PDA

View Full Version : Bowie Tactical Concepts - Glock 19

Lawdawg8654
01-11-07, 07:39
Does anyone here have a BTC Glock? Are they worth the extra expense? I know some say out of the box stock is best with Glock. I just want to hear some educated opinions about these. I use a 21 right now, but am seriously considering a BTC 19 or bone stock 19.

M4arc
01-11-07, 07:50
I've seen some of the work he's done on an M&P and it is awesome, he does outstanding work.

My question is, what are you thinking of having done?

Striker5
01-11-07, 08:15
I am shipping my G17 to him for the Glock 19 grip reduction and Ameriglo sights. I left a message and he called me back that afternoon - he was helpful, courteous and professional. A really good first impression and I am looking forward to doing business with him.

Lawdawg8654
01-11-07, 08:17
His signature pistol has a trigger job, grip reduction/texturing and this also changes the grip angle slightly. I really dislike the way Glocks feel as far as grip angle and texture. But, no one has designed anything better yet. I mean complete reliability in the 19 model, capable of holding up to 19+1 rds., good concealabilty. IMHO you really can't beat them. I like the P2000 but I just can't get over the 13+1 magazine capacity in comparison with the G19.

Lawdawg8654
01-11-07, 08:23
No doubt he is a great guy to deal with. I just wanted to consider the merits of this work as opposed to a stock 19 for "ass on the line" work. Does it greatly enhance the usefulness of this weapon or is it not worth the money and effort?

bullitt5172
01-11-07, 18:42
His signature pistol has a trigger job, grip reduction/texturing and this also changes the grip angle slightly. I really dislike the way Glocks feel as far as grip angle and texture. But, no one has designed anything better yet. I mean complete reliability in the 19 model, capable of holding up to 19+1 rds., good concealabilty. IMHO you really can't beat them. I like the P2000 but I just can't get over the 13+1 magazine capacity in comparison with the G19.

Just FYI, a stock G19 will hold 15+1 and not 19. I have a stock G19 and it would be the last gun in the safe if I had to sell them all (but one).

M4arc
01-11-07, 19:08
No doubt he is a great guy to deal with. I just wanted to consider the merits of this work as opposed to a stock 19 for "ass on the line" work. Does it greatly enhance the usefulness of this weapon or is it not worth the money and effort?

If it enhances the usefulness for you then go for it!

M4Guru
01-11-07, 21:06
They're really nice, but I think Robar could do the same thing cheaper. A local shop had a used G19 signature model that was awesome, but it was too much to spend on a G19 to not really do anything a factory G19 couldn't.

Lawdawg8654
01-11-07, 23:40
Just FYI, a stock G19 will hold 15+1 and not 19. I have a stock G19 and it would be the last gun in the safe if I had to sell them all (but one).

I frequently used a G22 magazine in my G23, you can do the same with the G19. In that case it is capable of holding 17+1 or you can get a four round extension for the G19 magazine which would bring it to 19+1. It may not be as reliable that way but it is capable of going there. I agree that the G19 is a great choice for a single handgun arsenal.

Lawdawg8654
01-11-07, 23:47
They're really nice, but I think Robar could do the same thing cheaper. A local shop had a used G19 signature model that was awesome, but it was too much to spend on a G19 to not really do anything a factory G19 couldn't.

Most contractors I know are using the stock 19 anyway and I haven't heard any grumbling. The grip size is about right for me, so after much thought I think I agree with your position. I will just stick to the stock model. Maybe add a Ghost 3.5 connector and a hogue overgrip to address the slick gripping surface or take a soldering iron to it. Thanks.

M4Guru
01-12-07, 07:31
Most contractors I know are using the stock 19 anyway and I haven't heard any grumbling. The grip size is about right for me, so after much thought I think I agree with your position. I will just stick to the stock model. Maybe add a Ghost 3.5 connector and a hogue overgrip to address the slick gripping surface or take a soldering iron to it. Thanks.

I do all mine with a soldering iron. It's a Glock, it not like it's getting any uglier. :D

Doing it yourself will make a much more agressive pattern as opposed to Bowie or Robar. It has a lot more grip than my old Robar gun.

I'll put some pics of of the G35 and G19 I currently use.

LOKNLOD
01-12-07, 07:51
His work is really nice but all the front cocking serrations, stippling down the side of the frame, etc. don't do much for me -- the only truly useful mod of his to me would be chopping a 17 down to run 19 mags. I'm seriously considering this myself but will probably sack-up and do it it myself and saving $70 + shipping.

