PDA

View Full Version : Spectre can on 22 conversion with 1/9 twist--should I worry about baffle strikes

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-09, 08:38
Spectre can on 22 conversion with 1/9 twist--should I worry about baffle strikes?

Do I need to get a dedicated upper or will my 1/9 barrel stabilize it enough to get down the can?

markm
05-16-09, 09:26
Is the spectre a 5.56 can or rimfire can?

I'd definitely want to run rimfire thru an actual 22 lr barrel if I was shooting it through a can.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-09, 10:44
It is a 22 can.

MX5
05-19-09, 07:06
I questioned Kel at Gemtech about this a year ago & since them I've been shooting mine without incident. I'm using 1/9 twist barrels, CMMG & Ceiner conversions & a Gemtech Outback II. These are all on purpose built uppers that I assembled, but there's really nothing unique about mine - no special machining or voodoo. I have my own methods for polishing & breaking-in, but that's about it.

He said AR barrels have .6" exposed thread at the muzzle end. Their specs for muzzle threads call for .4" exposed threads. The extra .2" inside the can exposes the threads to build-up that can be problematic & the muzzle is extending deeper into the first chamber than the can was designed. This will effect removal & sound signature, respectively.

At his recommendation I had a local gunsmith/machinist that threads barrels for me make a few .2" spacers out of steel. He understood I wanted them machined parallel so there'd be no canting of the suppressor to the barrel when it meets the shoulder. Using shims, spacers or washers could cant the can & cause strikes. If all is machined properly, no ill should come of it.

I've been shooting my conversions suppressed for a year now with no problems whatsoever. The bullet stabilizes enough that there's no strikes due to yaw. The urban myth about bullets bouncing down the barrel is just bullshit. There is a very slight difference & accuracy varies somewhat from a purpose built .22LR barrel. However, mine are getting 2" - 5" groups up to 50 yds. without a rest, using good ammo. Others have varying degress of accuracy, but most people that are bashing have never laid hands on one. They saw, or heard or know someone that's a friend of a friend. You know, typical Internet crap. YMMV, but I think you'll be pleased.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-19-09, 10:41
Thanks. I too get pretty decent accuracy out of my conversion.