PDA

View Full Version : FN F2000 experience

Manx
06-27-06, 15:54
I had my first opportunity to fire the FN F2000 while training with a European SF group yesterday. We also had FNCs on the range and I must say that my preference lies with the FNC.

I found the F2000 to be very awkward to handle. I'm not sure why it's so fat. There doesn't seem to be much in the rear of the weapon to require it to be so pudgy. If they cut the width in half, I'd like it better.
The trigger was, well...sponge-like.
These were original models, not the Tactical version. We had removed the manufacturers integral optic and mounted something, eh,hem, "better". We realized that it would be impossible to use night-vision with this weapon in its current configuration. Optics mounted to the rail sat too low to be able to use head-mounted NVDs and the hump for the chamber inspection prevented from mounting PVS-14s using the tall GG&G PVS-14 mount. These guys are facing a real problem. The only solution we could conceive of is to use a riser for the Picatinny rail. By raising the rail about 2", there should be enough room for HMNVDs or the GG&G mount to clear the hump.

The weapons functioned fine, except one weapon that double fed as a result of the soldier planting the base of the magazine on the ground in the prone position. With a little help of two of his buddies and three more onlookers, he was able to dismantle the weapon, clear the jam, and put it all back together in a little over 5 minutes.

Despite my own opinion of the weapon, the users who have spent more time with it think it is o.k. and didn't seem to mind that the F2000 was going to replace their FNCs. If I were in this group, I'd hold fast to my FNC.

Does anyone else have experience with the F2000 or own a FS2000? I'd like to hear your comments.

TOrrock
07-27-06, 21:32
Thanks for the review.....I still want a FN2000.....

I also think the FNC is a fine rifle, but I did experience the dreaded broken firing pin issue first hand with one.

DocGKR
07-27-06, 21:42
As I posted at 10-8, we tried the FN2000's a couple of years ago--they were NOT well liked...

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/29222-FN2000.jpg

TOrrock
07-27-06, 21:47
Could you do a quick comparison to a Steyr AUG or a FAMAS?

I've shot both, didn't care for the AUG but did like the FAMAS.

I think that honestly, part of my interest in the FN2000 is that it's something new, but if FN were to release the SCAR series for civillian consumption I'd snap one up.

RENEA
03-06-07, 13:40
I own one and like it alot. It's not my "go to" weapon but it sure is fun on the range (and the ladies love it). :)

SinnFéinM1911
03-06-07, 14:48
You say we ? Your Unit ?

ShipWreck
03-06-07, 21:10
I'll stick with my PS90.... Although, if someone GAVE me a FS2000, I wouldn't complain :D

tikkafan
03-06-07, 23:38
The Slovakian Army is buying these for general issue. Good luck guys! :D

It just seems like a gimmick to me.

Wayne Dobbs
03-07-07, 15:15
After watching one in action at a Pat Rogers/EAG Carbine class this past weekend, I thought the gun was a POS. There were constant problems with functioning and handling with the gun. Even if you factor out the inevitable user error that occurs with a tool/weapon, it was still a no-go from my perspective. There were about 1100 rounds fired over three days, so the stance I'm taking is not based on just a few rounds.

greentips
03-07-07, 17:10
The magwell is too tight, and it is hard to tell whether the magazine has been full seated. It is very difficult to do a "bang" and " tug" on the magazine. That's pretty much what makes the rifle fail when the magazine is not seated properly. Yes, it is operator's error, but the way it is designed makes this difficult to avoid sometimes.

I have my question about using clam shelled plastic barrel trunion held together by screws.

I wont' mind keeping one around if I got extra $$$, for collecting purpose.

rl56
03-08-07, 09:36
No problems. Just remove the rubber mag. gasket and don't run it dry (empty for non IPSC shooters). Treat it like an open race gun. Haven't had any problems, plastic or steel, with mine. Saw a show a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the problems people were having with MP5's, magazine and feed.

Pat_Rogers
03-08-07, 11:36
The FS2k has all the beauty, style and grace of a rough hewn 2x6, though without the ergonomics...

It looks like a fat chick in a ballerina costume.

It looks like a Mini with off road tires.

Ed did a great job with it in class, but my initial impression is that it is an answer to an unasked question.

Unsure as to who/ what has adopted them , but also sure that there are many sitting around in the factory waiting for a home.
That was the first I have seen in a class, and i'll be confident that i won't see many more.

medic15al
03-08-07, 12:39
As I posted at 10-8, we tried the FN2000's a couple of years ago--they were NOT well liked...

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/29222-FN2000.jpg

I like that face camo!:D

rl56
03-08-07, 15:55
Don't sugar coat it Pat, tell us how you really feel.

GunLovinTexan
03-10-07, 22:39
I baught one today.....ill be taking it to a APG to run it threw some test...Ill Report later however just playing with it in my house i find that it is better balenced then an AR and swings alot better. However i have found a few things i dont like, The placement of the MAG and the fact its not drop free.

Rob

Ed L.
03-16-07, 22:49
Hi,

I'm the guy who shot the FS2000 in Pat's class.

First I want to say it was probably the best carbine class I have ever taken and I really enjoyed meeting everyone.

As to the FS2000 being a POS, I had exactly two jams: one due to a double feed; the other due to a failure to extract where I had to pry the case off the bolt face. This would have been a bitch to clear with an AR.

I also had two failures to detonate with Radway Green out of the 200-250 rounds of Radway Green that I fired in the course out of a total of 1100-1200 rounds total.

The total number of problems I experienced is not bad, considering that most of the AR-15s in the class had at least as many if not more malfunctions, not to mention user induced ones (and I am not talking about anyone in this thread). Let's not forget that in the class of 18 shooters (17 AR's and one FS2000) there were several AR's that would not function reliably at all and required a new loaner upper from Pat.

I am not saying the FS2000 is perfect--far from it. But on the whole it probably had no more and probably less problems than most of the ARs in the class.

I fired the French FAMAS years ago and if I remember correctly, we had problems getting groups less than about 6" at 100 yards with various ammo. I really liked its compactness, balance, and feel.

I own an AUG and with a 16" barrel. It is hard to say whether I like the AUG or FS2000 better. They are very close in many respects. There are some things I like better about the AUG and other things I prefer about the FS2000.

Lumpy196
03-19-07, 15:21
Fun how people keep discovering the ways bullpups suck (an the gun to gun quirks of the type) over and over...

Dport
03-19-07, 16:41
Fun how people keep discovering the ways bullpups suck (an the gun to gun quirks of the type) over and over...
I think the explanation is curiosity. Why did the Australians, French, British, and now the Israelis adopt them as service rifles?

The real question should be, "what do their elite units use?"