PDA

View Full Version : Goldilocks and the 2-Position Colt Receiver Extension

Submariner
01-09-07, 16:53
I started converting AR's to carbines back in the late 90's. Quality Parts weren't, by and large, so I began buying Colt parts from YTM (You The Man) and a dealer in New England. Later, the EE on TOS became a well developed market for these parts.

Having been trained to use a mag well hold or VFG way back and standing square to the target, the standard Colt 4 position stock has never been quite right for me: all the way closed is a bit short and position one is too long for me. Being cheap like Harv;) , I've looked for value and found it in a couple of the 2 position extension tubes that Colt put on early CAR's and the 9mm's. We are talking less than $20, delivered. I resolved to just leave the stock closed and deal with it.

One of the things I learned in Dean Caputo's M16/AR15 Operator diagnostics Class is that a Colt receiver extension begins its life as a solid piece of aluminum and is then milled. It occurred to me then that a hole could be drilled in a position more suited to me without damage to or weakening of the receiver extension.

Enter ADCO. I sent two of these receiver extensions to bigbore along with an M4 barrel to have a Vortex permanently attached. I asked that he drill a properly sized hole in the normal first position (halfway between fore and aft holes) and then drill a second hole halfway between closed and the first position.

They came today; one was installed immediately and tested. It's not too short, not too long, but just right. And as you can see from the shiny holes, it really was an aluminum billet.;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/DasBoot56/100_0106.jpg

BZ ADCO!

55Kingpin
01-09-07, 17:30
Brilliant!

SuicideHz
01-09-07, 17:51
Neat! Didn't know they existed...

How about those pinned stocks from during the ban? Have they any holes or would they be a good starting point?

molsen
01-09-07, 18:09
As cheap as 6-position tubes are, why not just replace your tube with these?

Submariner
01-09-07, 19:09
As cheap as 6-position tubes are, why not just replace your tube with these?
Then I would have an extra tube that I would have to sell or it would scream at me to be made into yet another carbine and I'd still have the same problem and less money.:D

Edit:
Neat! Didn't know they existed...

How about those pinned stocks from during the ban? Have they any holes or would they be a good starting point?

I have never seen one.