PDA

View Full Version : Colt's World War I replica

Slater
05-15-09, 19:25
The local Cabela's has one of these (for around $1000):

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q50-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

Looks beautifully done and is supposedly true to the old 1911 design (including markings/stampings).

Do the guys that buy these do much shooting with them or are they considered more of a non-shooting collectible?

varoadking
05-15-09, 21:31
I dunno...I buy guns to shoot, and for a 1911, I prefer the A1.

I guess I wouldn't buy one, or if I did, it'd just sit in the safe...

Race
05-15-09, 23:03
Slater,

As an aside, do a search on here for David Thomas's custom Colt WWI replica. I don't remember what thread it's in, but what a beauty.

bkb0000
05-15-09, 23:40
how is it any specialer than the springfield A1s? a $600 price tag and a good reliability package from a competent gunsmith.

what's it going for?

BushmasterFanBoy
05-16-09, 03:22
how is it any specialer than the springfield A1s? a $600 price tag and a good reliability package from a competent gunsmith.

what's it going for?

If you look at it from the perspective of it being comparable to a modern day 1911 then it's nowhere near the same league. This model comes into it's own as a novelty/fun/collectors piece. Details are pretty much correct and even the packaging has been reproduced. A Springfield 1911 Milspec or G.I. model doesn't come close to this.

I've had the chance to look at both the new "Black Army" and the older original. Both had outstanding finishes with the original looking a bit better in my opinion. As a shooter, the sights are lacking and the grip safety is a recipe for drawing blood out of my meaty hands. I was seriously considering buying one to go along with my WWI Lugers, but I couldn't justify the $900 price tag for something I couldn't shoot due to the discomfort.

Race
05-16-09, 09:34
I like the WWI reproduction, but I really wish Colt would bring out the WWII reproduction (1911A1) again.

LD3006
05-16-09, 15:16
Not the WWI, but I picked up one of the Colt Series 70 reproductions as a shooter. My thought is that since its a reproduction anyway, it really doesn't hold the value of an original.