PDA

View Full Version : CAT/DBT RVA3A Level IIIa Soft Body Armor

DocGKR
05-18-09, 19:55
We recently tested the CAT/DBT RVA3A Level IIIa soft body armor made of Kelvar XLT backed by Kevlar XP for a LE agency. This agency requires their soft body armor to meet the FBI Body Armor Protocol. In addition, they have a specific test requirement using various duty rounds. The CAT/DBT RVA3A duty round test was conducted on Friday 15 May 2009.

Front panel was shot with the following:

9 mm 147 gr Fed HST--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet
.40 S&W 180 gr Fed HST--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet
.45 ACP 230 gr +P Fed HST--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet

9 mm 127 gr +P+ Win RA9TA--1 round contact shot
.44 Mag 240 gr Win Partition--1 round contact shot

Photo of front panel after test shots noted below:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/82397-RVA3A_frontpanel.jpg

Back panel was shot with the following:

9 mm 147 gr Win RA9T--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet
.40 S&W 180 gr Win RA40T--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet
.45 ACP 230 gr +P Win RA45TP--3 rounds in a 3" circle from 10 feet

9mm 147 gr Fed HST--multiple shots in 3" circle from 10 feet until vest penetration occurs (vest failed on shot #36)

The CAT/DBT RVA3A soft armor passed all test protocols.

Interestingly, the CAT/DBT QVA3A armor previously tested and approved by the LE agency was the best soft armor we have tested prior to this RVA3A test; during the shoot to failure test, the QVA3A failed on shot #33 with a full frank penetration, while the new RVA3A lasted until shot #36--in addition, the last shot was still entangled within the fibers of the vest on the RVA3A vest, as noted in the photo below:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/82399-RVA3A_shot36.jpg

I believe the CAT/DBT RVA3A vest to be the best soft armor we have ever tested. Congratulations to DBT on such a fine product! It will greatly enhance the safety of LE officers.

Leatherneck556
05-19-09, 22:47
Doc, I understand that the protective qualities are superior to any other armor that you've tested, but are there any other advantages, such as in weight savings?

PlatoCATM
05-20-09, 00:14
I found this article on Imminent Threat Solutions while scouring for more info on this vest:
http://www.itstactical.com/2009/04/08/soft-body-armor/
(http://www.itstactical.com/2009/04/08/soft-body-armor/)

Remember, armor that passes the FBI Body Armor Test Protocol and 100% woven p-aramid vests may be a bit thicker, but they offer substantially more protection than many other vests on the market. Officer’s need to know that lighter, thinner, more expensive vests are NOT necessarily offering better protection. In addition, 100% woven p-aramid armor has demonstrated very long service lives.

It sounds like it is worth the extra cost especially if you need the capabilities of resisting contact shots, i.e. for LE duties.

I hope this was alright to hotlink, Doc, as you are the main reference for the testing.

DocGKR
05-20-09, 00:35
Leatherneck556: What is the difference in weight between various soft body armor packages? Do you think saving a few ounces is really going to make that much difference? Most folks could save dozens of ounces, if not pounds, looking at other aspects of their gear, as well as body mass...

PlatoCATM: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19912

DocHolliday01
05-20-09, 01:52
Doc, Sorry if I missed it but do you have a link to This vest on DBT's website? I looked around and put the model number in the search engine on their site and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help.

DocGKR
05-20-09, 02:18
It is a brand new model, it is NOT on the DBT website yet...like Eagle and others, a lot of their cool stuff in not online...

DocHolliday01
05-20-09, 02:41
It is a brand new model, it is NOT on the DBT website yet...like Eagle and others, a lot of their cool stuff in not online...

Ok thanks for the reply, at least now I know I'm not blind. Do you know what pricing is/will be for it?

DocGKR
05-20-09, 03:19
I know what they cost when you purchase a few thousand of them at a time, but have no clue the price when purchasing in smaller quantities...generally DBT's prices are quite fair and competitive.

Leatherneck556
05-20-09, 10:00
Doc, I hear you on what you're saying about the weight. I've never believed in sacrificing a needed capability for a few ounces. I suppose that I didn't phrase my original query well; I was really wondering how the RVA3A compared to the QVA3A specifically. Are there any other differences besides the increased level of protection?

DocGKR
05-20-09, 10:12
Roughly the same weight, but the RVA feels thinner and more comfortable to wear--so much so that I have ordered one for myself!

Ak44
10-05-09, 22:26
Doc I shot them (DBT) an email and they asked for an sku code/item number. Do you happen to have it for the RVA3A?

Hillbilly
04-17-11, 21:25
sorry to revive an old thread, but is this info. still current and relative in that it is the best yet? thanks

DocGKR
04-17-11, 21:47
The information here is accurate: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19912.

