PDA

View Full Version : Numbered shape targets

rob_s
05-18-09, 07:18
I know I've seen them somewhere before, either to buy or to download. Something like 6-12 different shapes on the page, all colored and numbered, and there are random distributions of each so that the targets can be varied...

Any help?

Steve
05-18-09, 08:01
Rob I get them from letargets.com

rob_s
05-18-09, 08:07
I can't seem to get them into my cart there.

Maybe I'll just make some up and print them at on the work copier.

C4IGrant
05-18-09, 08:35
Rob I get them from letargets.com

These are where I get mine.

I like these targets a lot as it gets the shooter stressed and makes them think before they shoot.

C4

John_Wayne777
05-18-09, 09:21
Or you could just put some geometric shapes up and yell at them....

"Spongebob! Krabby Patty! Delta!!!"

C4IGrant
05-18-09, 09:24
Or you could just put some geometric shapes up and yell at them....

"Spongebob! Krabby Patty! Delta!!!"

Uhm Ya. Those names only work at Vickers classes. ;)

The fact that LAV knows the names of all the Sponge Bob characters should tell us what is (partially) wrong with him. :D

C4

ToddG
05-18-09, 09:35
I like these targets a lot as it gets the shooter stressed and makes them think before they shoot.

And that is precisely what they're good for. Too many people think that numbered/shaped targets equate to "judgmental shooting" challenges. You're not making any kind of assessment or decision. You're locating a number/shape on command.

But as Grant said, it does add stress and more importantly it uses up some brain power. The more brain power being used for such things, the less the shooter has for conscious application of hard skills (sight alignment, trigger press, etc.) and thus you get an idea of what that person is capable of when he doesn't have the time/calm to focus on his technique.

rob_s
05-18-09, 09:52
We'll be using them the same way we do everything else, with crawl->walk->run (if we even get to run). This will all be carbine.

We'll do single rounds in the shape/number/color called out while stationary from standing. Then we'll go to hammers. Then we'll add multiple aiming points like "four, two" or "red, yellow" or even "square, one".

Then I want to start to introduce the turn, with shooters turned 90 degrees to the target, turning to find and engage the shape/number/color called out by first looking with their head then completing the turn with the carbine/body to engage the proper target. We may get to a 180 degree turn if we don't have any questionable safety issues to that point.

Eventually we'll start to add the stress of the clock if we get to it. Shortening par times as we go.

I wish we had a 360 range as I'd love to put a shooter with targets to either side, and call out "left triangle" or "right blue" or "front four", etc. But we'll make do with what we have.