PDA

View Full Version : Break my HK45... 15,000 rounds and counting.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-14-09, 19:41
Hey guys,

I have decided to quit posting stuff over at HKPRO for personal reasons. I have been shooting and documenting my use of an HK45 since they came on the market about a year and a half ago. Here is a link to my old thread (which had more than 100,000 views).

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70222

This gun has been run in several classes, including a Vicker's Tactical Low Light class and a Hackathorn Advanced pistol class. It has never failed me, and has never had any parts break or be replaced. My only modification has been to black out the rear sights (I prefer a single front dot).

The Obama scare/great Ammo crisis 09 has slowed my progress significantly--not to mention I have been shooting my 1911s a lot lately. I have switched to reloads which have lately consisted of 230 grain Ranier Lead Safes and Unique powder. I will be switching to titegroup soon. I have about 13,500 large pistol primers until the well runs dry.

After 4-5k
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/P1010067/web.jpg?ver=12322084240001

After 15k
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0858/web.jpg?ver=12423471820001

The only unsightly wear (I actually like finish wear) is the chewed up mag well.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0855_2/web.jpg?ver=12423472180001

I am going to try to go back to putting 200 rounds per week through the HK45. I also am going to try and think of some creative "stress tests."

forgiven
05-14-09, 22:54
Greg, I'm glad to see you will be continuing the thread here....

I have read your posts over on HKPro for quite some time and have learned a lot - I'm looking forward to the stress tests

Kyle E. Coyote
05-14-09, 23:45
Great to see this thread isn't going to dy off.

How's the fit and finish of the gun? No looseness in the trigger or mag release yet?

Mark71
05-15-09, 10:00
Hey Greg,
Thanks for continuing this thread over here. Like Kyle, I am also curious to hear how the gun the holding up. Compared to your P2000, the HK45 looks much better after 15k+ rounds. You must be babying it :p.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-15-09, 10:55
I am. The P2000 got tossed in the gravel, submerged in mud, cleaned in the sink with simple green, etc. Plus it got box after box of cheap steel cased ammo. The HK45 has gotten nothing but nice brass or aluminum cased ammo--and no gravel tossing!:D:D

redsox20
05-15-09, 11:24
just wondering are you going to put Heinie straight 8 sights on your HK45?

here's a link if you haven't seen them yet: http://www.heinie.com/hksights.php

Mike

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-15-09, 12:25
I don't think so. I am one of the few people satisfied with the stock sights (with the rears marked out). I don't carry the gun, but if I did, I would probably send the slide to tooltech and have a single tritium bulb put in the front sight.

VA_Dinger
05-17-09, 10:09
I made this a sticky a couple of days ago.

M4c is proud to be the new home of Greg's very interesting and informative thread.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-17-09, 19:09
Thanks Paul

Today ol' Erna got 200 more reloads. 230 grain Rainer leadsafes with the VERY last of my Unique Powder (5.5 grains). I kept pulling the handle on the Dillon until I got to a little over 250 rounds. I was going to run all of it through the HK but I shot some more through my 1911 for comparison.

Today wasn't very structured. My buddy Alan and I had the range to ourselves. I brought my M16/416 and my Colt with Ciener 22 kit. We both shot the AR conversion quite a bit. My limited stash of 223 made me a little less generous with the 416! Anyway, we mainly shot steel. I set up 4 steel spinners against the berm. I mostly shot at 25 feet. But shooting steel is so much fun it encourages you to move around to variable distances. Mainly, my shooting consisted of...

1. 25 feet draw and fire on four spinners as fast as I could while assuring a perfect hit.
2. 25 yards draw and fire as above.
3. Shooting on the move forward, backward and from side to side. I have gotten much more comfortable with this type of shooting thanks to my AA 22 Glock conversion.
4. Shooting AR at various distances with 22 conversion and transitioning to pistol.
5. A mixture of strong and weak hand shooting at 21-25 feet.

