PDA

View Full Version : Question about Troy Rails...MRF or DI

boondocksaint
05-19-09, 21:35
I can't seem to find the difference between the Troy MRF rail and the DI rail...

What's the difference (besides about $70)? I know the DI uses the existing Delta ring and the MRF version replaces it....but other than that I don't know the difference :confused:

The only thing I could find on the Troy website was that the MRF version ..."only adds 4 oz of weight..."

Just trying to make an informed decision, so I can decide which to get.

txbonds
05-20-09, 05:37
I can't seem to find the difference between the Troy MRF rail and the DI rail...

What's the difference (besides about $70)? I know the DI uses the existing Delta ring and the MRF version replaces it....but other than that I don't know the difference :confused:

The only thing I could find on the Troy website was that the MRF version ..."only adds 4 oz of weight..."

Just trying to make an informed decision, so I can decide which to get.

The MRF is a free float tube, whereas the DI is not.

boondocksaint
05-20-09, 11:01
The MRF is a free float tube, whereas the DI is not.

Ok. Thanks. So, what are the benefits of having a free float tube or not? :confused:

(I searched through the knowledge based threads and wasn't able to land on a thread explaining this...though I'm sure there is one :D)

txbonds
05-20-09, 11:27
Ok. Thanks. So, what are the benefits of having a free float tube or not? :confused:

(I searched through the knowledge based threads and wasn't able to land on a thread explaining this...though I'm sure there is one :D)

Free float doesn't touch the barrel, so in theory it helps create a higher degree of accuracy. However, depeding on overall setup of rifle, the degree of improvement may be subjective from what I've found.

jp0319
05-23-09, 03:36
Free float doesn't touch the barrel, so in theory it helps create a higher degree of accuracy. However, depeding on overall setup of rifle, the degree of improvement may be subjective from what I've found.

True on the accuracy comment but the most benefit comes from hard use. ie torqing down on a vfg, using a bipod, or sling etc. I have been told that torqing down on a vfg can shift poa as much a 4" at 100 yds I havent tested the theory. If you dont use a vfg or a bipod then its really personal preference I suppose.

LMTRocks
05-24-09, 16:29
Free float is a little harder to install, as the delta ring must be cut off...
Free floating is the method to make sure the barrel doesn't move when it's starting to get hot. I have the MRF-R 12" rail on my LMT and it's a nice setup. I have enough room to attach a bipod to the end and a VFG closer to the lower receiver and a light/laser/magnified optic on the rail without putting any pressure on the barrel whatsoever. Every AR I have from here on out will always have a free-float rail or tube system...there isn't a good enough reason for me to put something that affects accuracy...

BigPaulie
05-25-09, 17:54
Not to mention free floating also prevents barrel droop that has busted off allot of bolt lugs due to the headspace being out of wack. Seen this happen to about 10 M-4's in 1SFG. Mainly because the gov't issue M-4 has M-203's, Peq-2's or PAQ-5's, flashlights, VFG's and who knows what else. It is all putting pressure on the barrel/chamber where it meets the upper.

dookie1481
07-13-09, 22:02
Not to mention free floating also prevents barrel droop that has busted off allot of bolt lugs due to the headspace being out of wack. Seen this happen to about 10 M-4's in 1SFG. Mainly because the gov't issue M-4 has M-203's, Peq-2's or PAQ-5's, flashlights, VFG's and who knows what else. It is all putting pressure on the barrel/chamber where it meets the upper.

Whoa, really?

Jay

dl851
07-16-09, 11:42
I was looking at the same rails as well.

I was wondering how the Daniels Defense 7" Omega rail can be free floating without any modifications like cutting off the delta ring. How is theirs different from the Troy free floating one to where it can be installed without a gunsmith?

Captains1911
07-16-09, 15:29
I was looking at the same rails as well.

I was wondering how the Daniels Defense 7" Omega rail can be free floating without any modifications like cutting off the delta ring. How is theirs different from the Troy free floating one to where it can be installed without a gunsmith?

The DD Omega is free floating rail, the Troy MRF-DI is not. Both are 2-piece rails that clamp onto the barrel nut and under the delta ring. The Troy however also positively connects to the handguard cap similar to the standard plastic handguards, whereas the DD omega does not.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65

dl851
07-16-09, 15:32
Ok, I understand now. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

The DD Omega is free floating rail, the Troy MRF-DI is not. Both are 2-piece rails that clamp onto the barrel nut and under the delta ring. The Troy however also positively connects to the handguard cap similar to the standard plastic handguards, whereas the DD omega does not.

Captains1911
07-16-09, 15:36
Ok, I understand now. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

after reading your question again I realized you were asking about the Troy MRF (not the MRF-DI). The Troy MRF is a one piece rail and requires the removal of major components too install, whereas the DD Omega is a 2-piece, making installation a breeze. I run a Troy MRF-DI on my Colt 6920 and love it, it is very solid. If I wanted to spend a another $100 or so I would have certainly gone with the DD Omega.

rmecapn
07-16-09, 17:06
The Troy MRF is a one piece rail

Negative. The Troy MRF is a two piece, free float system which attaches to the barrel nut and butts up against the upper receiver. That is why the delta ring must be removed. You do not need to remove the barrel from the upper receiver or the FSB from the barrel, however. The MRF-DI is not a free float system and does not clamp to the barrel nut in the same manner as the MRF.

dl851
07-16-09, 17:52
Thanks for the explanation guys.