PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the Glock 35?

kaltblitz
05-20-09, 21:06
If you couldn't tell by my last couple posts I'm considering getting back into Glocks again. I sold off my Glock stash a couple years ago to fund some other stuff (1911's) and am left now with only my Glock 21 and a Glock 17.

I'm considering buying a Glock 35.

Do you think the longer sight radius/slide adds more to accuracy and such?

Do you think these guns are too big?

Do you think they offer any real advantage over a Glock 22?

Tell me what your thoughts on these?

Skter505
05-20-09, 21:40
I have a 34 because I prefer 9mm glocks, but it is otherwise the same. I love the gun, it is not too big, basically the same as a full size 1911 but lighter and it shoots and feels great. I haven't had any isssues with it as it is a glock. If your into 40's then go ahead and get one, you won't regret it.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-20-09, 22:21

Yes, absolutely, though for tactical applications and CCW it doesn't matter enough, 22 is fine

Not for open carry or sport, but for CCW yes

in a match setting yes, in defensive / tactical application, no

I'm a 9mm guy and have a 34 that I absolutely love. Its served me well and its my favorite gun to shoot so I'm a bit biased. I am considering a 35 as well to shoot major in USPSA.

GU

ST911
05-20-09, 22:22
If you couldn't tell by my last couple posts I'm considering getting back into Glocks again. I sold off my Glock stash a couple years ago to fund some other stuff (1911's) and am left now with only my Glock 21 and a Glock 17.

I'm considering buying a Glock 35. Good choice.

Do you think the longer sight radius/slide adds more to accuracy and such? Not really. For some, perhaps.

Do you think these guns are too big? For what? They're not any bigger than most other full-size service pistols. What little they are is in the barrel, which is easier to conceal than extra length in the grip.

Do you think they offer any real advantage over a Glock 22? Nope.

Tell me what your thoughts on these? I prefer 9mm and chose the G34 over the G35. If you prefer the latter, have at it.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/IMG_4331.jpg

Buck
05-21-09, 05:01
My thoughts on the G35 VS the G22 from another thread…
B

The G35 was designed from the get go as a .40, it is not a bored out 9mm... All in all the G35 is the only Glock 40 that I would carry on duty... It does not suffer from some of the short commings of the G22s...

B

The G35 is 0.83 inches longer at the at the muzzle and weighs 1.6 ounces more… This increase in the length and weight of the slide does several things for you…

1) Felt recoil, One of the first things that someone notices going from the G17 to the G22 is the increase in felt recoil… The extra weight at the muzzle greatly reduces the felt recoil… The G35s felt recoil is very similar to that of the G17...

2) Slide speed, The slide speed on the G22 is to fast... The flexing of the frame during firing binds the rails enough to slow the slide down a bit, but if you attach a light, especially a light with a metal body, it greatly stiffens the frame, and reduces the slowing down effect of the frame binding on the rails… The slide is literally traveling so fast that it fails to correctly strip the next round out of the magazine or fails to correctly eject the spent case… Incidentally Glock’s fix for the failure to strip the next round is to add 2 more coils to the springs in the 4th generation magazine giving more upward pressure...

3) Sight radius, Maybe a small thing, but the longer sight radius of the G35, does make a difference when shooting at 25+ meters and lends itself nicely to Heine straight 8s…

4) Slide release, the G35 comes with a working slide release, if you wanted this feature on your G22 you could purchase the part and install it, but it comes standard on the G35...

B

No, I meant they added coils to the spring… What is happening to the rounds in the .40 caliber magazine with the sharp recoil spike of the 22 is this…

As you know, if you take 10 billiard balls and place them all in a line, then strike the ball on one end with the cue ball, the ball most effected is the last ball on the opposite end of the line… The same thing is happening inside a .40 caliber Glock magazine fired out of a G22... The last round is pressing down on the follower, this is causing a slacking of upward pressure in the magazine, which is misaligning the top round in the magazine, that is being hammered by the slide that is traveling very fast, and “sham wow“… You have failure…

Perhaps the term “upward pressure” would be better stated, “able to dampen the kinetic energy of the recoil spike on the ammunition loaded in the magazine that pushes down on the magazine follower, thus providing a more even upward pressure”…