The thing about Glocks is that you're not supposed to need to send them to the custom smiths...

M4arc
01-12-07, 16:16
I do all mine with a soldering iron. It's a Glock, it not like it's getting any uglier. :D

Doing it yourself will make a much more agressive pattern as opposed to Bowie or Robar. It has a lot more grip than my old Robar gun.

I'll put some pics of of the G35 and G19 I currently use.

Funny and true!

Standing by for pictures.

The thing about Glocks is that you're not supposed to need to send them to the custom smiths...

Amen!

Lawdawg8654
01-12-07, 18:31
Yea, thanks guys, I'd like to see those pics too.

John Fettes
01-12-07, 18:54
Thanks.

M4Guru
01-12-07, 19:41
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/M4Guru/DSC00483.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/M4Guru/DSC00485.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/M4Guru/DSC00484.jpg

The 19 was done with a flathead tip, the 35 with a ballpoint tip.

The 19 has more bite, the 35 is a little cleaner looking. YMMV.

VA_Dinger
01-14-07, 14:26
M4Guru, thats some nice work.

I've been wanting to get this done to my G19 for the past six months.

militarymoron
01-14-07, 14:38
I've been wanting to get this done to my G19 for the past six months.

go for it! here's my soldering iron job i did on my M&P. the M&P isn't an ugly gun like the glock IMHO, so i took a bit more care doing it. not as aggressive as M4guru's, but a dramatic improvement nonetheless.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mnp2.jpg

M4Guru
01-14-07, 14:52
Mine is ugly as hell, though. You could charge for yours.:D

M4arc
01-14-07, 19:43
WOW mm that is sweet!

I might have to send you my M&P :D

Matt Edwards
01-14-07, 21:52
I've handeled M4G's 19. It is rough. I sweat like my ex-wife in church so that is a good thing if I'm shooting with bare hands.
Matt

militarymoron
01-15-07, 08:45
WOW mm that is sweet!

I might have to send you my M&P :D

thanks. LOL - if i can do it, anyone can - i'm not that skilled.

Robb Jensen
01-15-07, 09:33
I've handeled M4G's 19. It is rough. I sweat like my ex-wife in church so that is a good thing if I'm shooting with bare hands.
Matt

I've been thinking about sending them my competition M&P9 for they're long trigger job. The trigger bar engages the sear earlier with this. I may try to do it myself. What I think they do is add metal to the front right edge of the sear so that the trigger bar runs into is sooner so that you don't have a long take up for the first shot.

militarymoron
01-15-07, 09:58
earlier sear engagement means longer overtravel, though, i believe. how is that addressed when they do it? when i did my M&P trigger job, yes, the first shot has more travel, but overtravel and reset was minimized.
it's also possible to get earlier sear engagement by bending up the trigger bar/loop slightly.

Robb Jensen
01-15-07, 10:32
earlier sear engagement means longer overtravel, though, i believe. how is that addressed when they do it? when i did my M&P trigger job, yes, the first shot has more travel, but overtravel and reset was minimized.
it's also possible to get earlier sear engagement by bending up the trigger bar/loop slightly.

Not necessarily. If all you did was bend the trigger bar you would be correct.

Along with bending the trigger bar, you could then lengthen the rear edge of the cam horizontally so that it would run into the sear housing a little earlier, thus shortening the overtravel. I think if this were done the top of the cam would have to be longer and more square so that it would correctly engage the firing pin safety earlier and completely as well. A set screw added were the trigger bar cam hits the sear housing might be able to control overtravel as well. But without testing I'm not sure that the firing pin safety would completely be disengaged.

I've done about a dozen trigger jobs so far using instructions on the Burwell sight.

militarymoron
01-15-07, 10:53
hmm - yes, i can see where shortening the overtravel by lengthening the rear edge of the cam would cause problems with firing pin safety plunger engagement. that part would have to be built up too so it's a bit further back. right now, with the stock part geometry and dimensions, it seems to be a battle between overtravel and takeup distance - one affects the other inversely.
i wonder if it's just a matter of time before someone offers aftermarket parts for the M&P like the glock, like a new drop-in trigger bar/cam and sear.

Akoni
01-15-07, 13:30

Not to mention, that once you cut the slide, the tennifer cannot be replaced in those areas. The tennifer metal treatment is one of the Glock features that I would not trade for a few cosmetic touches.

