PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer 250?

Tracer
05-25-09, 11:31
Now is there anybody out there that has one of those newer Sig 250 models in the 1911 mode? I would like to hear all the Pro's & Con's on this newer Sig 1911 Double Action only weapon. Thanks!

seang
05-25-09, 13:49
Now is there anybody out there that has one of those newer Sig 250 models in the 1911 mode? I would like to hear all the Pro's & Con's on this newer Sig 1911 Double Action only weapon. Thanks!

I'm not aware of a Sig 250 in 1911 mode. The Sig 250 is DAO. It does not have a spurred hammer or thumb safety like the 1911. You can't have a DAO and 1911 style in the same gun.

ToddG
05-25-09, 15:59
I'm with seang, I've got no idea what you're talking about.

I've handled SIG P250's. Can't say that I'm a huge fan personally, but they have some unique attributes that could make them attractive to some folks, especially at a mass-issue level.

But presently, they're all DAO guns with a relatively light, extremely smooth trigger pull and long (full arc of travel) reset.

A striker-fired version is in the works, though, according to the twittering from Exeter ...

kmrtnsn
05-25-09, 16:02
When is SIG going to get a polymer pistol right?

seang
05-25-09, 16:34
I don't think they will get it right anytime soon. They need to cut out most of the models they are making and focus back on quality. They should have stuck with the basic models. I'm okay with stainless models and offering models with the SRT, but hell I can't keep up with all the models Elite, platinum, Sct, etc.... T

There is a good number of people over at sigforum that really like the Sig Pro, but I guess it didn't do anything for me.

CJGarza
05-25-09, 16:52
I think he means the Sig P238. A 1911 style gun in .380.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=67

The P250 is an entirely different animal.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=54

signal4l
05-25-09, 17:47
I give Sig points for creativity with the 250. Cool idea but the reset is very revolver-like. Too far forward for my liking.

sigmundsauer
05-25-09, 18:17
If SIG had managed to retain a true short reset capability with the P250....and retain 100% ignition, I think this pistol would have faired much better.

Ergonomically, I think it is par excellence. And, there's no doubt it has a butter smooth DA trigger, the nicest of any, IMO.

I personally would have preferred that they retained the original German 15-round mag with the lower profile base plates, but that's small potatoes.

I'll save my money.

Tim

Tracer
05-25-09, 18:20
Gentlemen, Sig does POSITIVELY make a P-250 model in both a full size and 3.5 inch barrel version. I had the pistol in my hands 3 hours ago at my shooting range.

The short version holds 9 rounds I am told and the large version holds 11 so they tell me. I still would like to know ALL the pro's & con's verses the Sigs I have at the present (P-226, P-229, P-239) and the wife has a Sig P-232, along with a pocket pistol called the Ruger LCP model.

IrishDevil
05-25-09, 18:32

This doesn't describe the 250. Personally, I think Sig needs to go to a striker system or get the reset down. I only have a little experience with a 250 in 9mm. It was accurate, and had a good DA trigger pull. The gun is so new there is no real solid info on it yet, especially the 45 ACP version.

sigmundsauer
05-25-09, 18:33
Well, to keep it short. The P220-series of SIGs have multiple decades worth of track records proving that it is one of the most mechanically-sound, reliable, durable, and accurate combat pistol platforms around. There are other pistols that manage better marks in a category or two, but the P220-series is the real deal, and I count the P239 too.

The P250 has had an uphill battle. The sig pro fought to compete in the polymer pistol market but has proven itself to be a tremendous value and all SIG in every respect. I can't yet say the same for the P250.

The P250 is ergonomic, relatively inexpensive, and light. If you prefer a slick DAO, it has merit, but I'd give the platform a little more time to mature.

The principal downsides to the P220-series is that they are a little spendy, heavy, and SIG's general quality control has been slipping lately (which has given me pause in purchasing anything from the company in the foreseeable future)...but the P220-series is overall sound and dependable.

Tim

kmrtnsn
05-25-09, 19:16
I now carry a P229R DAK for heavy service and P2000SK as a daily driver, having been forced to give up a HK USPc. I also own a P229 DAO. Enjoyed the the P229DAO, even experimented with converting it back to DA/SA for a while before making it a DAO once again. The level of quality, in terms of fit, finish, and operation between the ten year old DAO and the new DAK is striking. I'd never spend my money on the newer SIG DAK. The trigger feels like a ratchet! And the two stage reset? Why, why, why? And why have the heavier reset closer than the lighter reset? You can have the DAK trigger and give me a LEM. If I can't have my USPc back I am hoping to get a P2000 to replace it.

