my book.

C4IGrant
05-15-09, 08:55
I remember people here expressing the same concerns about Charles Daly making AR's. I hope you guys don't mind if I wait to see how the product turns out before dismissing it out of hand. FWIW even if it sucks it will take some of the demand away from the "tier one" manufacturers which is a win in my book.

Ah, ya see I had ZERO concerns with CD as I was talking with them about what they were doing. So I knew that they were putting out a good product. ;)

Ruger on the other hand has ZERO knowledge on AR's and has a long track record of putting out crap or things that need to be re-called.

Couple that with the fact that VERY few of the piston guns currently available that are quality/reliable. Hell, I personally do not believe that a piston should even be shoe horned into an AR15!

C4

rubberneck
05-15-09, 09:07
I have a friend that owns a gun shop who stocks Saber, DPMS and Bushmaster. He only sells the Saber rifles when he doesn't have any Bushmasters or DPMS in stock. Most AR buyers are completely unlike the people that post here or your typical customer. Even if the Ruger turns out to be a pig, if it draws the casual buyer away from the Colt's, LMT's and the Saber's of the world it is a win in my book.

Just because Ruger didn't consult you it doesn't mean that they didn't do their homework as I am sure that there are number of people who are as intimate with the platform as you are.;)

Sam
05-15-09, 09:09
They're purchasing the rights to produce the Masada ! :D Using that shiny AR like BCG.

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 09:13
Ah, ya see I had ZERO concerns with CD as I was talking with them about what they were doing. So I knew that they were putting out a good product. ;)

Ruger on the other hand has ZERO knowledge on AR's and has a long track record of putting out crap or things that need to be re-called.

Couple that with the fact that VERY few of the piston guns currently available that are quality/reliable. Hell, I personally do not believe that a piston should even be shoe horned into an AR15!

C4

Ruger makes decent revolvers and decent lower end hunting rifles they need to stick with what they know +1 on shoe horning a piston into an AR

CarlosDJackal
05-15-09, 09:14

Dude, you live and work in a College town!! Shouldn't you be trying to hug one of them hot young coeds instead? :eek:

Sorry, man. I just couldn't help myself. :D

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 09:18

can i come over and make it a threesome? :cool:

C4IGrant
05-15-09, 09:24
I have a friend that owns a gun shop who stocks Saber, DPMS and Bushmaster. He only sells the Saber rifles when he doesn't have any Bushmasters or DPMS in stock. Most AR buyers are completely unlike the people that post here or your typical customer. Even if the Ruger turns out to be a pig, if it draws the casual buyer away from the Colt's, LMT's and the Saber's of the world it is a win in my book.

Just because Ruger didn't consult you it doesn't mean that they didn't do their homework as I am sure that there are number of people who are as intimate with the platform as you are.;)

We want as MANY QUALITY AR's are possible. There are already tons of crap ones. So this is why we want to see quality.

As someone that works in this industry and consults to several LARGE AR manufacturers, I can ASSURE YOU that Ruger has no clue about building an AR.

Yes, there are a lot of skilled AR people in this industry. Very few to ANY work for the major manufacturers (FYI). I think people would be SHOCKED to have heard some of the conversations I have had with company engineers. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
05-15-09, 09:26
Ruger makes decent revolvers and decent lower end hunting rifles they need to stick with what they know +1 on shoe horning a piston into an AR

They also make the best .22 on the market (both pistol and rifle).

C4

markm
05-15-09, 09:27

Yep! Ruger seems to want a piece of that Kel Tec Shit gun market. It's a good business decision...

Dumb asses like to buy junk for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

mrwickwire
05-15-09, 09:30
I am actually quite interested. Despite the recalls, they have been offering innovative products.

It will probably be an AR or a 1911.

What would be cool is if it was something no one has even imagined. But, unlikely.

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 09:33

C4

Yea your right I forgot there 22s are really good.

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 10:28
oh boy. we find out in exactly one hour, forty minutes and 30 seconds from now.

dmanflynn
05-15-09, 10:56
Only one hour twelve minutes and one second now:D

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 10:59
They also make the most frustrating to take down .22 pistol on the market.

