PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940

seang
05-24-09, 17:07
Am I correct in assuming the chart would apply to this model like it does the 6920 besides the handgaurds? I know some people don't like the front flip up sights, is there different methods used by some manufacturers to secure their flip up sights better than others?

I have heard the front flip up sights on the M&P 15 come loose easily, does this apply to the rear fold up sights to? Any reason to think the Colt 6940 flip up sights would be more secure?

I am waiting on a M&P 15 with fixed front and flip-up rear that is on back-order? I have thought of just getting the Colt 6940 instead. I was considering the 6940 since they don't offer a fixed front sight and flip up rear? If I wait on the M&P 15 any good way to make sure the rear sight stays secure, like I said I heard even with locktite they didn't stay the most secure. Thanks

CLHC
05-24-09, 17:23
SGCUSA has the Colt 6920 in-stock if you're interested. I'd take that over the aforementioned model you're waiting on. Hope you find what you're looking for. . .:cool:

seang
05-24-09, 17:51
I don't want the handle on the 6920? If I take it off does it have a rail under it to mount a flip up rear sight or eotech?

Anyone know when Noveske will be taking orders again for individual officer purchase?

SwatDawg15
05-24-09, 17:59
Yes, the carry handle is attached to the upper receiver rail. BUIS, and Eotec will go right on. You can sell the carry handle for almost as much as a good BUIS costs.

As far as Noveske, they arn't taking any orders until they fill their back log. Call Sheri and see what She says.

Charlie in Texas
05-24-09, 18:00
I don't want the handle on the 6920? If I take it off does it have a rail under it to mount a flip up rear sight or eotech?

Yes, the 6920 should be an A3 upper with removable carry handle. Removing the handle exposes the flat upper rail which can then be used for mounting a BUIS and/or optics.

There are other differences between the 6940 and 6920, most notably the preinstalled quad rail on the 6940, but there might be other internal differences that I'm not aware of.

CLHC
05-24-09, 18:12
What the others said above. Here's a thread with pictures of a Colt 6920.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13131&highlight=Colt+6920+EOTech

seang
05-24-09, 18:13
Is the Colt worth the extra $500.00 over the M&P? I got mine at price locked in at the time of order at under $1000.00. I don't shoot an AR alot, but plan on taking some higher volume courses next summer so I don't mind spending the money on quality.

Can anyone answer the question on the flip-up sights? Any reason not to go with the 6940? I would like to mount a Surefire light (G2) on the rifle also? I know this can be done on the Standard fixed front sight, but is this way as secure? Thanks

spamsammich
05-24-09, 18:18
I can't tell if you're concerned about the rear sight or front sight staying secure. It depends on the sight really, some are tougher than others. A dab of loc-tite will keep everything in place. That being said, I wasn't impressed with the 6940 enough to buy one over the 6920.

seang
05-24-09, 19:57
I'm concerned with both if they are flip up sights.

kwelz
05-24-09, 21:33
There are three major differences between the 6940 and the 6920.
The most obvious of these are the built in rail and the Flip up front sight.
The 3rd that most people miss is the system that retains the Dust cover. It is a pinned in system as opposed to the traditional system milled into the receiver.

I assume this is done because there is now no way to install or remove it in a traditional manner.

Price Point isn't that high above a 6920 at my local shop. they are about 250-300 more, and that is the price of a good rail system so really it is a wash.

The Front sight seems to light up tighter than any other flip-up I have seen but only time will tell how it holds up.