PDA

View Full Version : Newish DD M4 stuck take down pin

emullet
05-17-09, 12:37
I've had the rifle about a month. I love it. The only issue I've had it how tight the rear take down pin is. The pivot pin on the other hand is removable by hand.

I read about someone else having the same issue. It was mentioned in that thread that the pin will loosen up if you keep putting rounds through it. I've put about 400 rounds through it and it is just as immovable as when I started.

Any other suggestions on how to loosen this? I'm not sure a punch tool would help and in fact I'm worried I would damage the lower if I were to attempt extracting it with a tool.

mmx1
05-17-09, 13:44
Have you tried lubricating the pin? A punch might be excessive but it's pretty common to use a pen or cleaning rod to tap it out.

shootmovecomm
05-17-09, 14:00
I have had take down pins in both Colt's and Noveske's not lossen up until a minimum of 1000 rounds where placed throught the gun and they where still snug. As fore mentioned a little lube can go a long way.

emullet
05-17-09, 14:33
Ok. I'll lube up the pin and keep firing.

Might try a plastic pen or pen cap.

Thanks

lanceriley
05-17-09, 14:40
if it makes you feel better, I use a wooden dowell to remove mine.

although I think it became tighter after I refinished with gunkote.

Parabellum9x19mm
05-17-09, 14:59
wooden dowel or derlin punch and lube.

OP, if it makes you feel better, there are a lot of people who wish their upper lower fit was that snug.

lanceriley
05-17-09, 15:10
yep.. you got that right. somehow I always had the fear that the holes were already enlarged. that was before I refinished. after having to use a wooden dowell everytime. I love it's tightness lol

nickdrak
05-17-09, 21:18
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=21182&st=&s=

JessR45
05-17-09, 21:35
Hi,

I have a 2 month old DDM4 which I really like, but instead of the rear pin, it is the pivot pin that is really tight. I use a bamboo chopstick to gently tap it out. I have applied lube to both pins and it seems to aid in pushing them out. I have had the great luck to own several M-4s over the years, and the DDM4 has the best upper / lower fit of them all for me. Snug, but not tight, seems like just right. I'm aware that the upper / lower looseness has no bearing on accuracy (or so I'm told), but there's something about picking up a DDM4 and feeling that solid, almost handfitted feel, like a well built 1911 :). Just imho, of course...

Thanks,
Jess

lanceriley
05-17-09, 23:23
nothing like a solid rifle

Fringe
05-18-09, 09:44
Yep, it was me who had the same issue and started a thread a while back to address it. After a class and 2000k rounds, it is still tighter than ever. Hell, wood dowel rods, chopsticks, I just use what ever is hard, usually metal, to bang the thing out. It is nicely marked from all the take downs. I have used lube to my hearts content, and it is still hard.
I think I might sand it a little as I really want to be able to field strip it without tools. I just don't feel like it is a full fighting gun because of this. I love the gun though, has been great.
I know others have said they would rather have this issue than being loose, but my BCMs are loose on my LMTs and they shoot perfect and take down is easy.

bcbrown2
05-18-09, 10:21
I've read here and elsewhere of others who've had tight pins on new guns after running into the same thing myself. I've got about 500 rounds through a new M&P15OR and, at first, my pins required some extra love (as in "puuuuuussssshh") to get to move. Lubed them up, kept shooting, and they move much easier without needing any tools.

Nice rifle, keep running it (as much as any of us can afford right now) and a little drop of lube on those pins should help out.

Cheers!

matt7184
05-18-09, 12:54
Mine were very hard to get out initially. After 3000 rounds it is now removable by hand only, but it is still pretty tight.

lanceriley
05-18-09, 13:31
I just cleaned my AR a few minutes ago. actually just cleaned the bolt. 500 rounds the pin is still tight. removed it with 1 whack of a wooden dowell. but it wasn't so hard as before. maybe in a few more rounds it will be easier to remove.

never considered it a real problem. never made me doubt the credibility of my rifle.

RAM Engineer
05-18-09, 19:05
I use a bic pen with the ballpoint tip and ink reservoir removed.

lanceriley
05-18-09, 19:11
hmm... that's an excellent idea!

emullet
05-18-09, 21:27
I was able to extract the pin with some lube and judicious use of a metal/plastic tool. It was not easy though. Having run a bunch of Wolf ammo through it I didn't feel comfortable just running ammo through it until it loosened up without cleaning it.