C4

fixed it for ya Grant. :p

Cohibra45
05-15-09, 10:59
There seems to be a lot of people here that don't appreciate what Ruger has done for the firearms industry in general. While I don't think all Ruger products are of the Colt and S&W (pistols), Winchester and Remington (rifles) quality, they are mostly built to last several lifetimes. Sure their manufacturing processes are (or were) vastly different from companies of the past, now they are cutting edge. Ruger was the company that brought investment casting to the forefront and with it lower costs without sacrificing strength. Yes, their products are a bit heavier, but they are very much stronger when shooting very heavy loads.

We have to remember that when they started back in the 50's, they brought out a couple products (22 pistol and Blackhawk revolvers) that not only competed head to head with Colt and Browning (22 pistols) and Colt revolvers in fit and function, but cost significantly less. When I turned 16 back in 1968, my dad took me to the gun shop in Hickory for my first handgun. I wanted a 22 as my hunting friend and buddy had a H&R 22 (9 shot)revolver that we use to knock around with. When we got to the gun shop, I looked in the case and noticed that he had the Colt Woodsman target model, the Browning Buckmaster, and the Ruger. The Colt had a price of $100, the Browning was $85, and the Ruger was $70. Long story short, I ended up with the Colt (Colt holster included for $100 out the door), but the Ruger was still a very good bargain.

When I would go to Charlie's Baitshop in Conover, they would always have a very good selection of guns and Rugers would be right there with the others, but at a reduced cost to the consumer. They worked and shot just as well as the others, sometimes better, sometimes not, but they did work.

A few years later, they brought out their Mini-14. It was a neat looking little rifle and a friend of mine got one and we shot the heck out of it. No, it wasn't a 'bench rest' accurate rifle, but would keep all the shots in a 4" circle at 100yds which was great for plinking. I never considered the 223 as anything more than a varmint round (yes it was used in the military, but at the time a lot of friends coming back from Vietnam said it was ok but liked the larger caliber M-14 better......personal choice of course), but it was fun to shoot and looked great. The Colt AR at the time was to me, not something I was interested in. I liked to hunt and shoot traditional rifles.

Anyway, back then, Ruger produced good stout products for a good price. You really had to want to get the Smiths or Colts because the Rugers were just as rugged and cost a whole lot less and you didn't get that much more when you went with the others.............just names and prettier bluing.

Now fast forward to a few years ago when Bill Ruger made the statements about his products and the AWB and putting them out for us regular people. I thought that Bill had made a mistake, but that was his company and his decision. I respect that. Just as I respect Randy Barrett for doing and saying what he has concerning his products and California. We have to remember that Smith and Wesson also made very bad business decisions concerning dealings with the Clinton's. It almost cost them their business, but they understood their mistakes and changed direction. Ruger has since changed it's direction and now supports our 2nd Amendment rights. Yes, they have had a couple products of late that have come to market and had recalls, but so have Walther and others. I don't see or hear too much bad talk about other companies that have recalls......as a matter of fact, I see and hear praise that the companies are being up front and concerned with their products so much so that they issue those recalls as soon as possible. They don't balance the cost of people getting hurt vs how much the recall costs....they just do it. I believe that our firearms industry (in general) is very much interested in our safety and the safety of their products. It is only to their benefit to do so.

If the decision of Ruger to bring out a AR product (piston or otherwise) or another 1911, the community should support them. They are an American company and not only that, they stand behind their products. You can be sure that whatever they make, it will be robust. Another thing (and it is an extremely big thing) is that it will be priced right for many Americans!!! We are in trouble as a country and the more affordable the AR the more people will buy them. It just helps everyone as it makes it more and more common for the 'average' person to actually have one of these. Remember the wording in the Heller decision, ......'commonly in use'!!! It only helps make the AR more and more acceptable to the general public and that only helps all the gun community.

If it is a piston AR, I for one am all for it. I have a LMT Piston rifle and am very pleased with it. There are others here that have other piston ARs from other companies and are just as pleased as I am. I don't have much confidence with the various 'kits' but, if that is what you want, then go for it. People just have to remember that when buying a 'kit' they are responsible for the installation and therefore function of said 'kit'. When purchasing a piston AR from respected company such as LMT, LWRCI, Barrett, POF, and even Bushmaster, they are responsible for their products and back them up with warranties!!! If it doesn't work, then you have a recourse and can send it back or get your money back legally.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me and that is what makes the world go round. I do however expect everyone to at least take a moment and consider what I wrote. I'm not the most articulate person and do have trouble communicating my thoughts, but I try. So if you have some objections to my wording, please understand that it is the general thought that I am trying to convey.

