PDA

View Full Version : M870 Tactical

TheGreenRanger24
05-16-09, 21:17
I found an 870 express tactical in a local shop. The price was $399. It has black plastic furniture and a mag. extension. I have little experience with firearms, so I was wondering if this shotgun is a good investment, or if I should keep looking. Thoughts?

kmrtnsn
05-16-09, 23:37
A good price for a 870 TAC, I'd buy it. Put a side saddle, a Surefire fore-end light, and a Knoxx stock on it and you'll have a sweet shooting boomstick.

BikerRN
05-17-09, 04:17
A good price for a 870 TAC, I'd buy it. Put a side saddle, a Surefire fore-end light, and a Knoxx stock on it and you'll have a sweet shooting boomstick.

I agree.

It's hard to go wrong with an 870 IMHO. :)

Biker

VTLO910
05-21-09, 22:05
Besides Parkerization (?Spelling), does anyone know the difference between the 870P Police Magnum and the M870 Tactical...?

MadDog
05-27-09, 21:28
Love my 870. I have the original 18.5" bbl, 14" bbl. and 12" bbl for all occasions. It rocks for HD.

MadDog :p

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1553/newsbs02ed3.jpg

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6705/newsbs01ii4.jpg

Malleus Dei
05-27-09, 22:06
I like mine too

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg91/malleusdei_photo/Shotty%20and%20Friends/DSC04712.jpg

MadDog
05-27-09, 22:47
Malleus: I really like that UBR stock on your Remmy. I wanted to go that way but I couldn't find one anywhere when I set mine up. They were just too new at the time and nobody had any in stock (no pun intended).

MadDog :D

ryanm
05-28-09, 09:23
Maddog, which hand stopper is on the foregrip? Surefire M69 rail? How do you like the SOPMOD on the shotgun? Build looks great! I've got a similar build planned/procured for while I'm home with an Emod and a Desert Recon tactical 870 as the basis. I'll post pics when I'm done. The top-rail/high mount was backorderd for almost 2 months--and I wasn't able to get the recoil reduced version. I can always add it later.

Cheers!

N4LtRecce
05-28-09, 11:18
MadDog, who makes that whole stock/rail setup?

Malleus, who makes the rail atop your barrel?

Thanks!

ryanm
05-28-09, 12:08
I can answer most of that...

The stock adapter is a mesa tactical High Mount adapter with rail. I believe his forend is a Surefire M69 with Tango Down panels cut to fit. The stock is an LMT SOPMOD in FDE. Not sure if he's using a standard carbine buffer or the enidine recoil reducer. The pistol grip is a falcon suregrip in FDE. The side saddle looks like mesa tactical (90380). The optic is a Trijicon RX01 with ARMS mount, possibly the NSN version but can't tell 100%. The small RX's all kind of look the same.

I'm not sure what his forerail/hand stop adapter is.

I can't see Maelleus' photo, but I'm guessing its probably the S&J if it runs almost all the way to the end of the barrel is connects to the stock adapter the same as Maddogs.

ryanm
05-28-09, 16:46
Nice setup Maellus! I couldn't see your setup from work. How do you use the tango down shorty on the foregrip? Do you hold the grip while firing or use it primariy as a hand stop/faster action cycling? I had thought about doing something similary with a FUG.

MadDog
05-28-09, 17:22
ryanm: You are correct on almost everything. the railed forend is a Wilson Tactical who says they mill them in house from solid billet aluminum but I am not sure if that is true. Ergo has one exactly like it for a little less. I'm thinking Wilson buys them from Ergo. The handstop is also an Ergo and costs maybe $6 before shipping. I had a rather large ACE made of aluminum but it was uncomfortable. The Ergo hand stop feels just like their rubber overmold grips. And finally the Trijicon Reflex II is the NSN model (2 MOA amber dot) I found on ARFcom's EE for $250 with ARMS mount. I thought that was a pretty good deal for the price. With the Reflex and a 14" bbl. it will knock down 10" dia. steel plates at 100 yards first time every time with slugs. Accuracy is great.

MadDog :cool:

ryanm
05-28-09, 18:06
I'll have to pick up a couple of those hand stops, I like the design. I'm in the process of ordering all the remaining parts for my builds. I go on leave in June, I have project shotgun madness, project Mk14EBR, project Mk12 mod1 and project M24A3 to attend too. :)

I'll do a quick list of the shotgun builds. I have almost everything, waiting on the surefire stuff. I had to order direct :(

I considered buying the palm swell ergos, I may try one off of my DMR rifle to see how I like it.

