PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Prismatic

C4IGrant
01-08-07, 16:01
This little optic is supposed to show up at Shot. I will take a look at and give some feedback. Hopefully it is a true 1X optic.

C4

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_1930_100708352

jmart
01-08-07, 16:53
Do you have any specs on this? I've asked Jerrod if he could post them, but so far, no joy. He mentioned awhile ago that once Leupold got around to finalizing the prototype he would do so.

I've already seen this optic advertised in a Leupold periodical so I figure they must be beyond prototyping and into production. Leupold's website shows several pics of "new for 07" products, and they say the website will be updated some time in Feb. Just wondering if you had any info yet, or if you could get it from Leupold.

C4IGrant
01-08-07, 17:12
Do you have any specs on this? I've asked Jerrod if he could post them, but so far, no joy. He mentioned awhile ago that once Leupold got around to finalizing the prototype he would do so.

I've already seen this optic advertised in a Leupold periodical so I figure they must be beyond prototyping and into production. Leupold's website shows several pics of "new for 07" products, and they say the website will be updated some time in Feb. Just wondering if you had any info yet, or if you could get it from Leupold.

No other info than it is a 1X14 and comes with 3 different height mounting bases.

C4

RAM Engineer
01-08-07, 17:27
Dumb question: What is the point of this optic? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really trying to understand here. What market niche does it fill?

DrMark
01-08-07, 17:30
SMGLee's pics of the prototype on TOS show an EOTech-like reticle.

C4IGrant
01-08-07, 17:37
Dumb question: What is the point of this optic? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really trying to understand here. What market niche does it fill?

When/if your Aimpoint/EOTech goes down you have to go to your BUIS's. This has etched cross hairs so if the battery goes down, you still have cross hairs. The only problem with that, is if the battery in this optic fails and its at night your still SOL.

C4

C4IGrant
01-08-07, 17:38
SMGLee's pics of the prototype on TOS show an EOTech-like reticle.

Yes. I just hope they didn't make the center dot some huge size (like 8 MOA).

C4

jmart
01-08-07, 17:41
It has an EoTech-like reticule and while it incorporates battery illumination, it isn't reliant on it. I guess it incorportaes an etched-in retiicule, so while it would work in day time, not sure how it would work at night time. I don't think there's any tritium illumination incorporated.

Essentially it's Leupold's answer to Aimpoint/Eotech, I guess their point is, even though Aimpoint has outstanding battery life, it's still reliant on electronics so it isn't fool proof.

The reticule will be sized differently than the reticule in their CQT. The outer ring of the CQT, being a 2nd focal plane design, spans over 200 MOA at 1X. At the same time, the center dot spans 9 MOA. Jerrod said the Prismatic's reticule will be smaller than that, but he didn't say how much.

No idea what the battery life is on this or what type of battery it takes.

The mount heights are supposed to allow various degrees of cowitnessing.

55Kingpin
01-08-07, 19:22
How much scratch is that gonna set me back? Is it a 30mm tube? Water resistant or waterproof? Battery Life?

jmart
01-08-07, 20:36
How much scratch is that gonna set me back? Is it a 30mm tube? Water resistant or waterproof? Battery Life?

Around $400-450, w/mount is what I have heard.

Yes on the tube.

I'm sure it's waterproof.

No idea.

Alpha Sierra
01-08-07, 20:47
Looks like Leupold also has their VX-1 1-4X20 now in FDE as a turkey hunting scope.

paulosantos
01-09-07, 17:43
It is a neat little scope. If it was around $300 it would be a winner.