PDA

View Full Version : LMT or imposter

kyrin88
05-29-09, 08:50
[SIZE="6"]I am interested in buying a Lmt upper, but i am not sure that the one I am looking at is really a LMT. The guy who is selling it says that it was assembled and test fired by LMT, he also says that it is 1/9 twist with a wilson barrel. This is very strange because I dont recall LMt having 1/9 twist rate in their barrels. You guys will probably know more about this than i do.

Thomas M-4
05-29-09, 09:01
[SIZE="6"]I am interested in buying a Lmt upper, but i am not sure that the one I am looking at is really a LMT. The guy who is selling it says that it was assembled and test fired by LMT, he also says that it is 1/9 twist with a wilson barrel. This is very strange because I dont recall LMt having 1/9 twist rate in their barrels. You guys will probably know more about this than i do.

That doesn't sound right my lmt is stamped MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 CB on the barrel also lmt roll marks there upper on the left side in white lettering [ LMT ]

RD62
05-29-09, 09:17
LMT makes stuff for several other companies. While the upper you speak of may be made in part or entirely of LMT parts, if it was the LMT commonly referred to on this board it would be 1x7 and marked as LMT. I have seen uppers like the ones you speak of listed on Gunbroker and I contacted the seller and he gave me some story about it being made by LMT for another retailer. I'd say in this case of unknown pedigree, I would caution buyer beware. And if you really want an LMT buy one that you are sure is!

Saginaw79
05-29-09, 20:46
10 to 1 its a M and A Parts upper as they say its test fired by LMT and made from their parts

Its probably a good upper, but not worthy of full LMT prices

Going4Broke
05-30-09, 00:48
10 to 1 its a M and A Parts upper as they say its test fired by LMT and made from their parts

Its probably a good upper, but not worthy of full LMT prices

+1...

tolson68
05-30-09, 01:52
There are quite a few posers out there. I found a guy trying to sell some upper receivers that he claimed were YHM, but they don't have M4 feed ramps. Double checked with YHM and they don't even make an upper receiver that doesn't have M4 feed ramps.

Who can you trust?

Deadcenter45
05-30-09, 02:57
There are quite a few posers out there. I found a guy trying to sell some upper receivers that he claimed were YHM, but they don't have M4 feed ramps. Double checked with YHM and they don't even make an upper receiver that doesn't have M4 feed ramps.

Who can you trust?

Try one of the forum sponsors to start with ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com

jjw
05-30-09, 18:35
1. lmt does not use Wilson barrels

2. all lmt parts except BC are clearly marked

3. all lmt barrels have .556 and 1/7 out past the front site

4.. i am a dealer and nothing soiounds correct. lmt did make a few 1/9 about 4 yrs ago, tho. i have 1.

5.. be careful, ask a pro on the board or get pic with ur phone

email id u need more help
blf@odspec,com

kyrin88
05-30-09, 19:25
This is the pic of the upper I was talking about. I asked him to send pics of the barrel markings and he would not send them. See if one of you guys recognize this. he claims it is factory lmt with 5.56 chamber 1/9 twist and a wilson barrel.:confused:

Thomas M-4
05-30-09, 19:41
This is the pic of the upper I was talking about. I asked him to send pics of the barrel markings and he would not send them. See if one of you guys recognize this. he claims it is factory lmt with 5.56 chamber 1/9 twist and a wilson barrel.:confused:

My m-4 upper Lmt 14.5'' barrel
infront of the FSB it is marked MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 CB
On the left side of the upper receiver it is marked in white in large letters LMT

That upper isnt marked LMT in large white letters.

My opinion that isnt an LMT .

Is it supposed to be new?? Lmt attaches a QC card to there uppers and lowers when it leaves the factory.

NetJunkie
05-30-09, 19:45
BCM has said they will be getting in a lot more LMT uppers soon. I'd wait.

m-w
05-30-09, 20:53
Remember there are many out there who are taking advantage of the current market to find buyers looking for immediate gratification and selling product that is not as advertised, overpriced or both. If you have doubts about the seller, walk away. There are too many reputable dealers who are selling the real thing at reasonable prices to go with anyone remotely shady. You may not get it right away, but when you do you will have no doubt as to the quality and origin of the product.

