PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts or Opinions on the Steyr/Sabre USAUG

RyanS
05-13-09, 15:55
So, for anyone whose had a chance to work with the new AUG, have you developed any thoughts or opinions? My dealer got one in and has graciously agreed to hold it for me.....with a small down payment....and I was hoping to get some updates before I make a decision.

Ed L.
05-13-09, 21:27
Am testing one and have fired a few hundred rounds through it. So far so good. The charging handle seems a bit stiff to cock.

Dave L.
05-14-09, 10:02
I think the $2,500 price tag is a little crazy considering the STG556 is only between $1,500 and $1,700.

I'm sure the function and quality will be as good as a real AUG. I'm sure Sabre wont Sig this weapon.

texasyid
05-14-09, 22:00
I have one and spent about four hours with it at the range. I really like the platform. You do have to man up on the cocking handle but I think this will become smoother with use. I have a preban A1 and like the A3 a little better.

kmrtnsn
05-15-09, 00:06
I carried the AUG-P for a while, it broke me. The AUG will ruin you for all other rifles, especially if you are using it for entries. That huge AR cleaning kit you have, you won't need it anymore. The money spent on an AUG is money well spent.

RyanS
05-15-09, 09:39
I think the $2,500 price tag is a little crazy considering the STG556 is only between $1,500 and $1,700.

I'm sure the function and quality will be as good as a real AUG. I'm sure Sabre wont Sig this weapon.

It was the price that caused me to reconsider. Not saying that the price isn't justified. I've been wanting an AUG for a very long time, however that's too steep for me right now.

kmrtnsn
05-15-09, 16:37
Get the STG, for the price you get quite a lot. The case alone is worth a couple hundred bucks. You won't be dissapointed.

Ed L.
05-16-09, 17:35
1. Street pricing on the Steyr is more likely to be around $2200 or less.

2. Compare the two guns side by side and I think you will conclude that the Steyr is a higher quality gun than the MSAR.

3. Better yet, compare the two side by side and select the one that feels better to you.

RyanS
07-16-09, 16:28
I couldn't take it anymore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dissident74/IMG_4712.jpg

ITSTOCK
07-16-09, 20:12
First, I have ZERO shooting experience with it. I 100% intended on purchasing one. My first impressions of my local dealers are...

The machine marks are pathetic.

The stress marks in the polymer are horrible.

The trigger sucks.

The action is not smooth and insanely heavy.

However, the actual weight excluded, I thought that it was incredibly well balanced and comfortable to hold. The weight was a non-issue. If I dare say, it was more comfortable than any other gun that I have owned or used (including my FS2000).

I really couldn't get in to it, and I was proud of myself for walking out without it. I had the cash on me, but after the visual inspection alone, there was no way that I could have purchased this thing. It sucks because I really was excited about this rifle.

I'm a self-described MSAR hater, but I must say, I wouldn't pick the AUG over the MSAR after first impressions. I won't pick either. My dream has gone up in smoke. :(

JG1911
07-17-09, 00:13
Anyone know who the distributor for these things is? Saber doesn't even list them on their site.

SteyrAUG
07-17-09, 03:07

Actually this is a factory Steyr rifle being built at Sabre simply to satisfy dmoestic production. They are built using Steyr tooling brought from Austria by a bunch of dudes names Hans and Franz.

Steyr originally approached Microtech with the same deal when Pete Athens was involved with development of the MSAR. Because Microtech wouldn't have full control over the whole thing they passed. And of course when they felt they didn't need Pete anymore they put him out to pasture.

And not coincidentally that is when the quality of the MSAR dropped. The money you save on getting a MSAR vs. a AUG A3 is not money well saved. By the way if anyone wants a AUG A3 I'm still selling them for $2,400 so there's a $100 saved right there.

:D

SteyrAUG
07-17-09, 03:10
1. Street pricing on the Steyr is more likely to be around $2200 or less.

Ummmm no.

Problem is Steyr has taken a page from FNs book and to get ONE AUG A3 a dealer must buy THREE Steyr bolt rifles. As a result these are sorta a PITA to get.

SteyrAUG
07-17-09, 03:11
Anyone know who the distributor for these things is? Saber doesn't even list them on their site.

Steyr Arms.

There are no distributors. Steyr is the only one selling them, they are dealer direct ONLY and they have a goofy FN style dealer program to get the AUG.

Jay Cunningham
07-17-09, 04:17
SteyrAUG, please check your PM's.

RyanS
07-19-09, 21:23
So does anyone know what spare parts I should be getting and in what quantity?

I got a chance to run about 450 rounds through the rifle on Saturday and I really like how it handles. Very different from the AR. Only problems experienced resulted from attempting to charge the weapon using the bolt release. When so, it would fail to strip a round out of the magazine. After doing some research, it appears that this is traced to the US made AUG mags. I've got some Austrian mags coming from Pete Athens and will be contacting Steyr on Monday to replace the two mags that came with the rifle.

When I get this straightened out, I will post a more in depth range report and more detailed pics if anyone is interested.

SteyrAUG
07-19-09, 23:04
So does anyone know what spare parts I should be getting and in what quantity?

I got a chance to run about 450 rounds through the rifle on Saturday and I really like how it handles. Very different from the AR. Only problems experienced resulted from attempting to charge the weapon using the bolt release. When so, it would fail to strip a round out of the magazine. After doing some research, it appears that this is traced to the US made AUG mags. I've got some Austrian mags coming from Pete Athens and will be contacting Steyr on Monday to replace the two mags that came with the rifle.

When I get this straightened out, I will post a more in depth range report and more detailed pics if anyone is interested.

If you reach up and pull the charging handle back and let it fly will it load a round?

Kinda strange that Steyr mags made in the US on Steyr tooling won't work. Are they "Steyr marked" magazines? I'm wondering if some dealer didn't swap them out with MSARs or something.

RyanS
07-19-09, 23:39
No problems loading with the charging handle, only when using the bolt release. It appears that others have experienced the exact same problem using the mags that shipped with the rifle which are US made mags. The problem ceased when using Austrian manufactured mags.

RyanS
07-19-09, 23:46
And the mags are not marked but for a ten digit number on the right side and the round count numbers.

SteyrAUG
07-20-09, 00:28
And the mags are not marked but for a ten digit number on the right side and the round count numbers.

Interesting.

I wonder if Steyr subcontracted the mags. Not sure why they'd do that but I guess it's possible.

jagdkommando
07-21-09, 16:30
If you reach up and pull the charging handle back and let it fly will it load a round?

Kinda strange that Steyr mags made in the US on Steyr tooling won't work. Are they "Steyr marked" magazines? I'm wondering if some dealer didn't swap them out with MSARs or something.

I have heard a lot of ridiculous things things said about MSAR and our products but this one takes the cake. Is it just inconceivable that Steyr may have made a small mistake with the initial run of mags? I think if you look around on the gun boards you will find there are more than a few posts about the Steyr mags made in the US.

RyanS
07-21-09, 16:48
I have heard a lot of ridiculous things things said about MSAR and our products but this one takes the cake. Is it just inconceivable that Steyr may have made a small mistake with the initial run of mags? I think if you look around on the gun boards you will find there are more than a few posts about the Steyr mags made in the US.

I don't care who makes them, I just want mags that work.