PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service

Mr. W
05-18-09, 22:16
Hello,
I was wondering which of the following have good customer service and lifetime warranties?

I have heard that S&W has the best service going these days and their warranty is lifetime is this true? I would also like to know about Glock and HK? Are either of these companies known for being difficult to deal with in the event of a problem?

Thanks

John_Wayne777
05-19-09, 00:03
Oddly enough, I don't know what S&W's warranty is currently.

What I can tell you is that whenever I've had a problem they've done a good job of dealing with it no matter what I've sent in. I sent in a 3913 that had some issues years ago and they replaced the barrel and sighted the weapon in for me. They had it back to me in two weeks.

...and that was before the new owners took over. The company as a whole has improved since then.

Glock's customer service is reported to be satisfactory by most who have had the need to use it. There have been many horror stories about H&K, but when I question people who say "H&K: Because you suck and we hate you." about their personal experience with H&K CS, I don't get solid answers.

JiMfraRED1911
05-19-09, 00:28
GLOCK has a solid reputation for good CS.

HK has been known to be rubbish in the PAST. Now? I dunno. Maybe I should pick up a HK45 or a squeeze cocker to find out for myself.

YMMV.

Cypselus
05-19-09, 09:44
I've dealt with Glock service twice. Both times were satisfactory. I've never personally tried to get service for an HK. Trying to get their guns was an adventure, but that was in the 1990s, and may have changed. S&W has always been great to deal with, both personally, and when I worked in a gun shop.

Mr. W
05-19-09, 11:33
Okay thanks.
Over on the HK forum I noticed that people did not seem to think it was such a difficult thing to get help from HK. But I got the impression maybe they required you to pay to send them your pistol, unlike S&W.

Glock is who I am really curious about now. If one did not mail in the little card within one week is one on his own when dealing with repairs?

ST911
05-19-09, 17:05
I've never had a manufacturer refuse to service, or charge me to repair, a firearm or component thereof even when out of warranty. That includes both defects and failures due to normal wear and tear. I don't even consider warranties, or lack thereof, in purchases. It's a gun after all, not a house or a car.

I've had excellent customer service from most manufacturers, with a few isolated exceptions. Those who most regularly exceed my expectations, usually by a substantial margin, are Glock, S&W, and Ruger. The balance are at least acceptable.

I've watched several manufacturers repair guns they shouldn't, due to user abuse, WECSOG, or warranty claims based upon lies.

HK service and support has historically sucked, but I don't do much with them anymore and my experience is a bit dated. Back then, best results were from trained and experienced armorers obtaining parts from secondary suppliers. Colleagues still afflicted with HKs note some change for the better, but still considerable lag behind the competition.

Cypselus
05-20-09, 09:32
Okay thanks.
Over on the HK forum I noticed that people did not seem to think it was such a difficult thing to get help from HK. But I got the impression maybe they required you to pay to send them your pistol, unlike S&W.

Glock is who I am really curious about now. If one did not mail in the little card within one week is one on his own when dealing with repairs?
I've never bought a new Glock. ;) They replaced my G19's (of which I am at least the third owner) broken locking block and did some "upgrades" (don't call it a recall!) when I sent it in. I should have thought to to ask for a shipping tag, but didn't. Actually, I should just have ordered the parts myself. You live and learn...

What's WECSOG?

DRich
05-20-09, 09:43
What's WECSOG?

Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing.

Aristogeiton
05-20-09, 14:02
I had to send a pistol back to S&W and was very please. They paid for shipping both ways and I got it back in less than a week. :D

JonInWA
05-20-09, 15:08
Glock's customer support, both by reputation and in my personal experience has been absolutely superb. Glock goes out of their way to provide aftermarket support to both LE and civilian owners. Their primary support vehicles include factory (Tech/Warranty/Customer Service/Parts) at Smyrna, GA, easily accessable by phone or fax), field support via nationwide coverage provided by a network of District Managers and assistants-who interface directly with customers/supported organizations, and provide Armorer services at GSSF matches at no charge to participants for service/parts replacement.

Glock also provides extremely competant and qualified instructors for Armorer classes and certification, as well as other instruction nationwide-and now Armorer course participation and certification is available to civilian GSSF members.

Best, Jon

YVK
05-20-09, 17:27
Having gone through HK CS late last year, I'd say it was a mixed experience at best.

Folks on HK forums swore by a guy named Travis who had done good things at HK CS. He apparently left to Ruger since.

Here is my summary:

Negatives:

-phone messages won't get answered; you need to email or get lucky to catch a live person
-you pay for shipment, even if your pistol is under lifetime warranty
-replacement of a small part under above warranty took one month
-they don't seem to believe that customer's explanation can make sense; my P7 came back with diagnosis of "dirty piston chamber" and on the next range session jammed for good so it had to go back; again, I had to pay, even though the pistol just was in their hands

Positives:
-A rep by name Linc appears to be caring and understanding. When I voiced my disappointment with needing to send gun back for a second time on my own dime, he said he "would try to do something for me". The pistol came back nearly completely refurbished, with new barrel and piston, along with 2 new springs. I think that the barrel and piston replaced to "compensate"me, and I did appreciate that.