If you've never played with the new remington shurshot stock, I highly recommend checking it out! It might not be the most "tactical" stock ever made, but it sure comes up nice!

No side saddles on the 870s, the rail solutions I have interfer with the rear mount points

Desert Recon 870 20" Tactical model 81421
CQBR top rail Rail
Aimpoint T1 w/GGG mount
Mesa High Mount stock with EMOD in FDE
Ergo suregrip (FDE)
Enidine Recoil Damper (note, they are in stock at Brownells at this time!!)
Barrel Shroud (FDE DuraHeat coated)
Surefire M69 forend and Magpul XTM FDE panels
Mesa Barrel Mounted rail adapter

Tactical 870 20" with 7shot tube (unsure of exact model), available from SGCUSA.com
http://sgcusa.com/Shotguns-Remington/c86_218/p3124/Remington-870-Tactical-Ghost-Ring/product_info.html
Knights Armament RAS
RX NSN version (I paid 460 new from optics planet--you got a hell of a deal on yours maddog!)
Trijicon Ghost Ring sites
Shurshot Stock
Barrel Shroud (Parkerized)
Surefire 618LFG foregrip/LED light
Mesa Barrel Mounted Rail adapter
GGG Sling attachment

Mossberg 500 Persuader 54125
Mesa top rail
EOTech 552
Mossberg Ghost Ring sites
Barrel Shroud (Parkerized)
SpeedFeed LE w/pistol grip stock
Surefire 623 LFG foregrip/LED light
Nordic components barrel mounted rail adapter
Vang safety
Mesa 6 shot side rail (receiver mounted)
GGG Sling attachment

Mossberg 500 Persuader 55605 (yeah, the one with the ridiculous comp)
S&J Top rail
C-More sight (I know everyone hates these things, but I figured I'd try it out)
Mesa High Mount Stock with EMOD in black
Ergo suregrip (Black)
Enidine Recoil Damper
Barrel Shroud (Parkerized) (cut to fit S&J)
Surefire M70 foregrip with Magpul XTM black panels
Nordic components barrel mounted rail adapter
Vang safety
Mesa 6 shot side rail (adapter mounted)

Malleus Dei
05-28-09, 19:42
MadDog, who makes that whole stock/rail setup?

Malleus, who makes the rail atop your barrel?

Thanks!

You can purchase the long rail specifically for the Mesa High Tube Stock adapter. *
It’s a drop in unit. For $90US it comes with all mounting hardware (screws and barrel clamp) complete with Canadian logo on the top of the rail :).

or

You can also order S&J Hardware's stock adapter instead with a long rail that is specific to their product.

I dealt with Simon at http://sjhardware.com/stockadapter.html. *He was very helpful. *I used paypal and received the part within a week.

Malleus Dei
05-28-09, 20:26
Nice setup Maellus! I couldn't see your setup from work. How do you use the tango down shorty on the foregrip? Do you hold the grip while firing or use it primariy as a hand stop/faster action cycling? I had thought about doing something similary with a FUG.

Appreciate the compliment. I have tried firing and cycling while holding the grip but was not working for me. I personally have better muzzle control with the grip as shown. Same hand positioning and stance as I use with my AR. I know there has been some debate on this forum regarding the advantages/disadvantages of setting up shotguns in this fashion, however I find it easier for me to transition between my AR and the 870. Train, Train, Train I guess is the answer.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg91/malleusdei_photo/Shotty%20and%20Friends/DSC04771-1.jpg

ryanm
05-29-09, 06:06
Looks like a good way to go as far as the grip. I will play around with that config while I'm home.

I orderd all my S&J stuff through tacticalshotgunner--I wish I had known about the S&J site, I would have orderdd direct and avoided the backorder process.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to modify the rail or the safety (or both) on the mossberg to accomodate the full length top rail. I think I can always just mod the receiver and kick the rail forward a bit, maybe have to cut the rail down a bit to fit.

I'd like to use the remington 870 methodology for the rail, but the safety is in the way. If I had a safety button that would extend to the side and then drop down but keeps a completely flat profile on the receiver, I think that would work.

