PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Florida Hurricane Season

Mr.Goodtimes
05-21-09, 09:52
Well aparently us Floridians are gonna have a pretty active hurricane season this year, atleast thats what the predictions are. I'm starting to think mabey they might be right since it finally started raining again here, and actually has been raining for about four or five days now. its pretty great actually, we really needed the rain!

What are yall doing to prepare for the hurricane season this year? we have a tons of canned goods in our walk in pantry. im going to say we probably have enough to last us about two weeks with out food, and thats eating well. we also have a well to get clean water from. we have flashlights. i need to order more CR-123 batteries though for my surefire light.

im trying to talk my dad into gettin a generator to atleast run the refrigerator and freezer on... AC would be really nice but not a must have. Ideally i wish we would get some sort of small diesel generator that would be capable of sustaining the whole house at normal energy usage levels, but, then again, dont we all?

I live in a wealthy upper middle class suburb about 30 min inland from Tampa. Because of my location, im not too concerned with getting hit by anything really substantial like a hurricane katrina. Tampa hasnt been hit by anything major in a long time, and even then, i dont remember there being mass looting like what went on in New Orleans. To top it off, im not located close to the big city, or down town. its upper class burbs. mabey its a false sense of security but, im thinkin that even if things got really ugly and we got nailed wiht somethin really bad, most of the looting would be confined to the industrial/commercial and downtown parts of tampa, as those are generally rougher parts of town. i tend to think that looters would take targets of opportunity, and not generally go out of their way and drive 30 min to get the good stuff.

were also on higher ground, so, this is good as well, most of the water will run down hill into the subdivisions at the bottom of the hill.

rob_s
05-21-09, 10:08
I wouldn't let high ground or distance inland give me a sense of security. Some of the worst hit areas a few years ago were in the middle of the state.

I don't do much to prepare frankly, and find a lot of people's preparations to be kind of amusing. If I think it will be bad, we'll leave. If it turns out to be worse than we thought and we stay, we'll leave afterwards. Let the insurance and the scumbags fight over the house. I'd be more inclined to stay if we had a generator, and we might get one on an automatic transfer switch eventually. We typically have lots of canned and boxed foods in the pantry anyway, we get Zephyrhills water deliveries so we're stocked up on that, etc.

Some people prepare for hurricanes like it's I am Legend time. I'm not one of those people.

I hope we get another Wilma this year. Being a native Floridian some of my best memories are from hurricanes. Kate up north when I was a kid, I spent Charley in Brooksville a few years ago, another one from the '04/'05 season in the keys and had a great time, and Wilma was nice and late in the season so the weather was great and I spent a week sitting in a chair on the lawn watching the suburbanites to nuts while I drank beer and smoked cigars.

We'd also like to tear the screen enclosure down off the pool, and if we can get the demo done for free and a check (either from the insurance and/or the recycler) to boot then it sounds win:win to me.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-21-09, 14:13
I wouldn't let high ground or distance inland give me a sense of security. Some of the worst hit areas a few years ago were in the middle of the state.

I don't do much to prepare frankly, and find a lot of people's preparations to be kind of amusing. If I think it will be bad, we'll leave. If it turns out to be worse than we thought and we stay, we'll leave afterwards. Let the insurance and the scumbags fight over the house. I'd be more inclined to stay if we had a generator, and we might get one on an automatic transfer switch eventually. We typically have lots of canned and boxed foods in the pantry anyway, we get Zephyrhills water deliveries so we're stocked up on that, etc.

Some people prepare for hurricanes like it's I am Legend time. I'm not one of those people.

I hope we get another Wilma this year. Being a native Floridian some of my best memories are from hurricanes. Kate up north when I was a kid, I spent Charley in Brooksville a few years ago, another one from the '04/'05 season in the keys and had a great time, and Wilma was nice and late in the season so the weather was great and I spent a week sitting in a chair on the lawn watching the suburbanites to nuts while I drank beer and smoked cigars.

We'd also like to tear the screen enclosure down off the pool, and if we can get the demo done for free and a check (either from the insurance and/or the recycler) to boot then it sounds win:win to me.

rob, i like your style buddy!

were not ones to leave, atleast im not. im glad im not the only ones who enjoy the hurricanes a little. i love the missed days of school we used to have, and during our last hurricane (dont remember name) i sat and played Americas Army blasting opfor with some of my wrestling buddys from school (LAN Party) while it stormed outside.

we never flip out and start going I Am Legend on everyone but we do have some neighbors that did. the panic buying morons at wallmart are always great to watch.

my dad and i arent ones to leave. if it gets bad enough weel send mom and the girls up to visit family in gainsville but, weel wait it out. im just not really one to leave my castle to be potentially over run by thugs, im def a little stubborn, and so is my pops. its genetic i recon.

i wont let location lull me into a false sense of security, i just think that its less likely to occure here... LESS being the key word, because it is still a good probability. i guess it depends on how bad a theif wants something.