The HK45, as always ran without a hitch. I did manage to choke my Colt with a reload that hadn't quite been belled enough--allowing the jacket to bunch up. I presume this round also would have choked the HK45--but we will never know.

Here is the gun pile towards the end of the day, when I realized I hadn't taken any pictures...

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0864/web.jpg?ver=12426036620001

Here is my buddy Alan after a run with the Ol' Colt/Ciener 22.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0867/web.jpg?ver=12426036670001

After all this I broke out the 416 and ran 100 rounds of UMC through her (plus a little 855 to check zero). I shot a little prone, from one knee, etc. But mostly I let fly a few short burst of full auto. It is amazing how controllable that little fire-breather is.

This pic is old, but I love it too much to leave it out!

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0207/web.jpg?ver=12322077640001

JSandi
05-20-09, 15:39
The P2000 got tossed in the gravel, submerged in mud, cleaned in the sink with simple green, etc. Plus it got box after box of cheap steel cased ammo.

Geesh... remind me never to sell you anymore of my guns, oh my poor P2000 :(

:p

SPECTRE
05-20-09, 20:53
Great thread !!
I love my HK45:D

Shadow1198
05-24-09, 14:01
After all this I broke out the 416 and ran 100 rounds of UMC through her (plus a little 855 to check zero). I shot a little prone, from one knee, etc. But mostly I let fly a few short burst of full auto. It is amazing how controllable that little fire-breather is.

This pic is old, but I love it too much to leave it out!

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0207/web.jpg?ver=12322077640001

Nice setup! That 416 looks good. In fact, it looks so good that is EXACTLY how I would have mine setup if I could afford one. ;) Keep up the great work! It is always enjoyable reading about your torture tests.

Abraxas
05-24-09, 14:43
Is your P2000 still working?

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-24-09, 17:49
It is. I sold it to a guy from HKPRO that sends me updates from time to time.

Outlander Systems
05-24-09, 21:30
This is the greatest thread - EVER. I want to see you make this thing bleed CLP.

Awesome thread, broski.

loupav
05-31-09, 02:09
Your P2000 is fine! she's in my safe. I'm going to lend her out to some friends to see what they think of the LEM Trigger.

NoJoy
06-01-09, 00:07
Hey Greg glad to see your torture test continue with the HK 45! I think this forum will have some new members now to see how your doing. ;)

Sobriquet
06-02-09, 03:11
Glad to see you're still shooting her, Greg. How are the internals holding up on the HK45? Any pictures of her guts?

Are you rolling your own with the Rainer bullets? I've noticed Georgia Arms has been out of .45 for quite some time now. I'm down to probably 400 of .45. I've only been shooting 9mm.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-02-09, 22:39
Rolling my own! I have 12-13k large pistol primers left. Should get me to the end of the year.

Roy
06-03-09, 19:44
After reading this thread and a few like it.
I went to a shop i frequent and grabbed a Hk45 and 100 rds

WOW....

let me say that i am pretty die hard GLOCK.. I shot this gun extremly well. the accuracy rivaled that of my Springfield Armory Pro....

I think I see one of these in my future. I just cant get over the cost of mags...

Thanks for posting this

flyboy1788
06-07-09, 22:29
After reading this thread and a few like it.
I went to a shop i frequent and grabbed a Hk45 and 100 rds

WOW....

let me say that i am pretty die hard GLOCK.. I shot this gun extremly well. the accuracy rivaled that of my Springfield Armory Pro....

I think I see one of these in my future. I just cant get over the cost of mags...

Thanks for posting this

I wish I had the money to just go buy an HK45 on a whim:(. Anyone care to make a donation to my cause???:D

Roy
06-08-09, 00:04
Should prolly specify didn't buy just shot 1

Hhaha
Gotta pay off my new 6920

flyboy1788
06-08-09, 00:22
Should prolly specify didn't buy just shot 1

Hhaha
Gotta pay off my new 6920

Indeed:cool:... that makes me feel a little less poor/worthless. I have been pretty tapped out since I picked up an m&p 15. I thought I would just buy the gun and be done with it...but no, it needs to be fed ammo, and a lot of it, and pmags, and optics, and optics mounts, and the list of upgrades goes on and on, which is why I also have no money to buy a nice HK45:mad: O well, one day i will get one, just not any time soon.....

