PDA

View Full Version : Info on shooting incedents No. shots fired

wrinkles
05-15-09, 18:24
Can anybody steer me to some data regarding shooting incidents and number of shots fired. What I'm looking for is will a normal subject, shot once in any part of the body stop aggression. Will a subject once shot stop an attack not because of damage done by the bullet but just because he or she is shot. Are ther any kind of number that say for example:

50% of the subject fired upon and hit with 1 round stopped and or ran away.
or
60% of the subjects shot once did not act as if anything had happened and continued the attack.

How many shot and hits per incident.

Not looking into 1 shot stops and calibers. What I want is will a normal subject once encountering an armed defender, and having been shot once stop the attack and run away or will the continue until damage done to the body by the single shot or follow up shots causes them to stop.

tpd223
05-16-09, 00:20
There is no normal in a gunfight, each incident is different, and you must assume the attacker will continue attacking even if shot solidly, this is the only safe mindset to have.

wrinkles
05-16-09, 00:26
Yes I understand that but I was trying to find some data that would have some sort of statistics. Like for the state of X there was X amount of incidents with an average of X amount of shots fired and X amount of hits and X amount of time. I know I've run into something like this before but I lost my HD and much of my data.

tpd223
05-17-09, 15:43
Nationally speaking, no one compiles or keeps this information.

The NYPD SOP9 report is the closest you will find, and they don't release it any more the last I knew.

WS6
05-18-09, 03:15
I relate everything back to experiences I have had. I used to fight full contact, so I relate this to that.

This is like you asking me: "Will a normal person stop/tap out/give up after a solid punch to the face?"

Well, I fought some pretty big guys that a couple of shots to the face stopped. I fought some little guys that it didn't seem to have much effect on. Each person is different. People fight with the mind much more so than the body. This goes for being hurt in any way, be it knife, fist, or bullet.

As a student of medicine, I can tell you that roughly a 20% blood-volume loss causes loss of consciousness. However...this is not hard and fast.

Shock can dialate the veins, this causes blood to pool in the lower body, which causes LOC.

Adrenaline and fight/flight can cause venous constriction in the body's resivoirs, this can artificially increase the amount of blood available to heart/brain.

So many things can happen. The only given is disruption of the CNS.