PDA

View Full Version : GPS watches?

30 cal slut
05-26-09, 20:28
time for another watch thread. :p

wow, where have i been. i guess they make watches with gps now.

i would imagine a digital watch packed with all sorts of electronic doodads would be less durable than a mechanical watch.

anybody actually T&E one?

Middlelength
05-26-09, 20:43
The garmin models work pretty well. I had a buddy that used one a lot in Iraq. The battery life sucked when the GPS was on though. I know that Sunzio? makes really fancy ones that include a GPS, compass, barometer, etc, but I don't imagine too many people can afford one of those.

I would guess they will start coming down in price soon. Right now I think you are looking at around $300-$400 to get a decent one.

murphy j
05-26-09, 20:52
I know quite a few runners that use the Garmin models. They love them. I know a couple guys that have even laid out a trail race using them.

10MMGary
05-27-09, 00:20
FWIW my Son wore one(Suunto watch with the GPS feature as well as multiple other features) daily for his last deployment in Iraq. He is in the 1st LAR(25MM bushmaster gunner) and he couldn't destroy it. Trust me this is my Son we're talking about, and as a younger man he could break an solid steel anvil. Additionally I have been using their dive computers for at least 12 years and have never had one fail.

rob_s
05-27-09, 05:57
Interesting thread. Maybe having a GPS in the watch would inspire me to actually wear one. :D

I'd like to see their Elementum Terra line with the GPS since they actually look good as well.

Sidewinder6
05-27-09, 20:35
For the money you pay, the Suunto doesnt hold up to regular use.

The GPS works IF you set the updates fast and stand out in the open for a few minutes while you take a fix.

You can store it and up/download it to computers and google earth so you can see where you have been .

The best features are the compass and barametric sensors.

If you turn the GPS off, the watch runs for several weeks without recharging. If you leave the GPS on, if only last a couple hours.

Charges off a USB connection. If it goes dead, you are toast. Done.

I have had the Bezzle fall off and the rubber cover in the buttons fall off from using them.

For the amount of buttonology you need to run these, I would recommend a different model with just the Compass and Altimeter and get a hand held Garmin to hand on your backback. The display will be more informative when your in deep kimche, and it is faster and more reliable.

Supposedly some of these short commings are fixed with the X-10 but the dealers are still trying to dump their inventory of the X-9's.

Suunto does stand behind their products IF you have the receipt. You have to send it back which means you need something else in the mean time. More hastle that is it worth.

YMMV.

iroc_dis
05-28-09, 07:48
I know quite a few runners that use the Garmin models. They love them. I know a couple guys that have even laid out a trail race using them.

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 201 for running for about 2 years now. It works suprisingly well although it uses an older GPS receiver which has since been outdone in the 301/305 models. The battery life is fair, I keep it on the highest "pace smoothing" so it is taking the most amount of coordinate points, running the battery down the quickest. Even on that setting I believe it lasts for maybe 10-12 hours at a time.

When I get some spare change, I'll probably upgrade to a 301. You can find them for a pretty reasonable price if you poke around online.

Littlelebowski
05-28-09, 07:50
FWIW my Son wore one(Suunto watch with the GPS feature as well as multiple other features) daily for his last deployment in Iraq. He is in the 1st LAR(25MM bushmaster gunner) and he couldn't destroy it. Trust me this is my Son we're talking about, and as a younger man he could break an solid steel anvil. Additionally I have been using their dive computers for at least 12 years and have never had one fail.

What company in 1st LAR? I was there in Delta 96-00.

10MMGary
05-29-09, 16:30
What company in 1st LAR? I was there in Delta 96-00.

He is in Bravo Co 1st platoon. "Highlanders, Tip of the spear. He has been a driver no the 25MM gunner and even was acting VC for for several weeks. Thank you for your service.