PDA

View Full Version : Rifle soft case suggestions

hk51pdx
05-16-09, 11:18
Yep, tried the ever popular Search function but it bombed out on me every time...

I have a scoped bolt rifle (20" barrel, 40"oal) and i would like some recommendations for soft cases. I won't be dragging it through fields, deploying in hostile environments, etc so this doesn't have to be super high-end. But i would like resistance to bumps and crashes as the rifle is transported from the safe, to the truck, to the range or shooting location, and back again.

I like some of the designs that can be used as a mat, but would be totally happy with a traditional case design as well. I've looked at Eagle and the like, but they seem like overkill for my needs - if i was active duty and had this rifle for call-out i would absolutely buy the best i could afford, but that's just not the use i have.

Even if you don't have brand/model suggestions, i would appreciate things to look out for that have caused you problems in the past.

Thanks!

kmrtnsn
05-16-09, 11:49
My suggestion would be to get a hard case. Either a Pelican or Storm Case. For one you can lock it. Two, Pelican and other companies will custom cut the foam inside for your riffle and accessories. Three, it'll better protect expensive optics. If you travel, you have an airline approved transport case. As for soft cases, Ebay is full of drag bag knock offs and molle webbed soft side cases that won't bust your wallet. I have one of the Voodoo Tactical molle case that I use for a shotgun. I think they make it in increments up to 48 or 50 inches, that'll fit a bolt gun. Botach Tactical is clearing out discreet Maxpedition bags for 50 bucks right now but those are a bit short for a bolt gun, unless yours breaks down.

The_War_Wagon
05-16-09, 11:49
I use Condor bags for my AR's. For the price and the features, they're hard to beat! I know they make one in a 42" size, because I accidentally ordered THAT one (instead of the 36" model :rolleyes:) for my first AR. Lost of places in it to stuff gear!

grimm
05-17-09, 18:09
A lot of people seem to like this a lot. It can hold 2 rifles because of the built in foam divider.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mil-spec-plus-36-tactical-gun-case.aspx?a=406459