BSHNT2015
06-08-09, 13:26
Good read, I am in the process of obtaining one for use. Please continue the updates on the HK45.

BOSS
06-10-09, 17:59
I've rented/shot an HK45 and were it not for two issues, it would be on my short list of things to get. Overall, HK did alot of things right for a 10 rd. ergonomic DA/SA .45. But....

First- The ridges on the sides of the recess of the trigger groove on the lower side of the trigger guard. They annoy my trigger finger. I suppose if I dedicated myself to this pistol, I could probably get used to them. But those ridges rub my finger = no likely. If HK were to resolve this matter, it would move up my list quite a bit and probably put the HK45 in my top three. FWIW, the HK45c does not have the groove/ridges, but I like everthing else about the full size over the compact.

2nd is the price--they aint cheap. There's quality there no doubt, but at ~$1000+ new, there's lots of other nice things in the category with a few bucks to spare.

But nice write up. Wish I had the time & $$ to do as extensive testing myself.

BOSS

Kyle E. Coyote
06-17-09, 22:30
Any updates for us, Greg?

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-09, 11:44
Sorry dude! My little girl was just born so my project may end up on hiatus. I also may consider selling the gun at a DEEP DEEP discount to anyone who will keep up the project.

loupav
06-20-09, 12:11
Congrats dude! What's her name?

I'd take your HK45. But as you know gun laws work against me where I live. Good luck with the sale and hope she goes to a good home.

Happy early Father's day!

Outlander Systems
06-20-09, 12:29
Congratulations, good Sir.

I'd take the reigns from you, gladly. Only problem is that there is absolutely nowhere to get .45 ammunition around here. It's a serious and deep drought.

SPECTRE
06-20-09, 14:42
Are you selling because there's a problem with the pistol or some other reason ?

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-09, 15:19
There is no problem with the pistol. I am probably not going to sell it. It is just one of those "When exactly will I have the time to do this?" things.:D

Ed L.
06-20-09, 19:34
Sorry dude! I also may consider selling the gun at a DEEP DEEP discount to anyone who will keep up the project.

Don't ever say that! Not even in jest.

So you may not have time to shoot it for a while. I don't see that as a reason to sell anything unless you need the money or want to put the money into something else that you cannot otherwise fund.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-09, 20:12
Nah. I just feel guilty about not shooting it much lately. I was thinking it would be nice to pass it to someone who would shoot it and keep documenting the round count.

Kyle E. Coyote
06-20-09, 21:15
Well congratulations on being a dad! And happy early Father's Day!

Turnkey11
06-21-09, 00:27
Nah. I just feel guilty about not shooting it much lately. I was thinking it would be nice to pass it to someone who would shoot it and keep documenting the round count.

Do let me know if you do.:D Ive got a few cans of .45 brass ready to load up, havent been shooting .45 lately either.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-09, 17:45
I wish it was safe enough to mail around. It would be hilarious if we could pass the gun around for abuse across America.

sayword
06-22-09, 18:26
Greg,
I've recently just purchased my first HK which was of course the HK45 and I was reading most of your thread at HKPRO and I'm not sure if I missed something but my question is, have you ever had to change the barrel O-Ring and if so, approx. after how many rounds did you replace the O-Ring? I'm guessing you never have because you're trying to break the HK45. Since I'm not trying to break my HK45 and if you were to change it when would be your recommended amount of rounds I should go through before changing it?

Another question is I'm used to shooting my Glock 21 and I noticed that when I'm aiming down the sites of the HK45 it seems to hit the target a little below the sites, did you notice this on your HK45? I may just not be used to the way the HK45 shoots yet.

