PDA

View Full Version : Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at school

JSandi
05-21-09, 22:34
FRANKLIN — A Williamson County judge sentenced a Fairview man to 20 days in jail for handling a gun on school property -- and said the man might have been better off if he’d pulled the trigger.

On Thursday, Tracy C. Clark, 37, told Circuit Court Judge James G. Martin III, that he’d gotten into a verbal altercation at Westwood Elementary School on Jan. 30, 2006 after his 9-year-old son’s basketball game. Clark said the father of rival player came to his truck and held a knife as if threatening to stab him.

Clark, who had a handgun carry permit, said he told the man he had a gun and pulled a 9 mm handgun from the center console of his pickup truck and put it on the driver’s seat. The gun was not loaded and never left its holster, according to Clark.

“I never brandished it,” Clark said. “I never showed it. I did not know what the best thing to do was.”

Martin said under state law regulating weapons on school property, Clark might have avoided a conviction if he had actually pointed the gun or used it because that would have demonstrated self-defense.

“There’s no question he was in a situation where a man pulled a knife on him,” Martin said. “It’s an extremely unusual statute… in the defense side of it. While it’s illegal to possess a firearm (on school grounds) it’s OK if you use it to defend yourself.”

Martin found Clark guilty of possession of a weapon on school property, a class B misdemeanor. The judge sentenced Clark to 20 days in jail, ordered him to take anger management classes and said he cannot possess or handle a firearm.

“It’s ironic that, under the statute, if he’d have pointed it at him things would be different,” Martin said. “By his own testimony he didn’t display it or use it in self-defense.”

In 2006, Circuit Court Judge Timothy Easter dismissed the charge against Clark, ruling he acted in self-defense. Last year, the state’s Court of Appeals ruled that Easter erred in dismissing the charge and remanded the case for reinstatement of the indictment.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090521/COUNTY09/90521096/Judge++Man+might+have+been+better+off+pulling+trigger+at+school

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-22-09, 08:05
I guess another example of why not to talk to the cops with out your lawyer when it comes to gun stuff. Not saying the lawyer would have had him lie, but he could have worked some law-fu.

LOKNLOD
05-22-09, 08:28
I think it's very revealing that the judge seems to acknowledge whole-heartedly that it's an oddball situation, and that the guy is getting the short end of the stick -- and yet he still hands down the misdemeanor. Anyone who has any shreds of faith left in the judicial system needs to remember that when it comes to the law, the system can't see the forest for the trees.

Being that the guy was cleared once and then it was appealed by the state, I'm sure there was political pressure to nail this guy...

Does anyone have any links to more info about the case? The whole thing raises a lot of questions. If he didn't display it, how did anyone know he ever got it out or even had it?

“It’s ironic that, under the statute, if he’d have pointed it at him things would be different,” Martin said.

No, what's ironic is that you're sending a man to jail and anger management classes, for not being aggressive in his self defense.

WS6
05-22-09, 09:06
I guess another example of why not to talk to the cops with out your lawyer when it comes to gun stuff. Not saying the lawyer would have had him lie, but he could have worked some law-fu.

+1, little blue card = cue to shut up.