We as a firearms supporting, right to bear arms, freedom loving Americans need to take a step back and maybe look at this in a bigger picture!!! I guess that in the end that's all I really needed to say!!!:o

dmanflynn
05-15-09, 11:07
There seems to be a lot of people here that don't appreciate what Ruger has done for the firearms industry in general. While I don't think all Ruger products are of the Colt and S&W (pistols), Winchester and Remington (rifles) quality, they are mostly built to last several lifetimes. Sure their manufacturing processes are (or were) vastly different from companies of the past, now they are cutting edge. Ruger was the company that brought investment casting to the forefront and with it lower costs without sacrificing strength. Yes, their products are a bit heavier, but they are very much stronger when shooting very heavy loads.

We have to remember that when they started back in the 50's, they brought out a couple products (22 pistol and Blackhawk revolvers) that not only competed head to head with Colt and Browning (22 pistols) and Colt revolvers in fit and function, but cost significantly less. When I turned 16 back in 1968, my dad took me to the gun shop in Hickory for my first handgun. I wanted a 22 as my hunting friend and buddy had a H&R 22 (9 shot)revolver that we use to knock around with. When we got to the gun shop, I looked in the case and noticed that he had the Colt Woodsman target model, the Browning Buckmaster, and the Ruger. The Colt had a price of $100, the Browning was $85, and the Ruger was $70. Long story short, I ended up with the Colt (Colt holster included for $100 out the door), but the Ruger was still a very good bargain.

When I would go to Charlie's Baitshop in Conover, they would always have a very good selection of guns and Rugers would be right there with the others, but at a reduced cost to the consumer. They worked and shot just as well as the others, sometimes better, sometimes not, but they did work.

A few years later, they brought out their Mini-14. It was a neat looking little rifle and a friend of mine got one and we shot the heck out of it. No, it wasn't a 'bench rest' accurate rifle, but would keep all the shots in a 4" circle at 100yds which was great for plinking. I never considered the 223 as anything more than a varmint round (yes it was used in the military, but at the time a lot of friends coming back from Vietnam said it was ok but liked the larger caliber M-14 better......personal choice of course), but it was fun to shoot and looked great. The Colt AR at the time was to me, not something I was interested in. I liked to hunt and shoot traditional rifles.

Anyway, back then, Ruger produced good stout products for a good price. You really had to want to get the Smiths or Colts because the Rugers were just as rugged and cost a whole lot less and you didn't get that much more when you went with the others.............just names and prettier bluing.

Now fast forward to a few years ago when Bill Ruger made the statements about his products and the AWB and putting them out for us regular people. I thought that Bill had made a mistake, but that was his company and his decision. I respect that. Just as I respect Randy Barrett for doing and saying what he has concerning his products and California. We have to remember that Smith and Wesson also made very bad business decisions concerning dealings with the Clinton's. It almost cost them their business, but they understood their mistakes and changed direction. Ruger has since changed it's direction and now supports our 2nd Amendment rights. Yes, they have had a couple products of late that have come to market and had recalls, but so have Walther and others. I don't see or hear too much bad talk about other companies that have recalls......as a matter of fact, I see and hear praise that the companies are being up front and concerned with their products so much so that they issue those recalls as soon as possible. They don't balance the cost of people getting hurt vs how much the recall costs....they just do it. I believe that our firearms industry (in general) is very much interested in our safety and the safety of their products. It is only to their benefit to do so.

If the decision of Ruger to bring out a AR product (piston or otherwise) or another 1911, the community should support them. They are an American company and not only that, they stand behind their products. You can be sure that whatever they make, it will be robust. Another thing (and it is an extremely big thing) is that it will be priced right for many Americans!!! We are in trouble as a country and the more affordable the AR the more people will buy them. It just helps everyone as it makes it more and more common for the 'average' person to actually have one of these. Remember the wording in the Heller decision, ......'commonly in use'!!! It only helps make the AR more and more acceptable to the general public and that only helps all the gun community.

