PDA

View Full Version : Just want to check...

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 01:13
before i take it back to the gun shop.... Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters are garbage and shouldnt be touched with a 60ft pole?

i bought one today thinking that they were really nice holsters and, then i came home, did a search on the web and this sight and found about 90% bad reviews. actually, i take that back, terrible reviews.

after reading the things i read, i decided i think ill just go back to my HSGI snap top molle holster. it might not be quiet as quick as the serpa clean, but when theres dirt and debris around its probably a lot quicker then havin to break out the tools to pry my pistol out of its holster.

so unless yall convince me otherwise, its goin back. the HSGI is already back on my belt. when i get the money ill get a safariland. i wanted an ALS actually but they dont make it for the beretta 92

tpd223
05-18-09, 04:05
I used to carry Serpas, I'm using the ALS system now.

NCPatrolAR
05-18-09, 07:13
THere is an ALS holster for the M9. I ordered one several months ago.

John_Wayne777
05-18-09, 07:30
before i take it back to the gun shop.... Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters are garbage and shouldnt be touched with a 60ft pole?

i bought one today thinking that they were really nice holsters and, then i came home, did a search on the web and this sight and found about 90% bad reviews. actually, i take that back, terrible reviews.

I've read about two types of issues with the SERPA:

1. Grit and gravel can get lodged under the release button, locking the weapon in the holster.

2. Safety issues, meaning people tracing AD's to the use of the holster.

I don't know how legitimate issue number 2 is. I've never used a SERPA for anything serious so I'll leave that to those better qualified to speak on it. That being said, some of the people voicing those concerns or reporting those sorts of issues are switched on...not your average gunstore yahoo.

When i get the money ill get a safariland. i wanted an ALS actually but they dont make it for the beretta 92

I'm pretty sure Safariland does make the ALS for the M9/92.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 08:33
i was interested in the open top ALS holster as it doesent have the strap to move out of the way, it seems like it would make for a faster draw.

knock on wood, but, i havent had any concerns with shooting my self with my 92 because of drawing it from a SERPA. my trigger finger never comes close to going inside the trigger guard, one reason i loved the serpa when i tried it out at the gun shop was that it put my finger exactly where i normally have it when i draw.

what concerns me however is the gun becomming jammed because of the locking mechanism getting dirty. i read a thread on here however where the safariland ALS suffered the same problem when gravel was introduced into its locking mechanism?

is the SERPA really as bad as some people say it is? i thought blackhawk made some good gear? i know not all their stuff it top notch but i thought the serpa holsters were supposed to be winners.

Iraq Ninja
05-18-09, 08:38
Blackhawk used to be the company you went to for gear... a long time ago. I once had a serpa and it jammed up with grit and dirt.

That said, you would not believe how popular they are over here with the soldiers. I see them everywhere and not only being worn by the fobbits, but the those who go outside the wire.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 08:48
at first sight it seems like a very well constructed holster, and a great design, when buying i didnt have the foresight to imagine it might jam up. im a little tempted to hang on to this thing, it was 45 bucks, and just test it.

iraq ninja, what would you recommend for a duty holster? something to be open carried, courses, range, etc. safariland 6004? where can i find one though? they seem pretty pricey!

ST911
05-18-09, 09:00
The Serpa is popular and sells well. That's doesn't mean it's GTG. Use by LE and military doesn't make it GTG either. Folks don't buy gear because of their deliberate contemplation of product merits and liabilities, they buy mostly because of slick marketing and seeing what their buddies or colleagues are using.

Fobus and CAA gear is quite popular in places, too.

Keep your use minimal and expectations low to minimize disappointment.

NCPatrolAR
05-18-09, 09:12
at first sight it seems like a very well constructed holster, and a great design, when buying i didnt have the foresight to imagine it might jam up. im a little tempted to hang on to this thing, it was 45 bucks, and just test it.

iraq ninja, what would you recommend for a duty holster? something to be open carried, courses, range, etc. safariland 6004? where can i find one though? they seem pretty pricey!

You can buy a used 6280 for the M9, place it on an extended plate/ mount it to a MOLLE thigh platform, and run with it

Sam
05-18-09, 09:21
THere is an ALS holster for the M9. I ordered one several months ago.

You have an M9? :) I just noticed you're now a moderator. I'd better stay on topic before you ban my ass.

ToddG
05-18-09, 09:21
I'd spend my own money on a Safariland ALS rather than use a free SERPA.

