PDA

View Full Version : muzzle strikes and safety activation in Smith and Wessons

Iraq Ninja
05-13-09, 17:27
I was recently discussing with a fellow contractor the virtues of the pistol as a striking weapon. He brought up the point that if you muzzle strike with a SW sigma or a MP and the barrel goes back far enough, the pistol will not fire due to one of the safeties being activated. You have to rack the slide to enable it to function.

I vaguely remembered something about this. Can anyone verify?

NCPatrolAR
05-13-09, 17:37
I havent heard anything about that. Sure he wasnt talking about simply pushing the gun out of battery?

Iraq Ninja
05-13-09, 17:43
No, we were specifically talking about the pistols going out of battery and how this may create issues. My only experience in muzzle striking organic lifeforms has been with the Glock and I never had any issues.

Thomas M-4
05-13-09, 18:54
The mag safety shouldnt move with the mag in place.
I dont have my M&P anymore so I cant check to be 100% sure
but the mag safety can be removed if there is an issue.

RWK
05-13-09, 19:21
I was recently discussing with a fellow contractor the virtues of the pistol as a striking weapon.

Hopefully you were discussing the lack of virtues as a striking weapon...

NCPatrolAR
05-13-09, 19:22
The mag safety shouldnt move with the mag in place.
I dont have my M&P anymore so I cant check to be 100% sure
but the mag safety can be removed if there is an issue.

Taking the gun out of battery didnt affect the mag safety on my duty gun (just tried it).

John_Wayne777
05-13-09, 19:22
I believe your friend is mistaken. The only way it won't go bang is if the slide is out of battery...so pistol whip without fear!

Joe R.
05-13-09, 19:33
JW is correct Ninja. The only issue you would have is the same as the Glock (or just about any auto loader), the gun will not function while out of battery. (Yea yea...I know all about the issue with Glocks going boom while not fully in battery...it shouldn't.)

Muzzle strikes and other methods of using a pitol or long gun as an impact weapon are exceptionally effective. Now for the liability line...DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDDIES. Obvoiusly these skills are frought with peril if not performed correctly.

Longhorn
05-13-09, 21:41
Wasn't this a "big deal" with Beretta 92s or 96s?

EDIT*

I'm not saying it is/was by anymeans. I think it was based off the stuff from Die Hard...something about removing the slide by taking it OOB by like 1/4" or so

Iraq Ninja
05-15-09, 16:33
Thanks for the input guys. I was a bit skeptical myself, but never worked with the S&W pistols.

I understand why many people might avoid the thought of using the pistol for striking weapon. It is not the normal use for such a weapon, but it may present itself as an valid option.

Back in 2004, I saw it used with effectiveness on non compliant Iraqi Shia militia (browning HP and CZ75s) who were trying to cause us trouble. Due to a large crowd in the area, shooting may have resulted in innocent Iraqi lives being lost.

Part of it is cultural. They fear the pistol more than the rifle because the pistol was a sign of authority and that you meant business. Beating someone with something other than your fists (sticks or shoes) also has strong meanings. But, shooting was out of the question at these times, and pistol punching was the more humane option at the time and under rather difficult circumstances that could have resulted in the pistols being wrestled away and used against us. Like shooting, pistol punching is a skill to say the least...

tango-papa
05-15-09, 16:45
...My only experience in muzzle striking organic lifeforms has been with the Glock and I never had any issues.

Love it!
You should send this to Glock and see if they'll make a bumper sticker, t-shirt and/or velcro patch for you.:D

WillBrink
05-15-09, 16:49
I was recently discussing with a fellow contractor the virtues of the pistol as a striking weapon. He brought up the point that if you muzzle strike with a SW sigma or a MP and the barrel goes back far enough, the pistol will not fire due to one of the safeties being activated. You have to rack the slide to enable it to function.

I vaguely remembered something about this. Can anyone verify?

Wouldn't that be a similar action for the gun as say doing a press check in terms of the slide going back partially? I have press checked an MnP and it had no impact on the guns ability to then shoot. Hope that helps? :cool: