PDA

View Full Version : Ive gotten Bitten by the AK bug!

Mr.Goodtimes
05-17-09, 15:32
badly too i might add. i was just in the gun shop and the guy showed me an Arsenal SLR 106U. This looks like the most perfect weapon to SBR! im thinkin this thing would be sweet as an SBR with a T1 on top. Their asking 1500 bucks for it and they dont budge on their prices. is this a reasonable price?

I cant afford it right now but if i save really really really hard, i probably can in a few months.

Also, should i buy this one which is chambered in .223 or should i try and find one in 5.45? ammo is damn near free in 5.45! however, that would be a different caliber to have to stockpile as well.

Jay Cunningham
05-17-09, 16:18
A certain (significant) percentage of these weapons have shown themselves to be problematic. Buyer beware.

1fastdog
05-17-09, 17:36
A certain (significant) percentage of these weapons have shown themselves to be problematic. Buyer beware.

One has to wonder as to whether its a manufacturer glitch with the weapon itself or there's problems assuring the right mag is used for the NATO round.

One would think Arsenal knows how to build a rifle that's been in service for a while.

senorlinc
05-17-09, 18:07
One has to wonder as to whether its a manufacturer glitch with the weapon itself or there's problems assuring the right mag is used for the NATO round.

One would think Arsenal knows how to build a rifle that's been in service for a while.

i would suggest doing a bit more research regarding both quality of recent arsenal built rifles and AK rifles chambered for .223. there is a good variety of imformation available both on this forum and on theakforum.net

Jay Cunningham
05-17-09, 18:13

One would think that, but one would then be mistaken. I'd like to say that Arsenal will take care of you if you have an issue but that hasn't always been 100% either. Sorry to say.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-17-09, 19:03
if arsenal quality has been suffering... who makes a good one then?

1fastdog
05-17-09, 22:22
i would suggest doing a bit more research regarding both quality of recent arsenal built rifles and AK rifles chambered for .223. there is a good variety of imformation available both on this forum and on theakforum.net

I'll take your word for. I'm not interested in one in that caliber.

Too bad that there are issues because Arsenal had established a good reputation.:(

montanadave
05-18-09, 08:43
If sticking with 7.62x39, why not consider a VZ58 from CZ? Proprietary mags aside, it's a nice shooter and the price hasn't gone quite as nuts as the AK market.

IPSC_GUY
06-07-09, 17:15
If sticking with 7.62x39, why not consider a VZ58 from CZ? Proprietary mags aside, it's a nice shooter and the price hasn't gone quite as nuts as the AK market.

Thew VZ-58 is 11 better than the AK-47 as the owners of these odd ball rifles like to say. My gunsmith built several and they are truly a hoot to shoot. They even have a Last Round Bolt Hold Open feature that is completely lacking in the rest of the AK world. The only problem with the VZ-58 is that they aren't sexy. Reliable, decently accurate and affordable, just not sexy...

As for other AKs the venerable AK-74 is my favorite. I have two AKS74s and a Krink kit waiting a stamp, and 5.45 is still the best bang for the buck. Also a little divergent is the Galil and if you want to stay with a 5.56mm that would be my recommendation over any of the current Arsenal stuff in 5.56mm.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Mr.Goodtimes
06-07-09, 18:32
i think that im gonna go the 5.45 route. i like how the ammo is cheap. how much can a galil be had for?

IPSC_GUY
06-09-09, 00:50
i think that im gonna go the 5.45 route. i like how the ammo is cheap. how much can a galil be had for?

The Galil is a whole world unto itself. Prices can range from $3000 or more on the high end to $600 for one of the Golanis. A Mossy Galil (one of the most desirable versions in my opinion) can be had in the $1200 ish range.

The 5.45 route is the way to go really. 5.45 AKs are a tons "o" fun to shoot and 5.45 is actually quite the devastating round. ALAS with the current craziness they have become expensive. Sorry the bug hit you this late.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

jhs1969
06-09-09, 15:07
Personally I feel the Arsenal/Saiga SGL20 is probably the best AK available on the market right now. Mine is a sweet example, some ding it because it does not have a correct this or correct that but these tend to be AK collectors in search of a true issue Russian AK. The SGL20 seems to be a close copy of an AK103.

I too love the 5.45 AK's. The best one's in this caliber, I feel, were the Arsenal SLR 105 series. I sold mine to help pay for our wedding, thinking I would replace it at a later date. Little did I know Arsenal would not release this model again. If you do a continuing search on Gun Broker you may run across the occasional 105.

Gun broker has one (1) listed for around $900
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131027882