PDA

View Full Version : On Government handgun procurement...

Slater
05-18-09, 16:52
On relatively smaller buys such as this one for the FBI:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=6040adb26e02ae4112a3294083abd98d&tab=core&_cview=0

Does Glock itself usually win these awards or do smaller vendors/shops also participate?

ToddG
05-18-09, 17:05
Any legitimate vendor can respond. Since Glock probably sells to the FBI at a price below distributor cost, though, it's unlikely the bid will be won by anyone except Glock.

When I was still at SIG, ATF did a similar procurement for about $1M worth of P226R, P229R, and P239 pistols. Some guy in Florida under bid SIG by a substantial margin. The problem was that (1) he wasn't a SIG authorized distributor and (2) he hadn't bothered to call us for pricing. After he placed his bid, he communicated the price he'd offered and informed us what price he would be paying SIG for the guns (less than $350 as I recall). At which point we informed him he was on crack.

DMR
05-18-09, 21:13
It depends, but the system is usualy stacked against the little guys. Past performance data, pricing, ect make it hard for the small firm to get in. The hoops required are enough to put off many firms. I've filled out hours worth of paper work for orders that are about the same size.

I'd bet on Glock or perhaps one of the BIG distirbutors with a prefered relationship with Glock getting the bid.

cathellsk
05-18-09, 22:18
Did you see what the contract was for?

Brand name only will be accepted. The requirement is for the following weapons/pistols:

1) 100 each: Glock 19, 9 mm pistols, w/Trijicon Tritium night sights, extended mag catch and slide stop, smooth trigger, and 6 magazines