I appreciate all the time you put into your "Break my HK45" thread and I'm really liking the feel of this HK45 vs. my Glock 21. Hopefully I'm just not aiming properly rather than the gun not being sited properly from the factory.

Jake0331
06-22-09, 18:26
I really appreciate the post, Greg. Hats off.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-22-09, 19:53
Sayword,

Every HK I have every owned has had the POI exactly, exactly on top of the front sight at 15-25 yards. When I started shooting my 1911s and Glocks I cursed them for having such a high POI. However, they don't hit below the sights. I usually have to hold other guns a little low, almost bullseye style to hit dead center at 25 yards.

Also, I usually shoot higher with my Glocks (initially) because of the grip angle. No biggie--as it usually goes away after about 3 shots.

I have never replaced, nor seen any benefit from the o-ring. I suspect it adds a little pure mechanical accuracy when it is brand new, but I can't realize the benefit with my meager talents.

sayword
06-22-09, 20:27
Sayword,

Every HK I have every owned has had the POI exactly, exactly on top of the front sight at 15-25 yards. When I started shooting my 1911s and Glocks I cursed them for having such a high POI. However, they don't hit below the sights. I usually have to hold other guns a little low, almost bullseye style to hit dead center at 25 yards.

Also, I usually shoot higher with my Glocks (initially) because of the grip angle. No biggie--as it usually goes away after about 3 shots.

I have never replaced, nor seen any benefit from the o-ring. I suspect it adds a little pure mechanical accuracy when it is brand new, but I can't realize the benefit with my meager talents.

Thanks for the insight Greg...I'm going to shoot more this weekend and I hope it's just me not aiming properly...maybe that's what's throwing me off, the grip angle of my glock since I'm so used to it...I haven't really shot any other pistol but my glock so I really have nothing to compare it to...I'll have to keep that in mind...

I would've posted my O-Ring question at HKPRO but I'm still new over there too that I can't post yet, but thanks for your input and fast response on that as well...CHEERS!

dobe
07-03-09, 17:02
Every HK I have every owned has had the POI exactly, exactly on top of the front sight at 15-25 yards. When I started shooting my 1911s and Glocks I cursed them for having such a high POI. However, they don't hit below the sights. I usually have to hold other guns a little low
My P7M8's hit POI/POA as does my HK45. My P30 hits 6'Oclock at 25 yds. on a standard 25yd bull.

BSHNT2015
07-05-09, 17:36
Finally got the HK 45, I can't wait to shoot it, now to gather up some ammo and get range time with some friends in the next few weeks from now. I am not going to follow Greg's thread but provide some insights as to some of the issues raised here, ie-the POI vs POA, etc. Back to you guys later.

HK45
07-10-09, 10:30
Enjoy it. It's a hell of a pistol.

The only pistol in 30 years of shooting I like as much as the Hk 45 is the M&P.

loupav
07-26-09, 13:26
I remember once at the range I had my HK45 and some other dude had a M&P45. We traded ten rounds for ten rounds through each other's pistol.

The M&P is very nice. But the trigger sucked. At least from what I remember of it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-26-09, 20:01
Out of the box the 45 M&P has a wretched trigger. It can be easily fixed, I gather.

BSHNT2015
08-04-09, 13:33
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4937.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4951.jpg

I need ammo now :mad:

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-04-09, 17:09
That is one hell of a gun.

Mark71
08-04-09, 21:38
BSHNT2015,

Is the HK45 being used on duty? If so what holster are you using?

Thanks

BSHNT2015
08-07-09, 08:06
The HK 45 will be duty bound, currently running it with borrowed nylon gear until my gear and an ambi lever comes in. One thing that always drives me crazy is when HK builds a gun ambi everything but never offer the safety/hammer lever as an ambi. I am a L/H shooter so holsters and certain gears are a pain to get.