VA_Dinger
01-19-07, 15:38
Since this is a Bowie Tactical thread I have a question.

Has anybody ever gotten their Crimson Trace grips stippled by them? If so, got any pictures of the work?

Sam
01-19-07, 16:00
VA:

Here is a link to Bowie's website, there's 1911 CT grips that he did. I handled one that one of my instructors showed us in a class, it was very nice. Grippy enough for a secure hold but doesn't snag on your concealment clothing.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

VA_Dinger
01-19-07, 17:30
VA:

Here is a link to Bowie's website, there's 1911 CT grips that he did. I handled one that one of my instructors showed us in a class, it was very nice. Grippy enough for a secure hold but doesn't snag on your concealment clothing.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

Thank you for the link.

JFPATCH
01-19-07, 21:51
VA_Dinger

Nighthawk had a Vickers Tactical with CT grips done by BTC. They felt very nice.

glockkid88
08-18-10, 20:16
I have a 23 done by dave bowie and it is the most ergonomic glock I have ever handled. His grip reductions are the best IMO. His stippling is aggressive but not to the point of discumfort. I carry my 23 in a raven iwb holster every day w/o a problem. If your glock doesnt feel just right to you i would suggest looking into his services before switching over to another design (i.e. smith m&p, sa xd, etc.) And the cost is money well spent.

jjw
08-19-10, 10:36
Since this is a Bowie Tactical thread I have a question.

Has anybody ever gotten their Crimson Trace grips stippled by them? If so, got any pictures of the work?

dinger

David did 3 glocks for me
1. grip reduction were the best in the business. had 3 done by all the big name people. not near as good.

2. did 7 smiths for me trigger jobs. same as he carry's. good enuff for me. did 1 of the 1st ctc grips as i have small hands(size #8 glove) 3 full size. 3 compacts. all 9mm. 1 .45 bedroom gun. too f-----g heavy to carry. dont even own a holster. did the ctc thingy and trimmed a bit for me. SPECTACULAR. early on in the process. his work is even better now.

3. pics. cant post or load. when Lynn gets back form T,D.I. this Monday if u still want pics he will do for me and i will send lmk.

u cant do wrong with anything he does.

bigkracka
08-19-10, 15:13

Have you tried a 4th gen 19?

Jay Cunningham
08-19-10, 15:18
This thread is THREE AND A HALF YEARS OLD, guys...

:big_boss:

VA_Dinger
08-19-10, 15:29
dinger

David did 3 glocks for me
1. grip reduction were the best in the business. had 3 done by all the big name people. not near as good.

2. did 7 smiths for me trigger jobs. same as he carry's. good enuff for me. did 1 of the 1st ctc grips as i have small hands(size #8 glove) 3 full size. 3 compacts. all 9mm. 1 .45 bedroom gun. too f-----g heavy to carry. dont even own a holster. did the ctc thingy and trimmed a bit for me. SPECTACULAR. early on in the process. his work is even better now.

3. pics. cant post or load. when Lynn gets back form T,D.I. this Monday if u still want pics he will do for me and i will send lmk.

u cant do wrong with anything he does.

Roger that, I'd love to see some pictures. I've seen LAV's CT grips and HK45 with Bowie Tactical work but pictures of more of his work is always interesting.

wahoo95
08-19-10, 16:01
I love the look and feel of a stippled and reduced Glock if done tastefully.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/ODGlock1.jpg

Bowie Tactical
08-19-10, 16:25
Please note the above pix by wahoo95 are NOT my work. My grip reductions are true reductions. They take the back strap parallel with the front. This is only an ever so slight thining of the polymer above. I state this not knocking the work but i have had some people send me guns from this smith ticked off as all get out wanting them redone when they thought they were getting a full reduction.

David Bowie

wahoo95
08-19-10, 16:38
Please note the above pix by wahoo95 are NOT my work. My grip reductions are true reductions. They take the back strap parallel with the front. This is only an ever so slight thining of the polymer above. I state this not knocking the work but i have had some people send me guns from this smith ticked off as all get out wanting them redone when they thought they were getting a full reduction.

David Bowie

My apologies David as I should have noted that when I posted the pics. That work was done by Wendell Tactical who is no longer in business as far I as I know.

I've always been a fan of your work and have directed several people to you after they saw my Glocks and wanted similar work done.