PDA

View Full Version : what to do with the front sight post

Watchman
05-20-09, 23:08
I feel like changing things and I want to get rid of the standard FSB on my Bushmaster XM15. I am moderately competent at the work bench and I'm wondering what the pitfalls are to just taking an angle grinder to it, smooth everything over and apply some black paint and call it a day.

I could remove the flash hider and take my chances on the difficulty level of pounding out the pins (I hear they can be a pain sometimes) and install some spiffy FSB with flip up sight as well. But I plan on also taking the easy route and installing a Daniel Defense Omega Rail on it and the time on the grinder is easier than the time with wrenches, hammers, possibly torches, etc. It would be a little bit cheaper to just hack and grind as well. As far as looks are concerned, I'm fairly confident I can smooth things down to look okay.

Any thoughts before I chuck it in the vise and start grinding?

Thank you.

lanceriley
05-20-09, 23:23
if you're going to remove the FSB. get a DD Lite Rail . you won't regret it.

but if you're going to replace the FSB

1.) Replace with F front sight base.
2.) Get a flip up
3.) Grind the FSB down so it will fit under a long rail.

chiz45
05-20-09, 23:46
but if you're going to replace the FSB

3.) Grind the FSB down so it will fit under a long rail.

I did this a few months ago on an LMT to fit under a DD Lite. FSB came off relatively easily. It's nice to use a shaved stock FSB, as it's no additional cost, fits perfectly, and is very stable.

A few weekends ago, i took a Colt 'pencil' barrel in to HDI to get the same thing done. That FSB would NOT come free. Ultimately, it had to be cut off; surprisingly, no rust or anything under the FSB. So your mileage may vary.

idreamt...
05-22-09, 00:20
I've been taking all my cues from the U.S. Military.
The prefer a fixed stock, and fixed front sight for simplicity and reliability.

For real, most badass guns I've ever seen are non adjustable with a tactical rail.

lanceriley
05-22-09, 04:38
yep.. mine is a fixed "F" Frontsight. and a fixed LMT Buis. nothing goes wrong with the fixed stuff. the flippin sights are cool but would sooner or later fail.

buggsb
05-22-09, 16:00
The good thing is that you can always go down the replace route if you hack it off and decide that you don't like how it came out. You wouldn't be out anything but your time to hack the old one off. If you like how it comes out, you're ahead of the game and it didn't cost anything but your time.

Watchman
05-23-09, 06:56
Thanks everyone.

It's mainly a bench toy that gets fingered farked as much as it gets shot. The more I think of it, the more I am tempted to not touch anything though. I'm getting old and open sights for recreational shooting is getting hard. There is more guesswork involved now but I can still hold playing card sized groups at 50 yards with the A3 handle sight. And I am very aware that I good solid chunk of steel make a better sight that something with detents, click stops, and joints..

I've resisted scopes for most of my life but getting old is what it is.. the vision ain't what it used to be. For farting around at the range a scope has put the fun back into things but I like low power scopes and I can see the front sight post waving back at me. We'll see if I get used to it or not.

lanceriley
05-23-09, 08:50
sometimes I slap a 4-6x scope on my flat top. the front sight doesn't bother me. I've learned to shoot using irons. always loved the irons. Now that I have a flat top. I bought my first RDS. and magnified optics. but there are times. when I just remove the optics and go back to irons

Jerz_subbie
05-23-09, 16:24
I shaved my fsb and installed a 10" rail on my RRA.

The Omega is incredibly easy to install, but if you don't mind removing the barrel nut I'd go with the DD Lite. I have both

lanceriley
05-23-09, 17:17
Lite rail is probably the most sturdy in the industry right now.

shadco
05-23-09, 21:07
Lite rail is probably the most sturdy in the industry right now.

Not to mention that they also look good on a RRA

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/112872894.jpg

lanceriley
05-23-09, 21:22
damn! gotta get those xtm pannels :p

R.Miksits
05-24-09, 07:26
the shadow in the scope is not something I would "get used too"

grind the sucker off and get a DD omega rail.

LMTRocks
05-24-09, 16:33
I feel like changing things and I want to get rid of the standard FSB on my Bushmaster XM15. I am moderately competent at the work bench and I'm wondering what the pitfalls are to just taking an angle grinder to it, smooth everything over and apply some black paint and call it a day.

I could remove the flash hider and take my chances on the difficulty level of pounding out the pins (I hear they can be a pain sometimes) and install some spiffy FSB with flip up sight as well. But I plan on also taking the easy route and installing a Daniel Defense Omega Rail on it and the time on the grinder is easier than the time with wrenches, hammers, possibly torches, etc. It would be a little bit cheaper to just hack and grind as well. As far as looks are concerned, I'm fairly confident I can smooth things down to look okay.

Any thoughts before I chuck it in the vise and start grinding?

Thank you.

In February I took my omega carbine rail off to put a Troy MRF-R (12") rail on. I should have spent the extra $$$ on the omega 12" but I got a great deal on the troy. I couldn't find a lo-pro GB in time for the install so I went the grinder method...
A few sparks flew, and sure the steel didn't smell all that great, but who cares. I got it cut off in a little while and shaped it until it was lo-profiled enough to clear the rail. I had to shave the bayo-lug as well and take out the sling-swivel to clear the inside of the Troy, but it was worth it. Grind it...
Good luck!