HK has figured out how to make a polymer pistol, as has Glock, and even S&W. If SIG can't figure out how to make a polymer pistol soon that can be adapted to a wide range of shooter hands, like their competition has figured out how to do, then they are set to loose the next big round of departmental/agency awards. Those are sales contracts that they cannot afford to loose.

seang
05-25-09, 22:10
What your talking about is the Sig 250 .45 ACP. This is not a 1911. I can't offer any advice on the .45 in 250 or even 9mm. I haven't shot one. You should check over on sigforum.com and you might get some more feedback there.

Shadow1198
05-25-09, 22:43
I like the P250 design concept. The modularity could make for a nice, versatile gun. As for will it be successful? I think it will be if they come out with a .22lr conversion and also another trigger option like the SRT (short reset trigger), DAK, or standard DA/SA. The .45 version only recently came out, and they seem pretty hard to find so it's going to be tough to find anyone with first hand experience that could give you a better idea. Your best bet would probably be Sigforum, since I've seen a few owners posting there about them lately.

warpigM-4
05-25-09, 23:07
I'm with seang, I've got no idea what you're talking about.

I've handled SIG P250's. Can't say that I'm a huge fan personally, but they have some unique attributes that could make them attractive to some folks, especially at a mass-issue level.

But presently, they're all DAO guns with a relatively light, extremely smooth trigger pull and long (full arc of travel) reset.

A striker-fired version is in the works, though, according to the twittering from Exeter ...
Todd what turns you off on the 250?

I have been looking at the p220 carry and the SAO p220 in 45 and the 250 .do you think I should stick with the p220??any advice would be a big help I know you work with Sig and your insight would be a big help
Thank you

ToddG
05-25-09, 23:25
Worked with SIG. Past tense.

I think the success of the P250 -- or rather, the lack thereof -- since its introduction almost two years ago speaks for itself.

warpigM-4
05-26-09, 18:12
Worked with SIG. Past tense.

I think the success of the P250 -- or rather, the lack thereof -- since its introduction almost two years ago speaks for itself.
yeah I think I am leaning more toward the P220 carry.I like the SAO also ,But have not seen a SAO in person or Talked to anyone who has shot one.I have always enjoyed shooting the P220 I just wish they would make a Hi cap in the 220 .Thanks for the input Todd

Tracer
05-26-09, 19:23
Todd, I don't know that the Sig 250 is not a success for Sig, as I have no clue as to how many P-250's Sig makes, sells etc., especially in comparison with other Sig models. I did see a list of names at a gunstore for those who have been waitilng for a full size P-250 since March 09.

However, after kicking this carry pistol issue around a little more in my head, I am more in want of a 10mm than another 45acp. I want something that will indeed boggie across 50 to 75 yards to the target with very good trajectory as well as penetration. It seems the 45acp just doesn't solve that problem for myself. I like the idea of a 155 grain bullet going 1400fps.

yrac
05-26-09, 20:26
Todd, I don't know that the Sig 250 is not a success for Sig, as I have no clue as to how many P-250's Sig makes, sells etc., especially in comparison with other Sig models. I did see a list of names at a gunstore for those who have been waitilng for a full size P-250 since March 09.

Since he worked for Sig for quite some time, and has been heavily involved in sales and marketing efforts for a number of firearms companies, it's a pretty safe bet that Todd does know something (quite a lot, in fact) about the success of the 250 in comparison with competing weapons. I'd suspect that the wait at your gunstore has more to do with other factors, such as the general market conditions caused by panic buying, than any virtues of the 250 itself.

Tracer
05-26-09, 20:53
Well then I suppose he would be the one to ask, who does indeed make the very best 10mm pistol on the market today? I am in want and need of a couple of these pistols for a future endeavor!

Tracer
05-26-09, 21:04
Yrac......Now are you saying, that the reason that orders have not been able to be filled is because of "panic buying" by the public? So there are that many people out there wanting and scooping up masses of Sig P-250's?

