PDA

View Full Version : ACOG or Leupold MRT 1.5-4X?

Killjoy
05-22-09, 19:14
Just wondering everyone's opinion. I am building a short-medium range AR, and I'm looking at what glass I should mount. I went into this with the intention of using an ACOG I purchased, but after recently returning from a sniper course out at the US Training Center, I really was impressed with the performance of my Leupold Mark 4 (3.5-10) on my bolt gun. While I am impressed with the clarity and FOV of the ACOG, the Leupold MRT has kind of been catching my eye. I have been thinking of selling the ACOG to fund buying the MRT, but I haven't shot with an MRT, or even examined one. Any experience with the MRT, good or bad? Should I just stick with the ACOG?

jp0319
05-22-09, 21:23
given the two options you outlined I'd go with the leupy it offers more versitility 1.5-5x vs the fixed 4x of the ACOG. I am going with a similar choice of a trijicon TR24G I like the true 1x to 4x of this optic.

JoJunior
05-25-09, 00:41
Have your tried a NF 1x or 2.5x?

1911snob
05-25-09, 01:10
I love the SPR reticle of the MRT, eye relief is excellent and 1.5 still allow both eyes open in CQ. it weighs 15oz while the ACOG is around 9.0oz. beefy bastard built like a tank.

Personally, I think its the perfect short-medium range optic, I have mine mounted on top of N4 recce. If you can, I would wait to sell the ACOG until you have tried it out.

here is one just posted for sale on another forum, I hope its Ok

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=693053

Killjoy
05-25-09, 10:04
Thanks for the responses!

DocGKR
05-25-09, 23:58
The 1.5-5x MRT is OK for the money, but the Mil-dot reticle works better for most of the intended uses of this scope. The S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot, NF 1-4x, and Trijicon 1.25-4x are all also reasonable options.

Jack-O
05-26-09, 08:54
The eye relief, exit pupil and sensitivity to head position sold me on the MRT over the ACOG myself. I actually bought a USO 1-4 scope, but if I had to do it again, the Leupy would get my $.

JHC
05-26-09, 19:44
I saw the plain as day photos on another thread here that showed how a true 1x doesn't work so well with a FSB. Which was validated Sat when I laid a TR24 on a DDM4 set on 1x.

Does the 1.5x fade the FSB out into the shadow range or is it closer to the opaque as hell image in a 1x?

[edit - I have found a post by USMC03 that he's had no problems with FSB at 1.5x. If that's all there is to it . . .
I don't post much but search and read extensively. Hate to ask a question that's been answered.]