PDA

View Full Version : Need DMR 'Battle Rifle' Help!

Armati
05-22-09, 09:19
Ok, I am due for a new piece. In my stable I would like to add a 'full power' DMR type rifle.

Here is my current thinking on the candidates:

The Romanian PSL type rifles. I know they are not SVDs, but I also cannot justify paying $3k for this type of rifle. For that money I can get real sniper gun. The 7.62x54R is cheap to shoot and plentiful. Wolf and S&B both make match grade ammo if I need it. I like the fairly cheap newer generation of SVD scopes. I love the 'choke sight' type reticule in the Russian glass. If I do go with the PSL I have thought about having a cryogenic treatment done on it at least help offset the stamped receiver and thin bbl. A better trigger can be gained by simply using one of the Power Custom FCGs. Is there any particular model year or production run to look for?

Build a mid-weight FAL. I can pretty much do anything with the FAL. It has a huge aftermarket. I can get a much better unit by buying a few parts every month and piecing it together over a few months. It also looks less expensive to my wife. I did this with my AR and it must be worth (in today's market) over $2k. My only concern is the price of 7.62x51 and the cost of a decent scope.

Modify a Russian Saiga. The Saiga in 7.62 seems like a good deal. Well built Russian equipment with a better bbl (and everything else) than the Romanian stuff. I only with they made it in 7.62x54R. Again, my only real concern here is the cost of ammo and optics. Does anyone have a preference in bbl lengths?