QuietShootr
05-30-09, 21:37
****ing M1S/Nesard/Sherluk crap.

tolson68
05-30-09, 21:47
I would think that LMT uses a unique forging mark to distinguish their receivers from others. Can anyone confirm this?

Thomas M-4
05-30-09, 21:51
Take a look you can see the LMT mark on the receiver and the yellow QC tag attached to the barrel thats exactly how mine came and looks
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=LMT+14.5+URG
I recommend that you do wait [try to get on a email list]

Thomas M-4
05-30-09, 22:01
I would think that LMT uses a unique forging mark to distinguish their receivers from others. Can anyone confirm this?

I think they call it a birds head or something ??:confused:
But it looks like a birds head

mechelaar
05-30-09, 22:22
I think they call it a birds head or something ??:confused:
But it looks like a birds head

All the LMTs I have seen were made by Cardinal Forge (marked with a stylized cardinal's head). Cardinal Forge makes uppers for a number of manufacturers, not just LMT.

Thomas M-4
05-30-09, 22:36
All the LMTs I have seen were made by Cardinal Forge (marked with a stylized cardinal's head). Cardinal Forge makes uppers for a number of manufacturers, not just LMT.

Oh hea the mighty cardinal thats right couldn't think what it was called.
Looks like a birds head to me.

mechelaar
05-30-09, 22:37
Oh hea the mighty cardinal thats right couldn't think what it was called.
Looks like a birds head to me.

Well, a cardinal IS a bird. :D

5pins
05-30-09, 23:52

Well if he will not send you picks of the barrel markings then that should tell you something.

kry226
05-31-09, 06:30
Please correct me, if I am wrong, but I don't believe LMT has used Cardinal exclusively. I certainly believe I have seen some Cerro Forge uppers as well.

Can anyone confirm?

mechelaar
05-31-09, 15:51
Please correct me, if I am wrong, but I don't believe LMT has used Cardinal exclusively. I certainly believe I have seen some Cerro Forge uppers as well.

Can anyone confirm?

That very well could be. I'm just saying all the ones I've seen are Cardinal. I know I've heard about LMT uppers from a few years back with no forge mark at all or a L mark. I've also seen two different cardinal marks. One upper I have has a cardinal outline. The other (newer LMT) has a solid cardinal.

drrufo
06-15-09, 00:30
I bought a 14.5" upper at the Costa Mesa show earlier in the month that the seller claimed was an LMT assembled by some gunsmith at M&A.

It has a Cerro Forge upper and the barrel is rolled marked 1/7 or 9 5.56 and it has High Standard under the hand guard. It has an MP mark on the bolt with a blue insert.

It shoots very well and I don't really have a complaint, the price was the same as the DPMS and Double Star uppers. It would be nice if it was even close to the claims of the seller.

SWATcop556
06-15-09, 00:39
Well if he will not send you picks of the barrel markings then that should tell you something.

I agree. If I'm going to send my hard earned money to someone I'm making damn sure that I'm getting what I paid for. If the seller will not disclose something as simple as a barrel marking then I would wait for BravoCo or G&R to get some instock.

If he wishes to conceal the barrel marking then it sounds like a mutt upper that he wants to sell as LMT. While probably an ok upper, because of how he is handling a simple pic request, the only thing he would get from me is the finger.

bkb0000
06-15-09, 01:00
it's a load of crap. i've seen those on GB as well, and it's at LEAST borderline false advertising. the claim is that they're "LMT" uppers because they're build on stripped uppers that may have been machined by LMT... that's pretty ****in loose to be advertising the entire upper assembly as LMT.

and wilson does not make great barrels.

LMT did make 1/9 twist barrels, but they're not currently in production.

LMT uses a number of forgings for their uppers- I have a cardinal LMT and a keyhole LMT in my shop right now, both direct from LMT. i'm sure theres plenty more, times being what they are. Both of those are perfectly respectable forgings, as are others. it's actually pretty damn rare for someone to product a "bad" upper receiver forging