NCPatrolAR
05-18-09, 09:27
You have an M9? :) I just noticed you're now a moderator. I'd better stay on topic before you ban my ass.

Don't make me strike you down in a display of my awesome mod powers; muwhahahaha. ;)

Anyways, I've had a personal 92 for going on a year. Unlike others, I enjoyed using a M9 when I was on active duty and scooped up a police trade-in 92 for $250

John_Wayne777
05-18-09, 09:36
Since we're on the topic of 92's:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/92fs.jpg

You know you want it....

decodeddiesel
05-18-09, 09:38
Blackhawk used to be the company you went to for gear... a long time ago. I once had a serpa and it jammed up with grit and dirt.

That said, you would not believe how popular they are over here with the soldiers. I see them everywhere and not only being worn by the fobbits, but the those who go outside the wire.

I carried my M9 in a SERPA across the top of my IBA for a while in 2006 in and around Mahmudiyah. It was great until the first time I had to hit the dirt (literally) and landed in a 4 inch deep puddle of "moon dust". Even after extensive blowing out with compressed air from an LMTV and even rinsing it with water I ended up having to have the armorer cut my pistol out of the holster with a Dremel tool. :eek: From that point on I ponied up for a Safariland 6004 out of my own pocket.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 09:41
im left handed, i did just speak with safariland and yall are absolutely right, they make an ALS for the m9, for some reason it wasnt listed on the site though?

being left handed, this complicates things a bit. can anybody give me a good site to order one off of?

Edit: the 6280 has the SLS on top correct? the one im lookin for is model number 6354-73-132 and uses the ALS, its open top.

NCPatrolAR
05-18-09, 09:56
im left handed, i did just speak with safariland and yall are absolutely right, they make an ALS for the m9, for some reason it wasnt listed on the site though?

being left handed, this complicates things a bit. can anybody give me a good site to order one off of?

Edit: the 6280 has the SLS on top correct? the one im lookin for is model number 6354-73-132 and uses the ALS, its open top.

the 6280 only has the SLS hood.

Check Copquest for the ALS holster

Iraq Ninja
05-18-09, 10:01

Well, I am no expert but I do have to wear this stuff everyday and stake my life on if it works or not. One reason the Serpa is so popular here is because it locks the pistol in the holster. People are probably more worried about it falling out and loosing it than having to draw and fight with it. Most of them are officers and are required to have one on them at all times, unlike the enlisted folks who drag around their M4s inside the FOB.

Police officers is the States are more likely to draw a pistol in anger than anyone over here. If all you have to worry about is slowly drawing your pistol at the clearing barrel, then the Serpa is ok for that.

As for a duty holster, depends what your duty is. For low profile work, I love the Raven holster. I also have a custom made leather holster by Wells Made that has worked well too. I used to use a drop leg 6004 holster and it always worked. I have since switched to a vest mounted holster in a rather plain HSGI cordura rig... probably the same one you used to use. It is nothing fancy, but it doesn't break when I throw my body to the prone.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 10:12
thanks iraq ninja! im lookin at the ALS or mabey a 6004, belt or drop leg, i wanna try both. im joining the coast guard so one thing i have in mind would be to use this as a duty holster. until then though it would be used for range work and mabey a course here and there.

ToddG
05-18-09, 10:13
You know the Coast Guard carries the SIG P229R DAK in .40 and not an M9, right?

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 10:22
Todd, no i was totally unaware of that, i guess i stuck my foot in my mouth on that one! Ive seen a lot of pics of coasties carrying M9's and was under the impression thats what they carried.

is the 229 DAK double action only? i dont know much about the DAK trigger.

EDIT: todd, i just read some about the DAK trigger. DAO, 6.5lb pull. is the pull a long pull or a short pull like on a glock? do you like the DAK setup?

ToddG
05-18-09, 10:40
USCG began transitioning to the SIG in '05.
For a discussion of the DAK, start here (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30461).

epf
05-18-09, 10:41
I agree, the SERPA should be avoided

I also used a SERPA ( both IBA and belt) for over a year in Iraq. Belt inside the wire and IBA mounted everyday outside the wire. This included tons of dry fire and draw/presentation practice. Mine had no issues.

That said, I saw several just fall apart. The locking mechanism was just falling out of the "dop leg models" and I saw an entire holster just come apart during some light rough-housing between 2 junior soldiers...nothing that should have caused that.

A personal pet-peeve is that the drop leg model is designed to hang on your knee unless you are 9 feet tall or perform some serious modification.

I am now back to my 6004. Just my .02