Hillbilly
04-17-11, 21:56
my thanks

Irish
05-25-11, 15:35
Roughly the same weight, but the RVA feels thinner and more comfortable to wear--so much so that I have ordered one for myself!

Doc - Which model did you order? I was looking at their catalog and was curious which carrier you went with? The reason I ask is that in another thread you stated that 1 wide strap was preferable to 2 thin straps and it appears that is all they offer.

(1) wide side closure strap on each side rather than two (2) smaller ones is a good idea.

Thanks again for all your insight, advice and technical expertise you share with us here.

TroyTK
05-28-11, 18:47
I was looking at their catalog and was curious which carrier you went with? The reason I ask is that in another thread you stated that 1 wide strap was preferable to 2 thin straps and it appears that is all they offer.

I bought a vest and carriers at the DBT showroom in Phoenix. After you decide what carrier you want, you just choose which type of strap you want. The straps are not sewn on; they have velcro on both sides.

Irish
05-29-11, 11:17
I bought a vest and carriers at the DBT showroom in Phoenix. After you decide what carrier you want, you just choose which type of strap you want. The straps are not sewn on; they have velcro on both sides.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll be stopping by their showroom next month when I'm in that area.

Burt Gummer
06-02-11, 13:48
Just got off the phone with a DBT rep. He informed me that RVA3A is being discontinued.

Any independent testing done on their Synergy panels?

Evolution247
09-09-11, 10:49
I'd love to know which product is considered "the optimum" level 3A armor? Thanks in advance.

learner-gr
03-09-12, 09:05
Have a look here :
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CAT-QVA_ADVISORY-NOTICE_022212S.pdf
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/NIJ_CAT-Response.pdf
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CAT-QVA_FAQS_022312S.pdf

DocGKR
08-16-12, 23:47
ADVISORY NOTICE – Diamondback Tactical Responds to Initial Testing of Lot-Specific Armor Vests
July 31, 2012

Product Style: Custom Armor Technologies
Product Model: QVA-3A-1
Lot Number: 400010122119 – 1000076399
Date of Manufacture: May 2008

The purpose of this advisory notice is to update users of Custom Armor Technologies (CAT) QVA3A ballistic vests regarding the results of tests conducted on a lot-specific CAT vest by an independent laboratory and witnessed by the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center (NLECTC), on behalf of Diamondback Tactical, LLLP. Diamondback Tactical is the owner of the CAT brand.

On February 17, 2012, Diamondback Tactical was informed of a test related to the ballistic performance of a CAT QVA sold to a member of the Phoenix Police Department in 2008. On February 21, 2012, Diamondback Tactical received information from the Phoenix Police Department, the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA), and Oregon Ballistics Laboratory (OBL) about the test, which was conducted by OBL.

To ensure the performance integrity of CAT QVA vests manufactured in the same lot as the vest purchased by the Phoenix police officer, Diamondback Tactical conducted a series of independent tests on CAT QVA vests from the same manufacturing lot. Each vest was subjected to new, unused testing by the HP White Laboratory in accordance with its original certification based on the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) Standard-0101.04. HP White Laboratory is the same ballistic laboratory that performed the original NIJ 0101.04 Level IIIA certification testing for the new, unused armor.

Diamondback Tactical in conjunction with a representative from NLECTC witnessed the ballistic testing of the used vests at HP White in accordance with NIJ 0101.04. The 9mm used V50 test performed at a velocity of 1800 fps, as compared to the original (new) 9mm V50 test velocity of 1835 fps. The test results indicate that the CAT QVA vests performed as expected and were well within acceptable standard deviation range.

While the NIJ Standard-0101.04 did not reference requirements for V50 testing against a .44 Magnum round at the time of its release (Sept. 2000), HP White Laboratory performed velocity testing on the used CAT QVA vest with a .44 Magnum round. The used CAT QVA vest significantly exceeded the required performance threshold against the .44 Magnum with an average V50 of 1,665 fps, which is 205 fps more than the upper V0 reference velocity of 1460 fps. Lastly, the .44 Magnum V0 reference velocity P-BFS test was performed with all 12 shots (6-front/ 6-Back), and all were stopped by the CAT QVA vest with an average backface deformation of 41mm.

Independent tests of the lot-specific used vests that were the subject of this testing conclusively support the Level IIIA performance of the CAT QVA vest as originally certified in accordance with the NIJ Standard-0101.04. Additionally, independent tests support the extended performance of the QVA-3A-1 beyond its new state.

In concurrence with the NIJ, the Office of Law Enforcement Standards (OLES), and a number of professional law enforcement associations, Diamondback Tactical encourages all users to perform frequent inspections of their body armor, to ensure panels and carriers are in good condition.