LockenLoad
09-13-09, 20:04
I wish the compact could hold a surefire 300,the rail on the compact leaves a little to be desired, our it's me operator error

LockenLoad
09-13-09, 20:06
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4937.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/IMG_4951.jpg

I need ammo now :mad:

got 10,000 rounds of .45 to bad your not close I would donate a thousand or 2 to ya

Gombey
09-21-09, 19:06
got 10,000 rounds of .45 to bad your not close I would donate a thousand or 2 to ya

Ahhh, this may not be the best first post for me to introduce myself on this site.....butta if you are in the giving mood I wouldn't mind taking some of those rounds off your hands :D

Gombey
09-21-09, 19:07
Oh and Greg, I know it's really late. But congrats on the little one :D

SOT364
01-24-10, 22:35
Gentlemen,

In a strange twist of events, as are common with me, I have acquired Greg's infamous HK45. I plan on continuing to keep a log to see how many rounds she will go. While I won't have the time or money to shoot as much as Greg, I will probably be putting more rounds through her at a time then he did.

I plan on using this as my duty gun (after I convert it to Variant 9 or LEM, still undecided on which one) and will be taking several high volume classes with it this year. I will post our progress in this thread.

DISCLAIMER: Due to the nature of the trade that I got this HK from Greg, if I ever decide to get rid of her, he will have first choice at buy back.

NoJoy
01-24-10, 22:46
Did Greg ever finish puting the rest of the 45 Super through that gun? I know he shot at least 25 rounds of it I sent him. (Buffalo Bore and Triton) If not, see if he will give you the other 25 rounds. I was looking forward to some velocity testing and accuracy of the Super. Plus if is a BLAST to shoot. ;)

harrydog
01-25-10, 14:31
Gentlemen,

In a strange twist of events, as are common with me, I have acquired Greg's infamous HK45. I plan on continuing to keep a log to see how many rounds she will go. While I won't have the time or money to shoot as much as Greg, I will probably be putting more rounds through her at a time then he did.

I plan on using this as my duty gun (after I convert it to Variant 9 or LEM, still undecided on which one) and will be taking several high volume classes with it this year. I will post our progress in this thread.

That's great news. Had Greg put any more rounds through it since his last update?
Is Variant 9 available? If so, that's what I'm switching to.
Looking forward to your progress reports.

SOT364
01-25-10, 14:55
Don't know if Greg still has the Super ammo, but I'll see him this coming weekend and ask him to bring it if he can. There is still remarkably little wear for the amount of rounds he has put through her.

I *think* that they do have the variant 9 now, but am not certain. I did order the LEM module direct from HK today and hopefully will have that installed sometime this week. As an aside, HK's customer service was better than expected. They were very polite and helpful, a nice surprise considering their infamous internet reputation.

Also, have on order a Safariland SLS duty rig and a DG-19 switch for the X300. (The DG-19 is for the USP, but is supposed to work for the HK45 as well.) Now it is off to the range to see what the new duty load will be. I have narrowed it down to 230 gr standard pressure in either Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger Talon, or Federal HST. I'll shoot for accuracy, velocity, and split times to get a a basic idea. When I decide on the load, and once the LEM gets in, I will start on reliability testing with said round.

SOT364
01-26-10, 00:10
200 rounds through it in this session. 50 each of Gold Dot, HST, Ranger Talon, and White Box JHP. The HST will be it's new duty round due to it's accuracy, low flash signature, availability at a reasonable price, and a decent quantity I have on hand. Reliability is still as expected. Accuracy is still phenomenal.

Having shot a Glock in some form of 9mm for a year, I will have to get use to the recoil impulse of a by God 45 again. I shot the plate rack at 40 yards using my X300 (it was well past sun down when I finally made it to the range), POST Q targets at 25, and some NSR's and Mozambique drills (from the holster-Raven) at 5 and 7 yards. Next time out will be after the LEM is installed and I am bringing the timer as I am curious what my splits will be with the 45 and the LEM.

Gombey
01-26-10, 13:21
Gentlemen,

This is great news!! This is the thread that brought me over to m4carbine!!! :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-26-10, 18:13
I still have the Super Ammo! I will give it to Shane to chronograph.

