PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove Lock setted AAC FH?

Blitzking
05-24-09, 06:56
It appears I have to send a Upper back ..I've got a AAC flash hider locksetted to the barrel how do I crack this loose??

Iraqgunz
05-24-09, 08:09
What type of flash hider is it? Was this upper being previously used with a suppressor? I have heard others say that if you submerge the flash hider in boiling water it will loosen the Rocksett and penetrate to the threads. I would think that low gradual heat would work as well.

It appears I have to send a Upper back ..I've got a AAC flash hider locksetted to the barrel how do I crack this loose??

Robb Jensen
05-24-09, 08:33
Submerge it in water for 24hrs or more, just room temp water is fine. Then try and loosen it, it'll come free.

Blitzking
05-24-09, 17:10
as usal you come through with the info!

CAR-AR-M16
05-26-09, 21:48
I have removed several Rocksett'd M4-2000 flash hiders and have never soaked them or done anything special to get them off. Just the wrench with a little extra force and they all came right off. Rocksett is not an adhesive, it is just a thread locker like Locktite only Rocksett doesn't breakdown at high temperature like Locktite does. The temperature resistance is why they use it for suppressor mounts (which get quite hot). YMMV

Robb Jensen
05-26-09, 21:52
I have removed several Rocksett'd M4-2000 flash hiders and have never soaked them or done anything special to get them off. Just the wrench with a little extra force and they all came right off. Rocksett is not an adhesive, it is just a thread locker like Locktite only Rocksett doesn't breakdown at high temperature like Locktite does. The temperature resistance is why they use it for suppressor mounts (which get quite hot). YMMV

Believe it or not H20 does break it down....

Iraqgunz
05-27-09, 02:51
That's rather interesting considering that I had to remove a few barrels that some idiot put Rocksett on the barrel nut. Had I used the 400lb gorilla and wrench technique I would never have gotten it loose without damaging the weapon.

CAR-AR-M16
05-27-09, 08:35
Believe it or not H20 does break it down....

I don't doubt that water would help break it down.

That's rather interesting considering that I had to remove a few barrels that some idiot put Rocksett on the barrel nut. Had I used the 400lb gorilla and wrench technique I would never have gotten it loose without damaging the weapon.

I was simply relating my experience with Rocksett'd flash hiders. Perhaps the barrels you had were not only Rocksett'd, but over torqued as well. I have seen folks bust teeth off of a barrel nut that had nothing on the threads. The flash hiders are not normally installed so tight. Anyway, that has been my experience, YMMV.

Robb Jensen
05-27-09, 09:28
Gotcha. The water is really needed when whoever put it together used way too much.