Sorry but I am not buying that brick today ok! Panic buying put a big shortage on .380 auto ammo, primers and some powder around the country side but somehow and in my Mid-West area that problem of no ammo, primers and powder has been greatly rectified this past week.

I have been over 2 states in the last couple of weeks (stopping at many gunstores and calling on the phone too) and can not find but 2 of those Sig P-250's in full size, ran into 4 of the compact models. So in my mind, Sig is either not producing the pistols or they are being grabbed by some unknown source by the bushel basket, as the public is not seeing them at all. Gunstores who have them on order for the past 3 or 4 months, also have not seen them come in like they should.

Bottom line is I still want excellent working pistols in 10mm!

GLOCKMASTER
05-26-09, 21:16
I have handled the SIG P250 on several occasions. I actually had one in the office just last week in .357. I have never been impressed with it at all. It just seems too cheap with a poorly executed design and I just do not think it will hold up well after a lot of rounds down the pipe.

DRich
05-26-09, 21:17

I have had at least one of every 10mm handgun model sold in the US and I still have most of them. My favorites are the Glock 20, S&W 10x6 series, S&W 610 and Colt Delta Elite. I also carry a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB on occasion.

If I had to sell all but one, I'd keep the Glock. It's the only pistol I trust to handle a steady diet of full-power 10mm loads and not worry about replacing parts on a regular basis. Just be careful with your reloads. I toss the brass after the third load.

warpigM-4
05-26-09, 21:34
Tracer, If you want a full size and have a FFL that will do transfers for you go on Gunbroker there are a good bit of 250's there in full and compact size.most are under 700.00

Tracer
05-26-09, 23:10
DRich.......thank you for the information! I was leaning toward the Glock but just didn't know what else was available nowdays to the general public. I certainly would never turn down a Colt Delta Elite by any means.

Warpig M-4, I am almost certain I will not be purchasing a Sig P-250! I do have a P-226, P-229 and P-239 all in 40S&W. They are very accurate and easy to shoot. However, I need some heavy firepower and the 10mm will fit the bill simply put.

ToddG
05-26-09, 23:11
I'd suspect that the wait at your gunstore has more to do with other factors, such as the general market conditions caused by panic buying, than any virtues of the 250 itself.

I'd say you won a cigar, but ever since that whole Monica Lewinsky thing ...

Well then I suppose he would be the one to ask, who does indeed make the very best 10mm pistol on the market today? I am in want and need of a couple of these pistols for a future endeavor!

What endeavor? And why 10mm?

So in my mind, Sig is either not producing the pistols or they are being grabbed by some unknown source by the bushel basket, as the public is not seeing them at all. Gunstores who have them on order for the past 3 or 4 months, also have not seen them come in like they should.

It would be a mistake to assume that production numbers for the P250 (in any configuration) come close to build rate for SIG Classic pistols, Glocks, M&Ps, etc.

There are always people on line to be first to own the next new thing. The measure of success is whether there is still a wait list even after the guns have gone into maximum serial production.

There has never been a plan to make the P250 in 10mm.

Tracer
05-26-09, 23:22
TodG........The reason why is simple enough, I need all the firepower one can muster up and still keep things in a semi-auto pistol. My plans for using these pistols is of a private nature and our CEO would not like me to discuss details of our quest. Now don't get me wrong, I surely do love that 45acp, just not in a shoulder gun with only 8 rounds in the mag. Rat Tat Tat!

Erk1015
05-27-09, 00:04
I had one for about a week and was so pissed at myself I actually tried to figure out how to kick meself in the nuts for buying it. Wifey was not a big fan either.

yrac
05-27-09, 06:03
TodG........The reason why is simple enough, I need all the firepower one can muster up and still keep things in a semi-auto pistol. My plans for using these pistols is of a private nature and our CEO would not like me to discuss details of our quest. Now don't get me wrong, I surely do love that 45acp, just not in a shoulder gun with only 8 rounds in the mag. Rat Tat Tat!

Tell you what, Tracer - you send me your plans in code. I'll use my Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring to read it. Then, I can assist you and your CEO, Dr. Evil, in carrying out your cunning plan, and no one here on M4C will know.

You've jumped from the Sig 250 to 10mm to 45 ACP. Based on just about every single post you've made in this thread, I can only assume that you're 14, and playing on Mom and Dad's computer with no supervision.

This thread is done. I apologize the all of the well meaning folks who made honest contributions to the thread.