B

P.S. The G35 does not suffer from this…

Here is what I would suggest … The LE price on a new in the box blue dot G35, with three high capacity magazines, the fixed plastic sights , & a 5.5 pound trigger is right around $400... A set of Heine straight 8 night sights, LE price is right around $100, (be sure to get the tallest of the three front sights that Heine offers, this is the correct height for most 180 grain duty loads… ) Buy a Vickers magazine release from tango down , $13, and a surefire X300 light, $250ish… Add a phantom light holster for G35 W/ x300 & magazine carrier from Raven Concealment $100… and you will be good to go…

So that’s:

= $863 ish

All in all I believe this would be a much better investment that will fill all of your needs… If we are talking about a pistol that you are willing to bet your life on, I would sell of the second generation G22 of unknown pedigree to fund a new G35...

B

P.S. The purpose of a pistol is to defend against an unexpected attack…

kaltblitz
05-21-09, 12:16
Any of you guys ever conceal a 34/35?

matthewdanger
05-21-09, 12:38
I have had good luck with my G35 so far. I bought it lightly used about 2 years ago. In that time I have used it in a few courses and generally as a range gun. I even carried it full time for about a year (now it only sees part time carry, splitting duty with my trusty G17).

My impressions have been very positive. I have not had a single bobble yet through about 2400 rounds (just short of that I think). That included strong and weak hand only shooting.

It seems like the .40SW Glocks are under sprung so I have been running a steel guide rod and 20# spring as long as I have had the G35. I am not sure that I truly notice any difference in the recoil because of the spring (my splits didn't really change at the time) but I would like to think that my pins and recoil block will last longer because of it.

The recoil does feel much slower and like more of a "push" than my G22 and feels very smooth compared to my G23 (both the G22 and G23 have steel guide rods and 20# springs as well). I am sure this has more to do with the differences in the weight of the slide.

It would be interesting if someone could do the math on how much of a difference the longer sight radius makes. I do seem to do better at distance with my G35 than the G22. I have at times informally practiced 75-100 yards shots on pepper poppers and generally do measurably better with the G35 (the hold over is minimal). Up close I am not sure I notice a difference. The longer sight radius also seems to work VERY well with the Heinie and Warren Tac sights. I use the Warren 2 dot Sevigny Carry sights on mine and they are a great compliment to the G35.

If I were doing everything over again, I would be tempted to go with a G34 but I am very pleased with the performance of my G35. If you like the .40SW then the G35 is probably the pick of the Glock litter.

matthewdanger
05-21-09, 12:40
Any of you guys ever conceal a 33/34?

I did for a year. It carries just as easily as a G17 or G22 except is a little heavier. The grip is the same as the G17/22 so it conceals the same. It is no problem at all.

NCPatrolAR
05-21-09, 12:44
I've CC'ed a 34 with a mounted light a few times

Buck
05-21-09, 15:44
I CC a G35 with an x300 in a Raven holster daily...

B

koalorka
05-21-09, 16:36

Mathematically yes.

Not at all.

More long range accuracy potential.

Not a true race gun, but it does offer some match-oriented features. For the price, you can't go wrong.

ST911
05-21-09, 21:13
Any of you guys ever conceal a 33/34?

Yup. No problem.

(Esp the subcompact 33. :D)

idreamt...
05-22-09, 00:33
It's cool.

John Hearne
06-14-09, 21:53
I have two friends who I consider serious gunmen who carry 34's and 35's as their CCW guns. The gentleman who carries the 35 is a long time 1911 guy who has gotten out of the 1911 game after shooting a 35 with a grip reduction. As far as 34/35, I'm told that the performance really shines at distance, like 25 yard shots under time pressue. You probably wouldn't notice the difference on a typical qual course but you would if you can shoot.

Heavy Metal
06-14-09, 22:10
Dammit People! Shut Up!!!

I swore I would not buy another Glock for at least a year(Except for a G-20 for a Bear gun). Don't tempt me talking about G-34/35's!!!!!:D

ToddG
06-14-09, 22:36
I know as many people who prefer the G17/G22 as prefer the G34/G35.

The number who actually shoot one better in any measurable way is very close to zero.

Ray T
06-14-09, 22:56
Any of you guys ever conceal a 34/35?

Yes, when it was my main off duty pistol. My current off duty pistol is a Glock 20SF. I never had any problem concealing a full size pistol.

