PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, newB w/ Optics Questions

Gunzilla
05-23-09, 15:32
Hello, being new here I wanted to say HI, and that it's great to be aboard!! My RRA Entry Tactical won't be here until Tuesday but I couldn't wait that long to sign up. :D

I already have, or have on order, some accessories, but the pages in my book on optics choices are fairly blank, so I'm hoping to get some info from the gurus here.

Trolled the site and found a lot of cool ARs and wanted to ask a few Qs about OETech sights. Currently shopping for the 557, but heard a few negative comments about the newer EOTechs, now I'm looking at options so here's a few Qs.

1. Do the new 55x series EOTech lights still have problems?

2. Which EOTech models have proven track records for reliability?

3. Are there any comparable sights out there that are worthy prospects? (C-More, etc)

4. What worthy options are available for 3x converters?

Paying for the EOTech doesn't hurt so bad, but saving money on a converter would allow for a few more goodies for the AR. :)

Thanks in advance!! ;)

kmrtnsn
05-23-09, 22:27
I have an Eotech 552 on my duty rifle. No issues what so ever for a CQB sight, I love it. The 3X add-ons? They blow. Picture the fuzzy Eotech dot or dot and cross-hairs three times larger. Also, now you have four pieces of glass to keep green and fog free, instead of two. I shot the combo in the rain and and found it miserable. If you want magnification, then buy an ACOG or a ELCAN, or one of the 1-4X dot in a donut scopes. I know, they are all expensive and I don't have the excess bones laying around for one either. I do have my eye on the Burris AR-332. It is a 3X; like a poor man's ACOG for around $300.00. I know that you get what you pay for but that is about what I can shell out right now for a scope.

Gunzilla
05-24-09, 00:37
Thanks for dropping those names, I'll go check them out. Magnification isn't a must have" item right now. It seems by reading some threads here that I'm in need of other mods to get my new RRA up to speed.

Looks like a new higher grade BCG is in order along with staking the castle nut, for starters. I need to go back and find that posting I saw that showed the "castle nut" process done on a new AR, it was very well written and had clear pics showing you how-to.

Anyone have any input on getting the BCG coated with NP3 and what other parts would you put NP3 on? Or maybe the better question is which parts would you NOT put NP3 on?

kmrtnsn
05-24-09, 01:18
NP3 on a BCG is a waste. Plain old phosphate finish has served me well for 30 years. As long as the interior areas are chromed you don't really need anything else. There are only a couple of wearing surfaces and a fine film of oil will suffice. Want to take care of your BCG, buy a good cleaning tool. What a special finish for it? Maybe Ceracote, you could do that yourself.