PDA

View Full Version : Extended base plates for 9mm Glocks

adh
05-16-09, 13:40
Does anyone use extended base plates with their 9mm Glock mags? I have heard bad things about some (IIRC factory Glock extensions have some reliability issues). I was considering trying out a set of Scherer extensions
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13078&title=EXTENDED%20MAGAZINE%20PAD%20for%20GLOCK~

Any other suggestions or any feedback on the Scherers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
05-16-09, 14:14
I have used the factory ones and havent had any probs but i changed my springs..

gunadict
05-17-09, 07:28
How many rounds do you want to add. The factory are good, if you want more rounds try the Dawson Precision , or the Arredondo.

Business_Casual
05-17-09, 07:32
So 18 rounds of 9mm for the first go isn't enough?

M_P

adh
05-17-09, 10:00
So 18 rounds of 9mm for the first go isn't enough?

M_P

No it's not that. I just get a better grip with a little extra length. It's part of why I prefer my G17 to the G19. Would only be putting a magazine extension on spare mags.

John_Wayne777
05-17-09, 10:37
I'm not sure about the exact extenders you're speaking of, but in general mag extensions on Glocks that I've dealt with haven't worked very well.

If you're looking for a longer grip and for extra ammo for the G19, my advice would be to buy G17 magazines. They usefully extend the grip, give you more ammo, and they're reliable.

When I carry one of my 9mm Glocks I always carry a G17 mag as a spare. Same for my M&P9C.

Kilroy
05-17-09, 11:03
For best results and fewer problems, stick with the factory "Plus" magazine bottoms. Have them correctly installed and you should not have any problems. If the magazines are used regularly and more then a couple years old, replace the springs.

Aftermarket parts, also known as "transfer devices", vary in fit, finish and function.

GLOCKMASTER
05-17-09, 14:46
For best results and fewer problems, stick with the factory "Plus" magazine bottoms. Have them correctly installed and you should not have any problems.

I recently installed the factory + extensions on several of my G19 mags. So far so good on the range however, for now I'm sticking with just factory capacity mags for carry. I just don't quite trust the extensions yet.

Txs
05-20-09, 20:59
I have no experience with the aftermarket types, but over the years I've seen the factory units fail on more than one occasion on LEO's handguns.

These basically create a shear line on the magazine. When you combine this with a pair of relatively narrow lips retaining the extension, a slightly flexible material, mag well support ending right at the point they attach and heavy spring pressure you're setting yourself up for problems.

If the extended portion of receives a sideways blow or even a hard push it will detach and dump the mag's contents.

More than once I've seen this happen due to simply sitting down in a chair or car seat with the pistol worn in a strong side hip holster. With chairs the base plate contacted the arm of the chair and was pushed sideways. In the car incidents (right hand carry and entering the driver's side) the base plate was dragged across the seat back as the officer got in the car.

In one of these car incidents the officer didn't notice this had occurred as he sat down. He became aware only after returning to his car during a traffic stop and seeing a pile of ammo in his seat. Very bad stuff there.

They're okay on a pistol used for only range games, but have no business on a pistol you're staking your life on. That extra couple of rounds is definitely not worth the risk they create.

adh
05-21-09, 08:52
Thanks for all the info fellas
Txs...thanks for that insite. It's definitely not worth compromising the reliability of the weapon just to get a little better grip for me. I will stick with stock.