PDA

View Full Version : Twist rate and penetration

mkbar80
05-25-09, 10:35
A member directed this question of mine here from the technical forum.

All things being equal (barrel length, type of round) what effect might twist rate have on penetration thru barriers such as plywood/sheetrock (i.e. residental structures).

Example: Would a 55gr BTHP fired out of 16" barrell experience different levels of penetration at a 1:7 twist rate vs a 1:9 twist? (assume the twist is not effecting velocity).

WS6
05-25-09, 22:24
A member directed this question of mine here from the technical forum.

All things being equal (barrel length, type of round) what effect might twist rate have on penetration thru barriers such as plywood/sheetrock (i.e. residental structures).

Example: Would a 55gr BTHP fired out of 16" barrell experience different levels of penetration at a 1:7 twist rate vs a 1:9 twist? (assume the twist is not effecting velocity).

AOA plays a much larger roll here than twist-rate. If the projectile hits .5* off vs. 2.5* off, that is where you will notice the difference, not from differences in rotational stability (which, in something as dense as wood, 1/7 and 1/9 are both inadequate by a million miles).

This being said, perhapse the 1/9 would penetrate further than the 1/7 as the projectile would be spun slower and any imbalance would be less noticed. However, both M193 and M855 (any FMJ 5.56 round) is highly succeptible to AOA variations from shot to shot.

Again, this is well past the real of fact and into the realm of SWAG.