The gap on the high mount on mossbergs looks, for lack of a better term--craptastic. It makes the the normal size rail that comes with the kit look like a "Mohawk" on top of the rifle.

implexant
06-01-09, 13:32
I found an 870 express tactical in a local shop. The price was $399. It has black plastic furniture and a mag. extension. I have little experience with firearms, so I was wondering if this shotgun is a good investment, or if I should keep looking. Thoughts?
That's a great deal, jump on it!

-Chris

TheGreenRanger24
06-02-09, 16:03
I went back to the store that has the shotgun and took a closer look at it. It actually is NOT a tactical: it's a Remington 870 express synthetic with +2 magazine extension. I'm not sure what kind of coating it has, but it looked nicer than the regular 870 express finishes that I've noticed. Anyway, the price is $369.99 and it's sorely tempting. . . (plus the store has $10 background checks seems pretty decent).
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_7-round.asp

ryanm
06-02-09, 17:23
You should be OK with the "non-tactical" version. I don't believe you get any of the benefits from the police or military 870s with the commercial "tactical " versions. For the most part, it looks like they are calling it "tactical" if it has a black phosphate finish, breacher choke, non-ribbed barrel, and an extended mag tube. The desert recon feels like the Trinyte coating from the XCS or XCR, but I don't think it is.The folding stock and ghost ring sights are about the only other options for the "tacticals". There is a really good sticky on the differences it the police magnum lineup. I contacted OK Police Supply regarding a police magnum--they start at $700 and have a 6-8 week lead time. The Remington MCS is not available for public sale. They also wouldn't sell me an M24 with an AICS stock--not sure why that was an issue because the HS Precision version was OK to sell.

You could also by a wilson or nighthawk variant as they are based on the Police Magnum.

I decided to use the commercial "tactical" versions for my builds. I'm looking forward to stripping off the tiger-stripe furniture from the recon. :)

TheGreenRanger24
06-02-09, 18:12
You should be OK with the "non-tactical" version. I don't believe you get any of the benefits from the police or military 870s with the commercial "tactical " versions. For the most part, it looks like they are calling it "tactical" if it has a black phosphate finish, breacher choke, non-ribbed barrel, and an extended mag tube. The desert recon feels like the Trinyte coating from the XCS or XCR, but I don't think it is.The folding stock and ghost ring sights are about the only other options for the "tacticals". There is a really good sticky on the differences it the police magnum lineup. I contacted OK Police Supply regarding a police magnum--they start at $700 and have a 6-8 week lead time. The Remington MCS is not available for public sale. They also wouldn't sell me an M24 with an AICS stock--not sure why that was an issue because the HS Precision version was OK to sell.

You could also by a wilson or nighthawk variant as they are based on the Police Magnum.

I decided to use the commercial "tactical" versions for my builds. I'm looking forward to stripping off the tiger-stripe furniture from the recon. :)

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure this version would be fine for me. I'm not a secretsquirrelparadeltasealjumperrangerswatoperatorberetwearingsupermallninjawannabe, so I don't really need a whole lot. Right now, I might put a few shells through the gun every now and again just to kill some time and have a decent HD weapon. If I do decide to take the plunge and buy it, I'll probably just put a tacstar side saddle on it, maybe a sling, and that's about it. I have handled several versions of the "tactical" line, and the only differences I've noticed are that the tacticals have different accessories that I really don't need. The express synthetic seems to be the "base model" for the tactical line, and I should probably buy that and see what I like and don't like before I worry about Knoxx stocks, ghost ring sights, and rails.
Anywho, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. Now all I have to do is see if I can scrounge up a few hundred bucks to buy a certain shotgun. :p

implexant
06-03-09, 02:25
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure this version would be fine for me. I'm not a secretsquirrelparadeltasealjumperrangerswatoperatorberetwearingsupermallninjawannabe, so I don't really need a whole lot.
I think you're right. My first firearm purchase was a Mossberg 500 with a 18" and 24" barrel. Ended up putting a pistol grip, side saddle, and hogue foregrip on it. Not very "tactical" but the thing is a great little shotgun for sitting next to the bed or riding around in the trunk. Was pretty cheap too. Back in July of 2005, the whole package ended up running me ~ $300 all said and done.

I don't think you'll ever find that you've gone wrong with a basic shotgun. As long as you don't get it in digital cammo. :eek:

-Chris