PDA

View Full Version : Assessment from a class

ToddG
05-18-09, 10:37
Since there will likely be no AAR for the closed class I did this past weekend, I thought it was worth mentioning the guns and how they worked. The class was held in NE Montana.

Two SIG P229-357. These were DA/SA guns used by two Highway Patrolmen. As best I could tell, they never had any stoppages. One was used to score a perfect 50 on the Dot Torture drill (23 out of 50 shots are double action). One student commented that it was his first SA shot, not the DA shot, that he seemed to throw most often. This is pretty common in my experience and we worked on a drill to help overcome it.

One SIG P220. This was a "transient" student who only shot half of D1 due to being on call with the Sheriff's Office. Gun had multiple failures to go into battery and on two occasions produced a very minor firing pin mark low on the primer as the hammer dropped without the gun being fully in battery. Examination of the gun led me to ask the owner if he was familiar with the phrase popcorn fart. After lubrication, gun ran fine.

One Springfield XD with manual safety. Gun ran fine to the best of my knowledge.

One G20. Gun ran well except for one minor problem. It had a kB! on D1. I've got the cartridge case and will post pics later. No signs of overpressure at the primer. However, it was a reload and odds are that the case web had been worked through a Glock without a supported chamber one or more times previously. Mag flew out of the gun and the shooter's hand stung a bit but there was no other immediately obvious damage. Shooter continued to use this pistol throughout the rest of the course.

One G17. I did not notice any stoppages or other problems.

Two G22. I did not notice any stoppages or other problems. (one of the guns was used for only a small portion of the class; the agent used his G17 for most of the two days)

Two G21. One gun ran fine to the best of my knowledge. The other had repeated failures to go into battery. Ammunition used was commercial reloads.

Four 1911s. I know two were Kimbers. I'm not sure about the others. Three of the four had various reliability issues during the class that I'm aware of; I didn't see any stoppages with the fourth. One of the problem guns improved somewhat after lubrication but was still problematic enough that the Deputy is planning to replace it with a non-1911 this week.

I ran my P30 LEM and it chugged along fine, though I only put 320 rounds through it during the class.

Detmongo
05-18-09, 11:16
Todd,
did the little fed's hands stsrt to hurt from shooting the big .40. i know he is starting to get soft on us.