If it is a piston AR, I for one am all for it. I have a LMT Piston rifle and am very pleased with it. There are others here that have other piston ARs from other companies and are just as pleased as I am. I don't have much confidence with the various 'kits' but, if that is what you want, then go for it. People just have to remember that when buying a 'kit' they are responsible for the installation and therefore function of said 'kit'. When purchasing a piston AR from respected company such as LMT, LWRCI, Barrett, POF, and even Bushmaster, they are responsible for their products and back them up with warranties!!! If it doesn't work, then you have a recourse and can send it back or get your money back legally.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me and that is what makes the world go round. I do however expect everyone to at least take a moment and consider what I wrote. I'm not the most articulate person and do have trouble communicating my thoughts, but I try. So if you have some objections to my wording, please understand that it is the general thought that I am trying to convey.

We as a firearms supporting, right to bear arms, freedom loving Americans need to take a step back and maybe look at this in a bigger picture!!! I guess that in the end that's all I really needed to say!!!:o

Speaking for the reliability of em, i have a older ruger P89-DC. The DC denoting De-cock only (no safety), and its older than i am and it still shoots pretty darn good. I know im not too old and neither is the gun, its not like its an antique but you gotta think that it was only a $300-$350 gun at the time and its lasted this long

Iraqgunz
05-15-09, 11:10
Only 1 hour, 2 minutes and 10 seconds to go. If it is an AR maybe Ruger will shock and awe the firearms community by releasing another quality AR. I am not holding my breath though.

On the other hand it could be a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Nathan_Bell
05-15-09, 11:20

My main issue with Ruger is their barrels. I have never seen a Ruger centerfire rifle that will shoot for shit when warmed up.
Neighbor has a 77 in 7mm that is a true one hole rifle, for three rounds, after that it is a 2 1/2" rifle. I have seen this time and again. .223-.338wm good while nice and cool and then get unhinged PDQ when any heat is put to them.

LOKNLOD
05-15-09, 11:28
From other thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31110):

Well here we have it. I am curious to see the overall quality.
On the surface they appear to be using good components.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u321/definc/ruger556.jpg

Looks better than I expected?

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 11:29
On the other hand it could be a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

well, if magpul was making the battery modules, i'd be all over it.

randolph
05-15-09, 11:43
for $2k bucks :eek:

question is, how much are they making inhouse, how much are they buying and sticking on ?

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 11:45
My main issue with Ruger is their barrels. I have never seen a Ruger centerfire rifle that will shoot for shit when warmed up.
Neighbor has a 77 in 7mm that is a true one hole rifle, for three rounds, after that it is a 2 1/2" rifle. I have seen this time and again. .223-.338wm good while nice and cool and then get unhinged PDQ when any heat is put to them.

I have had that same rifle same caliber 10 years ago it was a good hunting rifle and it would stack 3 shots in the same hole with hornady ammo it did open up a little mine didnt open to 2 1/2'' more like 1'' maybe 1 1/2'' when it got hot. But I never seen a deer take more than 1 shot of 7mm mag if you put the hole were its supposed to go. There is more choices for good low budget beginners hunting rifles know days Tikka T3 for one. Just wish they would spend more money and time with the product line that they have PC9 carbine good example why couldn't they make it to take glock g-17 mags there 22s are great as Grant pointed out and I forgot about. Owned 2 10/22 both were great one day plan to pick up a 22 pistol. I have come close to purchasing 2 1/4 sp101 on more than one occasion but keep feeling an urge for a 1911 to many toys to buy not enough cash for all of it :(

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 11:47
From other thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31110):

Looks better than I expected?

WOW better than I expected 2+

30 cal slut
05-15-09, 11:51
modestly impressed.

TY44934
05-15-09, 11:58
Thoughtful response. Couple of more thoughts.

Now fast forward to a few years ago when Bill Ruger made the statements about his products and the AWB and putting them out for us regular people. I thought that Bill had made a mistake, but that was his company and his decision. I respect that.

I do NOT respect his opinion. At all. I do respect his right to have & voice his opinion that "simple civilians do not need magazines holding more than 10 rounds" (that is what he testified to).