Surf
06-14-09, 23:31
I have a G22, G27 and a G21SF. I decided to add a 9mm Glock and went with a G34. I really do like the pistol a lot, coming from a 1911 person. I would love to have a G35 also, but if they came out with a .45ACP version, I would be all over it.

Here is a size comparison of my G34 to my STI Tac 5.0. Never mind the Sesame Street gun mat, my 3 year old was field stripping and cleaning them. :)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/2011G34.jpg

Failure2Stop
06-15-09, 00:20
I play USPSA with mine, and it works just fine even with a bunch of crap stuck to it and fed from 19/20 round mags. Every now and then I wish I had gone with the 34, especially when buying ammo, but that gets slightly diminished when I barely break the "A" zone with the .40, which would have been a "C" with a 9mm. Then again, with a 9mm I might not have pushed that round out that far to start with.

The only other thing I use it for is as a "door gun" when vehicle-bound. It snaps out HST with a mounted X300 with 0 issues from an extended mag. I am usually one of the first people to tell others not to count on "game" extended mags, but mine have worked with nary a hiccup (knocks on wood).

trio
06-15-09, 01:16
i guess I will give a bit of a different take on this...as a disclaimer, I am a 9mm guy, so my experience comes with the G17/34

Personally, I'd rather have the G17/22 size gun for everyday use...

here are my reasons

1) In a CCW venue the difference in accuracy is negligible

2) I do believe there is a pretty big difference in concealability....if you are carrying IWB this is mitigated, but if you are like me, your primary CCW dress is: a) strong side OWB belt holster, b) T shirt tucked in, c) overshirt (or other concealment garment) untucked so it hangs down and conceals the weapon

if you are carrying a G34/35 OWB the extra length really does hang down below where your concealment garment is...

3) Holsters....you can get a lot of good holsters for the 34/35...but its easier to get them for the 17/22

4) Finally, there IS a weight difference....you may not be as weight sensitive as I am, but when I put cell phones, knife, keys, wallet, spare mag, flashlight, change, etc in my various pockets, a couple of ounces is noticeable

I don't game/compete, so there is no appeal for me to have that a 34/35 for that reason

I should also say that, since I am a 9mm guy, I am not as familiar as other posters about the performance of the 35 vs the 22 with rail mounted lights....that would be significant for me though

anyway, just a little devil's advocate there....

Shotdown
06-15-09, 02:39
I must be the oddball because I didn't feel a difference in felt recoil between the 35 and the 23. I've been shooting the g23 for the past three years in competition so I'm pretty comfortable with it. I sold the 35 and got a g19 instead. My g23 has an X300 attached and I've had no issues with it. My next Glock may be a G34 but that's later on down the road.

keysersoze
06-15-09, 02:51
I had a 34, and it was a tack driver, and although it may be hard to conceal at first, you'll get used to it eventually. I carried mine in a Comp-Tac CTAC for a Glock 17, but since the bottom was open ended, the 34 fit anyway. It's weird wearing it IWB for the first few days, but like I said you get used to it eventually. The size is not much of an issue, I'm only 5 foot 6 and weight around 180 lbs, but I could hide it pretty well.

civilian
06-15-09, 10:35
Love mine, and I don't know that I prefer my G34 over it. Shoots very well, and carries well in a Raven holster with light.

Dan Goodwin
06-15-09, 13:38
Some days more is more.

I have carried mine OD a bunch. Sometimes in an OWB Blade-Tech, more often IWB Bladetechs _ one for gun only and one for gun with TLR1.

A G27 is more comfortable, but the 1911 sized G35 is comforting, as is the ability to hit easily offhand out to 100 yards.

I mix and match pistols quite often, and the G35 admittedly sees more duty as a car gun these days.

STRONGLY considering buying an aftermarket 6-in. .357 SIG barrel for it and making it a primary woodswalking gun instead of going G20SF. Curious how fast it might push Corbon lightweight loads.

Kind of a modern iteration of the .30 Luger...

loupav
06-15-09, 23:34
I have a G34. I bought it, not liking Glocks but wanting to have one in the collection. I went with the G34 because everyone has a G17.

I love that gun! The first time I put it on paper I was amazed how easy it was for me to shoot it accurately.

The G34 is one of my most accurate and pleasant to shoot 9mm's.

ghost762
06-16-09, 03:36
It's still a Glock

loupav
06-16-09, 14:40
It's still a Glock

So is that a good thing or a bad thing? Or just your opinion?