PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms

SPUSCG
05-14-09, 19:53
While most companies have been making m-4geries, ive been looking at a Full sized m16 style AR. I also wanted a removable carry handle. I saw the Stag model 4, and it seems perfectly set up. Price looks awesome too. Wondering whats peoples experience is with them. Wondering, of course, reliability and accuracy, if it's ammo picky, and how cstomer support is.

10MMGary
05-14-09, 22:18
While most companies have been making m-4geries, ive been looking at a Full sized m16 style AR. I also wanted a removable carry handle. I saw the Stag model 4, and it seems perfectly set up. Price looks awesome too. Wondering whats peoples experience is with them. Wondering, of course, reliability and accuracy, if it's ammo picky, and how cstomer support is.

I have 3 and a half Stag Arms products(one with a very high round count), but no experience with the model 4. Mine have all functioned without failure. I went with Stag due to being a lefty. The lovely wife has a Stag upper(righty) on a Anvil Arms lower and hers seems to be gtg as well.

Pistola
05-14-09, 22:32
Can't say nothing bad about Stag. I have the model 1 and it's been reliable so far after 100 rounds. Just have the bolt carrier key properly staked. It's an easy fix. I've handled the model 4, where I bought my carbine . It feels pretty tight (a whole lot tighter than what we were issued before). The removable carry handle is a plus too. The only thing is the 20 inch Stag rifles doesn't have chrome lined barrels, only the carbine model does.

SPUSCG
05-15-09, 09:04
how much difference does crome make?

Iron-sapper
05-15-09, 10:39
Chrome is your friend. It makes chambering and extraction smoother (reduced friction) in the chamber and protects the bore from carbon, corrosion and field gunk when you use the rifle. Naysayers will say that chrome diminishes the accuracy potential of the barrel but most of us can't shoot up to the potential of our rifle/carbine anyways.

Reliability and longer service life.

SPUSCG
05-15-09, 11:19
Is there an option to upgrade to a chrome lined, liek pay an extra amount and its shipped with one?

SPUSCG
05-15-09, 12:48
And whats the difference between chrome and chrome-moly anyway?

DRich
05-15-09, 14:03
And whats the difference between chrome and chrome-moly anyway?

Chrome/Moly is the type of barrel steel. Chrome-lined means the chamber/bore is plated with hard chrome.

Unless you're building a dedicated match rifle, stick with a good chrome-lined barrel and you'll be better off in the long run. As mentioned above...increased reliability, increased barrel life and easier cleaning.

Pistola
05-15-09, 14:31
Is there an option to upgrade to a chrome lined, liek pay an extra amount and its shipped with one?

I would call Stag if they can make one for you with chrome line if you order from them. No harm in asking them. Their customer service is top notch from what I've heard.What are you gonna use it for (safe queen, range use) how much ammo are you gonna be shooting? If you will be shooting more than 1000 rounds a year, I'd be wanting a chrome line, but if you just shoot casually and as long as you keep your rifle clean, shouldn't be a problem. Or you have the option of buying the Stag lower and buying a complete upper from other brands that is chrome. Choose wisely, happy hunting:D

SPUSCG
05-15-09, 15:50
ill contact them.....not many companies making full sized ars, its all about the m4geries unfortunately. And yes, id shoot it a lot.

Pistola
05-15-09, 17:35
ill contact them.....not many companies making full sized ars, its all about the m4geries unfortunately. And yes, id shoot it a lot.

I saw some made by bushmaster a couple of years back. Then they got kind of rare. You're right it's all about m4geries nowadays. Bushmaster still makes them chrome lined since you'll be shooting a lot, but like I said hard to find, but they are out there. If you can go to your local store, see if they can order one for you. There's also gunbroker if you wanna go that route.

SPUSCG
05-15-09, 18:17
i sent an email, i saw rock river can upgrade, but it looks like their a4 doesn't come with a carry handle, or rear soights for that matter?