NoJoy
01-26-10, 22:14
Good to hear! :cool:

SOT364
01-28-10, 21:33
100 rounds of Winchester white box JHP last night.
50 rounds of Geco ball and 50 rounds of 230 gr HST tonight.

LEM installed this afternoon. Only the frame was detailed stripped, but there was amazingly little finish wear on the internals for the amount of rounds that has been put through this gun. There was also very little carbon/sludge build up. Pictures were taken and I'll get around to posting them first of next week.

I really like the LEM in this gun. It is the factory standard weight and is really smooth. No grit or sloppiness to speak of. Smooth initial press, clear reset, and let off. It has been a few years since I shot the LEM, but I think this one will grow on me. I found myself shooting low at 25 yards, and high at 5. When I slowed down and concentrated on the fundamentals they cut one ragged hole at 5, and a decent group at 25. All the shooting was done with the X300 mounted tonight as it was dark when I got to the range.

Greg is coming over on Sunday and we'll get his take on the LEM in the HK45. Plan on chronoing the Super loads and doing some prone work from 100 yards to get a feel for the accuracy at that distance. Gomez is sending me down some old super hot Triton loads in the near future and I'll get the data on them posted as well.

newyork
02-01-10, 13:59
was it easy to install the LEM? Was it your 1st LEM install? I'm thinking of doing this to my hk45 as well.

SOT364
02-01-10, 14:34
newyork, check your pm's.

HK-91
02-02-10, 23:26
Yeah considering the price of ammo, I wouldn't even think of trying to break mine...

HK45
02-10-10, 13:54
I don't think so. I am one of the few people satisfied with the stock sights (with the rears marked out). I don't carry the gun, but if I did, I would probably send the slide to tooltech and have a single tritium bulb put in the front sight.

I also like the stock sights although I wouldn't mind a tritium front sight.

HK45
02-10-10, 14:06
As an aside, HK's customer service was better than expected. They were very polite and helpful, a nice surprise considering their infamous internet reputation.

Its more than just Internet reputation. I have been hoping that since they built their factory here they will be more US focused including support.

Kool Aid
03-05-10, 09:43
Thanks for continuing the test on this site, Greg.

My V1 HK45 just reached 9,500 rounds, mostly 230g reloads. It has not had a breakage or malfunction of any kind, and more than 9,000 rounds have gone through a single magazine.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 14:12
No problem. I have the gun back again. I plan on shooting it some this weekend with its little sister, an HK45c!

She is back to cocked and locked. I had Shane take the LEM guts out as I prefer the thumb safety.

loupav
03-05-10, 19:44
So you bought the gun back?

Don't forget pics! an HK45C will be joining my full size HK45's on Tuesday.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 20:09
I will take pics once I get the damn red paint out of the "HK" on the slide. %^$%^ Shane!

harrydog
03-06-10, 10:58
You have it back? Did Shane not like it or did you just miss it too much?

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-06-10, 14:53
Shane is like me, he goes round and round. He will own it again in 5-6 months. :D

operator81
03-06-10, 20:30
That is a good habit, selling guns to friends so you can buy them back once you regret the sale......I need to start doing that. ;)

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-06-10, 21:52
I have three buddies that do that. We traded a Sig 228 around about 10 times in the 90s.

loupav
03-08-10, 09:52
Yup I already started doing that. My friends have a USP Compact 9mm, P2000, and USP 45. All with the right for me to "buy back" for the same price.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-08-10, 12:05
Hey! You have my P2000!

loupav
03-08-10, 12:07
And I still do! The one I "sold" is a V3.

:D

loupav
03-21-10, 20:24
I just picked up an HK45C. That's such an awesome gun.

:D

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-22-10, 01:36
Yeah, it is!'

E-man930
04-02-10, 17:20
Greg,
Send me a PM when you need another H&K guy to some along with ammo as well as my HK45 / HK45C / P30. Keep up the good work bro!

E-man