PDA

View Full Version : What is the right LOP?

mmx1
05-17-09, 16:07
A search for length and pull didn't turn up anything relevant.

I've been trying to figure out the most "comfortable" stock setting on my AR-15 (I qualified on a fixed stock, so this is a new problem/option for me). What determines the "appropriate" length of pull? I started off towards the middle but have been slowly moving it further back to the full open position.

What specific indicators should I look for? Is it likely/possible to have a different ideal LOP in the standing versus prone positions or should they be identical so as to have identical eye relief?

Mikey
05-17-09, 16:14
Mine.

Armor - all the way in, Nose to CH.

Slick - 1 click out, Nose to CH

kmrtnsn
05-17-09, 16:51
I fire mine right of the centerline of my body, wearing armor, both eye open with the Eotech far up on the rails. In that position the stock is complete collapsed. That works for me, your mileage may vary.

NCPatrolAR
05-17-09, 20:49
Slick - position 4

Armor - Position 3

kmrtnsn
05-17-09, 20:56
NCPatrolAR,

Are you slightly or fully bladed with the stock extended that far, or square/parallel to the target?

K

NCPatrolAR
05-17-09, 20:58
NCPatrolAR,

Are you slightly or fully bladed with the stock extended that far, or square/parallel to the target?

K

Slight blade. If I square up fully to the target I am unable to get my non-dominate hand out as far on the handguards as I need.

kmrtnsn
05-17-09, 21:29
Thanks, If we blade, our trainers are all over us. "Square to the target! Use that protection!" Adjustable stocks; they take one weapon and make it fit everyone and that is a good thing.

NCPatrolAR
05-17-09, 21:31
Thanks, If we blade, our trainers are all over us. "Square to the target! Use that protection!" Adjustable stocks; they take one weapon and make it fit everyone and that is a good thing.

They are stuck in the "the MP-5 stance is the only way to go" mindset from how it sounds.

kmrtnsn
05-17-09, 21:51
No, we are in the "Mark Stall" stance, I understand their rationale and I am okay with that. Know the limits of your protection and use it to its full potential.

NCPatrolAR
05-17-09, 23:28
No, we are in the "Mark Stall" stance, I understand their rationale and I am okay with that. Know the limits of your protection and use it to its full potential.

Personly, I'll take a slight decrease in full frontal coverage in exchange for faster, more accurate hits on threats. When I first got into tactical training I was doing the squared up stance thing. After changing who I was training with, I adopted the slight blade and saw significant increases in my speed and accuracy. Of course, stance only really matters on the square range.

kmrtnsn
05-17-09, 23:31
True enough.

bkb0000
05-17-09, 23:34
squaring up to the target only squares you up to the guy you're shooting at, you're still bladed to all his buddies.

ST911
05-18-09, 09:20
Mine.

Armor - all the way in, Nose to CH.

Slick - 1 click out, Nose to CH

Same here.