Thomas M-4
05-21-09, 16:04
I am guessing everybody down there is starting to clean out Lowes and Home depot in preparation? I hope it will be a calm season again this year I am tired of seeing gas station jack the price of gas to $4.25 a gallon even before the storm hits and seeing fools lineup down the street to by it. The gas stations used to not gouge like that up here but all that changed after Katrina:rolleyes:. Everybody goes into overload panic meltdown. I am like there has always been hurricanes this isn't something new. Hell I remember in middle school being told New Orleans could not stand a hit from hurricane that was almost 20 years ago. None of this is new all knee jerk response panicky sheep. Complaining over with I hope you 2 have a good time in the sun Drink a corona for me.:)

Mr.Goodtimes
05-21-09, 20:10
I hope you 2 have a good time in the sun Drink a corona for me.:)

thanks bro, def will too!

and yea, people around here panick buy like this whole hurricane thing is new or somethin. OMG WTF HURRICANE, WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

its insane, i mean, theres really not that much to do. you go buy your gas, your batteries and generator to run half the neighborhood before hurricane season, board up your windows (if nessecary). get some water, and canned goods incase something happens to your generator.

but instead of just thinking rationally, people start running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off trying to figure out what million different things they need.

Alpha Sierra
05-21-09, 20:11
I've always wondered why Floridians do not, by and large, build houses out of reinforced concrete like they do in Puerto Rico.

I watched several major hurricanes go by the window as a child. Never did it occur to us to leave the house because when you have a poured concrete roof and structural walls of cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar, there ain't a safer place.

Stick built houses suck in hurricane force winds.

Thomas M-4
05-21-09, 20:29
I've always wondered why Floridians do not, by and large, build houses out of reinforced concrete like they do in Puerto Rico.

I watched several major hurricanes go by the window as a child. Never did it occur to us to leave the house because when you have a poured concrete roof and structural walls of cinder block reinforced with concrete and rebar, there ain't a safer place.

Stick built houses suck in hurricane force winds.

Some houses are but must of it boils down to money. There is a industry built up just going behind hurricanes and fixing the damage. Lot of the new homes have what they call hurricane straps tying the roof down and reinforced supporting walls. But all that doesn't do much good with debris flying through the air or with storm surges.

jackinfl
05-21-09, 21:05
Well guys from someone that CAN NOT leave when it gets bad due to an oath to serve and protect, I truly hope we do not get a hurricane nor any part of a hurricane. Now that being said I do the following. When the news starts watching disturbances I fill up 6 5 gallon unleaded fuel containers. I have a portable generator that runs a few lights, the fridge and a small window shaker AC. I wish I had a bigger one, but...
I have 2 propane tanks, one is always full and if it gets close I top off the other one. I keep at least 3 cases of water int he garage at all times and rotate it throughout the year. I have a small backpacking stove that uses coleman fuel and a camping stove that runs on the coleman propane.
I keep canned food and frozen food on hand.

I have a pool that I can use to flush the toilets if the water is out. Also, the generator can run the pool pump on its own. So that way the pool stays clear.

I have hurricane shutters that go up early, I would love to have hurricane windows but I bought a precision rifle and training this year, priorities right.

Flashlights and lanterns and candles are all stocked up.

Additionally I live on a cul-de-sac that has alot of tradesmen business owners so we all take care of each other.

I also have a chainsaw that I had to use after the last hard hit we took, I forget the name of the storm. It is a Stihl and it is the scariest tool ever invented!

as far as guns and stuff I have plenty. I keep 30 loaded ar mags in a backpack that is HEAVy but there if I need to jam. The wife is also sworn to stay so we are stuck. The son has a 1022 and loves it.

Anyway I hope I am prepared. I sometimes wish I could leave, but you have to take the good with the bad.
Jack

bkb0000
05-22-09, 17:39
Lot of the new homes have what they call hurricane straps tying the roof down and reinforced supporting walls. But all that doesn't do much good with debris flying through the air or with storm surges.

all structures, actually.. i think it might even be a federal code (not sure about that, though). here in the Great Northwest, where there are no hurricanes, we're required to install hurricane-ties to all truss/top plate connections. unless it's a flat roof- then A35s take the place of hurricane-ties.

i need to get licensed to work in hurricane-prone southern states.. load up the truck and trailor and head south during hurricane season. you guys could make me a rich man. ;)

Don Robison
05-22-09, 18:03
We moved from the coast to 40 miles inland Dec 07 and don't worry too much about the storms now. We've got a generator, pool and anything else we would need to hang for 10 days minimum. The worst that could happen to us is a tornado or high winds blow a tree on the house. Then we move into the other house on the property or into my work shop that has a full bath etc.

