PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if S&W replaced Todd's M&P9 when the test came to an end?

welshrabbit
05-18-09, 15:55
I hope it was covered by warranty.
Did he do any maintenance like changing the recoil springs at regular intervals?
Thanks

dookie1481
05-18-09, 16:22
Did he do any maintenance like changing the recoil springs at regular intervals?
Thanks

Didn't they give it to him for T&E?

Jay

M4arc
05-18-09, 16:39
He should be along shortly to answer your questions directly but up until he started the P30 test he was still shooting his M&P but S&W replaced the slide.

ToddG
05-18-09, 17:01
Thanks

The original plan was to change every part as instructed according to their maintenance plan. Logistics didn't comply, however, and instead all that got replaced on schedule was the recoil spring. The gun also got a check-up every 20k and most scheduled parts were replaced at that time. Some parts, like the trigger spring (which eventually broke) and the slide release lever (which eventually broke) did not get replaced when they were supposed to.

I had the option of having the gun replaced or keeping it. Obviously, I chose to keep it.

Smith provided a replacement slide and it's been chugging along ever since.

welshrabbit
05-18-09, 17:20
Todd, could you share with us what the maintenance schedule is please? How often and for what parts?

ToddG
05-18-09, 17:34
welshrabbit, I'm sorry but it's covered by an NDA. It's the same schedule they release to LE agencies, just expanded to cover 50,000 rounds.

edited to add: before anyone reads something sinister into that, it makes perfect sense. Let's suppose there was a part in a handgun called a thingamajig. If Smith recommends replacing the thingamajig every 15,000 rounds then someone is going to explain that his personally owned Glock has gone 20,000 rounds without replacing the thingamajig, so the Glock is obviously superior. Or a company will artificially inflate its numbers saying that its thingamajigs go 20,000 and so they're better than the S&W thingamajig ... and when someone's thingamajig breaks, they'll call it a fluke. (this already happens to some extent with the warranties offered to LE agencies)