Just as I respect Randy Barrett for doing and saying what he has concerning his products and California. We have to remember that Smith and Wesson also made very bad business decisions concerning dealings with the Clinton's. It almost cost them their business, but they understood their mistakes and changed direction. Ruger has since changed it's direction and now supports our 2nd Amendment rights. Yes, they have had a couple products of late that have come to market and had recalls, but so have Walther and others. I don't see or hear too much bad talk about other companies that have recalls......as a matter of fact, I see and hear praise that the companies are being up front and concerned with their products so much so that they issue those recalls as soon as possible. They don't balance the cost of people getting hurt vs how much the recall costs....they just do it. I believe that our firearms industry (in general) is very much interested in our safety and the safety of their products. It is only to their benefit to do so. . . . It just helps everyone as it makes it more and more common for the 'average' person to actually have one of these. Remember the wording in the Heller decision, ......'commonly in use'!!! It only helps make the AR more and more acceptable to the general public and that only helps all the gun community.

I agree with you in general, and think we should give the NEW Ruger a fair hearing - for different reasons.

Bill Ruger is dead. It appears that many of his twisted ideas and corporate policies died with him. What ideas and policies?

-Bill fundamentally mis-understood the 2nd Amendment, as it has been defined by Heller.

-Bill also failed to appreciate the 2nd's implicit right to self defense, and as policy he did not pursue civilian-oriented CCW handguns to the extent that S&W or Colt had done.

-As a further example of Bill's failure to appreciate our individual freedoms, Bill hated motorcycles and tried to ban Ruger employees from riding a motorcycle to work (should an employer be allowed to dictate what you shoose to ride??).

But again, that is ALL in the past. For example:

-Ruger now sells 20 & 30 round magazines to "simple civilians."

-Ruger recently introduced 2 to 3 outstanding CCW handguns for civilians.

-Ruger backs up their products with warranty work (though they will trash your gunsmithed trigger & replace it with a factory part - though most companies do that).

-Ruger still supports the NRA, and with Bill's passing, they are no longer pushing the NRA towards accepting an AWB.

I'd buy a Ruger today. But Bill's anti-2nd Amendment actions in the past cannot be defended.

kry226
05-15-09, 12:02
Less than ten to go...

TOrrock
05-15-09, 12:02
As I said in the other thread.....the more traditionally Fudd coompanies like Remington and Ruger that start turning out an AR type rifle, the better.

TY44934
05-15-09, 12:04
Cold hammer-forged barrel? That is certainly 100% Ruger. As for the upper and lower, Ruger owns a steel and aluminum forging and casting facility. Why on earth would they sub-contract out that work?

I can't see any reason why they would not produce, at a minimum, the barrel, upper, lower, and buffer tube in house.

question is, how much are they making inhouse, how much are they buying and sticking on ?

CarlosDJackal
05-15-09, 12:04

No freaking way I'd buy that for $2k!! I'd rather get something more proven and reliable. They must on drugs. :eek:

But I gotta hand it to them. They certainly have been forging ahead since Bill Ruger, Sr. passed away (in a lot of areas).

TY44934
05-15-09, 12:07
MSRP is a little high; street price will have to be lower.

BUT, you ain't getting a hammer-forged AR barrel & a piston for cheap from anyone (the 416 uses one - good luck finding one of those for under 2K for the upper alone).

No freaking way I'd buy that for $2k!! I'd rather get something more proven and reliable. They must on drugs. :eek:

decodeddiesel
05-15-09, 12:23
I must admit, I was skeptical at first but after more careful reading color me impressed. Yeah $2k is a bit much, but really not that bad. I am pretty impressed how this rifle embraces much of the accepted standards in the AR world (Troy Sights, Troy Rail, P-mags). Assuming it passes the long term durability test I think they may have a winner on their hands here.

hp35
05-15-09, 12:23
Why a chrome plated BCG on a piston gun? Whatever the increased cost it doesn't look that cool.

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 12:27
There is a new thread on AR-general discussion for the SR-556

kry226
05-15-09, 12:30
Looks like they've done some market research and know they have to use some quality parts (Magpul, Troy) to even get our attention. But I think the premium they're asking, although street price is likely to be lower, is audacious to say the least. They're the new kid on the block (in the AR platform) and have a lot to prove. If anyone's looking for a piston gun with $2K to blow, ain't gonna be dropping it on an unproven Ruger.

I think they've gotten the initial attention they were looking for, but the rest of the gun has to stand up to the scrutiny. I hope it's a good, quality gun, as we'll all benefit from the healthy competition. We shall see.