RogerinTPA
05-22-09, 19:56
I too normally have a well stocked pantry with can goods, cases of water and other non perishables. With several propane tanks, a gas grill and a freezer full of stuff to BBQ, a pool full of water to flush the comode, I think I'm GTG for several weeks in a hunker down situation. I still have to get that generator though.

Back when Katrina and 4 other big named hurricanes hit, Lakeland was the Bullseye for 4 that crossed the state. One of them predicted to hit Tampa/St. Pete, made a left and hit Cape Coral, going inland...where? Lakeland. Same with Orlando, hit by 3 of the 5. Regardless of where you live, a well built concrete block house with a metal roof would serve you well. Last time I was in Key West, almost every house had one.

Thomas M-4
05-22-09, 20:32
I too normally have a well stocked pantry with can goods, cases of water and other non perishables. With several propane tanks, a gas grill and a freezer full of stuff to BBQ, a pool full of water to flush the comode, I think I'm GTG for several weeks in a hunker down situation. I still have to get that generator though.

Back when Katrina and 4 other big named hurricanes hit, Lakeland was the Bullseye for 4 that crossed the state. One of them predicted to hit Tampa/St. Pete, made a left and hit Cape Coral, going inland...where? Lakeland. Same with Orlando, hit by 3 of the 5. Regardless of where you live, a well built concrete block house with a metal roof would serve you well. Last time I was in Key West, almost every house had one.

Those metal roofs are nice those stand up to hurricanes very well .

bkb0000
05-22-09, 20:59
most roofs will hold up if they're fastened right.. obviously some are simply imposible to fasten right. metal shingles are NO GO, as is 3-tab. standing seam metal is better than those, but still not traditionally known for high wind ratings. its really light, and once high winds pick up an edge, the whole thing goes. same goes for any product that's installed in large sections. if you double screw standing-seam metal (inside flange pan-head, outside with washer screws), it's not going anywhere, but you then decrease it's serviceable life by about 50%.. those neoprene washer screws last maybe 20 years, whereas the roofing itself is rated for 50+, and you're paying for the 50+.

if i lived in a hurricane area and had a pitched roof, i'd go with cedar shingles if i could find CCA old-growth ($500+ per square these days), toe-nailed with 2" staples and cap on the rake-edges, or a tri-lam composition shingle like Landmark TL or Presidential TL, and do 6 nails per. otherwise, coated concrete on a flat roof will never blow off.

Thomas M-4
05-22-09, 21:13
most roofs will hold up if they're fastened right.. obviously some are simply imposible to fasten right. metal shingles are NO GO, as is 3-tab. standing seam metal is better than those, but still not traditionally known for high wind ratings. its really light, and once high winds pick up an edge, the whole thing goes. same goes for any product that's installed in large sections. if you double screw standing-seam metal (inside flange pan-head, outside with washer screws), it's not going anywhere, but you then decrease it's serviceable life by about 50%.. those neoprene washer screws last maybe 20 years, whereas the roofing itself is rated for 50+, and you're paying for the 50+.

if i lived in a hurricane area and had a pitched roof, i'd go with cedar shingles if i could find CCA old-growth ($500+ per square these days), toe-nailed with 2" staples and cap on the rake-edges, or a tri-lam composition shingle like Landmark TL or Presidential TL, and do 6 nails per. otherwise, coated concrete on a flat roof will never blow off.

Sounds like you are an accomplished carpenter there is still a lot of work that needs to be done on the gulf coast . Its been 2 years since my last visit. One suggestion try to find an apartment to rent living out of a motorhome for 6 months SUCKS.

Cold Zero
05-23-09, 20:52

Interesting discussion about Roofing. I had installed a new roof in Jan. 2008. We used Timberline Ultra Lifetime Archectural shingles that are rated to 110 MPH when 6 nails per shingle are used and Timbertex Ridge Cap, 30 Lb paper and snow and ice shield around the roof perimeter and all skylights was also installed.

The Lifetime warranty is transferable for 10 years to a new owner. If you don't want a metal roof, this is about the best that you are going to do. These shingles weight about double what a typical 30 year shingle weighs. The Cobra Vent at the top will also help insure that the roof breathes well. We are in the flood plane in a hurricane area, on an island.

Stay dry.

Mjolnir
05-29-09, 09:10
Monolithic Dome Home

This is not what I have but this is what I shall build.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-29-09, 10:39
these things are strong, but uglier then sin! i think id rather just build a block house, with a good metal roof. also, surround the house with trees, keep it far enough away that if the tallest tree falls, it wont damage the house, but i would think that this would still allow the trees to break up a lot of the wind and what not.

either that or build one of those homes into the side of a hill. thatd work great!