PDA

View Full Version : What to put in my disaster preparation kit

Malin
05-29-09, 04:34
My friend is part of this group that stresses disaster preparedness (http://www.atwussd.com). After he talked to me about it, I realized I’m really not prepared at all.

I’ve decided to get supplies that would be helpful in the case of a natural disaster, or in the event of a terrorist attack or something similar. I know I should purchase canned food, bottled water, blankets, flashlights, first aid kit, etc. What are some other things I should include that I might be missing?

\\\"The only factor becoming scarce in a world of abundance is human attention.\\\" Kevin Kelly

Kimbo
05-29-09, 04:40
You seem to have an idea of what you need. Be careful you can go broke rather quickly if you buy everything you need/want all at once. Gradually work your way up, starting with essentials to luxuries and such.

K.L. Davis
05-31-09, 01:37
From experience... the things that a lot of folks forget are/is stuff like:

OTC and RX Meds
Extra glasses or corrective lenses if needed
Supplies for Dental Needs
Cash/Barter Material
Photocopies of IDs, credit cards and insurance/banking information
Pet Supplies
Tool Kit
Baby Wipes & Goldbond!
Special Hygiene Supplies
List of phone numbers and addresses
Medical History for each member of your family/group
Recent picture of each person in your family/group

Some of this stuff seems mundane, but sometimes the end of the world is not as exciting as you might think.

Beat Trash
05-31-09, 09:44
Think "Camping while in doors", or if things get too bad, camping while out doors.

Any and all camping gear to include, but not limited to;

Sleeping bags
Tent
Coleman 1 or 2 burner stove
propane bottle for above
adapter to use the 20lb tank from your gas grill for above
(don't use above in doors please!)
LED flashlights (the little AA type are worth their weight in gold)
LED Lantern(Less of a fire hazard than the gas lanterns)
Extra Batteries
Defensive firearm (handgun/long gun)
Ammunition for above
Wind up/battery operated radio

Sit down and make a list, in the order you feel most likely to occur to least likely, of what type of event could cause a disruption in public services/SHTF event.

Next to each event, list what items you feel you would need to survive.

Decide how long you think you would have to rely on your disaster kit.
Double that. (Call me pessimistic...)
Plan and supply your preparation kit for that time frame.

As you finish your list, compare the items in the second list. You will find a reoccurring group of items you will need in every type of incident.

Food
Water
Shelter
First Aid (KISS - If you have no idea what it is or how to use it, should you get it?)
Personal Hygiene (Yes, Sh*T happens, even during a disaster. Also, the ability to clean your hands prior to eating will be even more important, as you might become dirtier than normal)
Information
Self Defense

Then think of simplistic ways to make survival more survivable. Such as canned food can be eaten out of the can, but it may taste a bit better if you can heat it.

Don't underestimate the importance of emotional health. Something as simple as a pack of playing cards to pass the time. Takes up little space, would help pass the time, especially if you have a family.

Keep all of your stuff together. During an incident would be a bad time to try to remember where you last put...

Some use those Rubber Made tubs. Some who are concerned about having to flee, use back packs. Some use both.

Check your supplies periodically, replacing stuff as needed such as batteries,ect.

Keep the gas tank of your vehicle at least half full at all times. If you have to evacuate, it's a bad time to have to get gas.

03humpalot
05-31-09, 17:13
A quality AR would be a good start.

Truckload of Crown Royal and mixers

Cans of pork and beans

Shitpaper

Ammo

LOTS of condoms

That about sums it up;)

K.L. Davis
06-01-09, 10:07
First Aid (KISS - If you have no idea what it is or how to use it, should you get it?)
But of course... just because you don't know how to use it, does not mean that someone else won't; and ironically, this is one of those things that if you need it, you may not be able to use it.

Also, meds and med supplies are great bartering material; in some situations it seems that the demand for even the most basic OTC supplies out paces the demand for small arms and ammo.

bigshooter
06-03-09, 22:19
But of course... just because you don't know how to use it, does not mean that someone else won't; and ironically, this is one of those things that if you need it, you may not be able to use it.

Also, meds and med supplies are great bartering material; in some situations it seems that the demand for even the most basic OTC supplies out paces the demand for small arms and ammo.

+1

Not a surgeon, but I've got an assortment of suture needles, scalpels, and surgical instruments in my FAK.

would prefer finding someone qualified to use them but as a last resort would attempt it myself, perhaps on myself if needed:confused:

Many lives have been saved by field surgeons throughout history long before the importance of infection control was known, even a very basic grasp of current medical knowledge puts you years ahead of many of those early life saving field surgeons.

I am certainly not advocating unqualified amateurs perform medical or surgical procedures, but when all bets are off, as unqualified as I may be, I'd rather be prepared with the tools that could significantly increase the odds of survival.

Malin
07-20-09, 13:33
Those are all good. In addition to survival kits though, I've been thinking about taking a disaster preparation class (http://www.atwussd.com). Has anyone had any experiences with one of these?