Nathan_Bell
05-15-09, 12:32
I have had that same rifle same caliber 10 years ago it was a good hunting rifle and it would stack 3 shots in the same hole with hornady ammo it did open up a little mine didnt open to 2 1/2'' more like 1'' maybe 1 1/2'' when it got hot. But I never seen a deer take more than 1 shot of 7mm mag if you put the hole were its supposed to go. There is more choices for good low budget beginners hunting rifles know days Tikka T3 for one. Just wish they would spend more money and time with the product line that they have PC9 carbine good example why couldn't they make it to take glock g-17 mags there 22s are great as Grant pointed out and I forgot about. Owned 2 10/22 both were great one day plan to pick up a 22 pistol. I have come close to purchasing 2 1/4 sp101 on more than one occasion but keep feeling an urge for a 1911 to many toys to buy not enough cash for all of it :(

All of their barrels exhibit this behavior though. So why would they get it right on an AR which you will be shooting mroe than 3 times a go?

Thomas M-4
05-15-09, 12:49
All of their barrels exhibit this behavior though. So why would they get it right on an AR which you will be shooting mroe than 3 times a go?

I am not a fan of gas pistons or the sr556 but they have just posted it uses 4150cmv, hammerforged, chromelined, and :rolleyes:1/9 twist barrel with 5.56 nato chamber. Unless ruger just bought a rotary hammer forged barrel machine I am guessing its some other company's barrel. Just guessing on this .

TY44934
05-15-09, 13:00

Not all of them.

Friend owned a 223 Ruger 77 LE - which is Ruger's Law Enforcement line which they INTEND to go to LE. He toped it with a Tasco 3x9 variable :confused:

That gun would shoot 1.5" groups at 200 yards all day long (when clean) - but here is the kicker: we were using the Malasian surplus 55 grn FMJ available in the 90s.

ErikL
05-15-09, 13:26

C4

agreed, And the the strongest large frame revolvers. The M77 is a very decent action as well. They just need to hire some decent QC and marketing people.

I'm actually impressed with what they have put together. Now to see how it runs.

Nathan_Bell
05-15-09, 14:09
Not all of them.

Friend owned a 223 Ruger 77 LE - which is Ruger's Law Enforcement line which they INTEND to go to LE. He toped it with a Tasco 3x9 variable :confused:

That gun would shoot 1.5" groups at 200 yards all day long (when clean) - but here is the kicker: we were using the Malasian surplus 55 grn FMJ available in the 90s.

Used too broad of a brush. An annoyingly high % of them show this behavior.

NinjaTactics
05-15-09, 14:48

question is, how much are they making inhouse, how much are they buying and sticking on ?They appear to make the barrel, the upper, and the lower. And even those may be from some place else like Cardinal Forge or Cerro Forge.

If you analyze this rifle, it's really not a bad deal per se, especially if the street price is a decent amount below the MSRP of $1995. You get:
- Piston driven system (costs more than DI)
- All chrome-plated internals
- Troy front and rear folding sights ($250 aftermarket)
- 3 PMAGs
- Troy 10" quad rail ($250 aftermarket)
- Troy/Hogue/Ruger furniture

If the Daniel Defense goes for $1550-1600 street price and is DI, and this is Gas Piston driven, this seems right on par. Although it probably would have been more appealing with all Magpul furniture (MIAD grip, MOE stock, rail covers, etc.), it seems like Ruger at least it using quality components and working with industry standard partners. They made a great decision in not using a lot of proprietary BS.

On a seperate note, it seems that many companies, including LMT, Magpul, CMMG, and Ruger, feel that Gas Piston is the future of the platform, so that's probably why they're not going with a DI system here.

m4fun
05-15-09, 15:02
Fudd it is. Step up for many Mall Ninjas - Ruger is a "name brand" although not in this arena, unless you count the Mini-14's combat role in the A-Team.

And piston no-less. Where is that mystereous Colt piston rifle? Ruger is right now up there with HK, LWRC, and...Bushmaster. :)

CarlosDJackal
05-16-09, 00:03
MSRP is a little high; street price will have to be lower.

BUT, you ain't getting a hammer-forged AR barrel & a piston for cheap from anyone (the 416 uses one - good luck finding one of those for under 2K for the upper alone).

Dude, it's a freaking Ruger!! I don't care if the barrel is gold-inlayed.

But I think you've got it backwards. The MSRP is $2k so chances are the street value will probably be double that the way things are going. The disgusting thing is people are moe than willing to pay these ridiculously inflated prices (thanks for the Gun Salesman of the Year :rolleyes:).