PDA

View Full Version : Silencer for Colt 6920

Infidel1975
05-25-09, 18:00
I am new to the silencer/suppresser game and want a little advice.I know I have to fill out forms etc. but I want to know what would be the best silencer for a stock Colt 6920 with a 16 inch barrell? Will the silencer make a 16 inch bbl. too front heavy and do any of you guys run a silencer on a 16 inch bbl? I do not mind paying top dollar for top quality.Really just need to know what is the best silencer to purchase for my Colt.Thanks in advance.Also,will I have to modify my rifle in any way to attach the silencer?

Mr.Goodtimes
05-25-09, 18:29
if its a quick detach suppressor, you will have to have a new Muzzle break or Flash Hider installed to allow the suppressor to be attached. this is simple, as the muzzle break just screws on in place of your old one, you just need a wrench to get it off.

some quick detach suppressors actually attach to the standard A2 flash hider.

AAC makes a great can, and the M4-1000 is a great bang for your buck. Ill be purchasing one as soon as funds permit.

j-dubya
05-28-09, 07:17
i would suggest a surefire 556ar. it will allow the suppressor to be mounted back over the barrel about 3 inches. this is also a lighter suppressor than many. both of those qualities is what i would look for for your application.

jeremy

mpardun
05-28-09, 08:23
I have no doubt that AAC M42000 and Knights are good products as well, but if you are going to go down this route (a decision I made 2 years ago now) and pay a $200 fee...you may as well have the best! Knights and SF are closer in price, AAC is ~2/3 the price of the SF.

THE one to beat: SureFire: FA556k (Fast Attach, compact). I have 5 AR's from a 10.5" Noveske SBR (FH556 adapter), LMT M4 (FH556 adapter), Noveske N 4 SwitchBlock Recce (16") (MB556 adapter), TacSol .22LR (FH556 adapter), MSTN 10.5 Noveske SwitchBlock SBR (FH556 adapter) on the way in 2 weeks.

Why SureFire?:

Very light relative to others
the shortest (Over All Length of suppressor & shortest OAL of the rifle when attached)
Quick Detach is very effective & robust (on/off in 3 secs and NO POI impact...I would say it is an accuracy enhancer!)
A good selection of highly effective FlashHider and Muzzle Break fast attach adapters
Lifetime warranty by a company you KNOW will be there in the future
Grant will get you a fair price at G&R (best in the US)
...Hey, it's SureFire (you will pay a premium, but you know it's worth it)

FH556 (Flash Hider: good for 10.5"+ (better than A2 performance + barb wire cutter feature)
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/FH-556212A_large.jpg
MB556 (Muzzle Break: this is an amazing device, eliminates ALL recoil, very quick follow-up shots...watch out on anything shorter than 14.5")
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/MB556K_large2.jpg
FA556k Suppressor Mounted:
http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/FA556K_large2.jpg

mpardun
05-28-09, 08:31
If you have a 16" 6920, your A2 flash hider will need to be swapped out.

On my LMT (closest to 6920 specs I have), The A2 came off easily with a crescent wrench

The SF MB/FH 556's come with many spacers of various siuzes and Rocksett (super hard/heat resistant version of LockTite), installation takes 10 mins and can be done at home, no issues.

markm
05-28-09, 08:57
If money is not object, the SPR/M4 from AAC is the best can you can get. Especially for a 16" barrel.

Construction is superior to anything out there, and it reflexes back over the barrel which helps you in two ways.

1. Less additional length and less front heavy.

2. Less back pressure/gas in the face.

I run a can on a 14.5" barrel, and it's a little front heavy. Everything is a trade off, but you'll like it.

(also... the SPR/M4 allows you to manipulate your POI shift should you have any)

decodeddiesel
05-28-09, 09:44
If money is not object, the SPR/M4 from AAC is the best can you can get. Especially for a 16" barrel.

Construction is superior to anything out there, and it reflexes back over the barrel which helps you in two ways.

1. Less additional length and less front heavy.

2. Less back pressure/gas in the face.

I run a can on a 14.5" barrel, and it's a little front heavy. Everything is a trade off, but you'll like it.

(also... the SPR/M4 allows you to manipulate your POI shift should you have any)

Mark, I am looking at the M4/SPR for my 14.5" LMT. I understand the can reflexes and all that, but I am really unclear about the length added to weapon information I am seeing, I am not sure if they are saying the length added to the weapon is from the 14.5" barrel or the 16.1" barrel + adapter. How long is the barrel on your 14.5" with the can mounted?

markm
05-28-09, 09:50
but I am really unclear about the length added to weapon information I am seeing

The length added to the weapon is the additional length starting from the end of the mount. So if the mount adds 1.5 inches and the can adds 4.5 to the length of the weapon, the true additional lenth to a barrel with no flash hider is 6 inches, for example.

How long is the barrel on your 14.5" with the can mounted?

I'm running M4-1000s. I'd have to measure what the total effective lenth is. I'd guess it's somewhere close to a 20 inch barrel.

decodeddiesel
05-28-09, 09:59
The length added to the weapon is the additional length starting from the end of the mount. So if the mount adds 1.5 inches and the can adds 4.5 to the length of the weapon, the true additional lenth to a barrel with no flash hider is 6 inches, for example.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

AlanD
06-01-09, 18:58
I'm in the same situation as the original poster.

Has anyone had issues with 6920 barrels regarding bore/barrel alignment and barrel suppressor mounting regarding risk of baffle strikes.

Thanks

Alan

COLT6933
06-01-09, 22:01
I'm in the same situation as the original poster.

Has anyone had issues with 6920 barrels regarding bore/barrel alignment and barrel suppressor mounting regarding risk of baffle strikes.

Thanks

Alan

I have not run into any issues. After installing the suppressor it is advised to look down the bore and make sure nothing seems out of alignment. I prefer the surefire FA556AR. I run it on my 6933 and 6920.